I now own the Motion Dive .Tokyo Performance Package

Started by Slackjaw, May 03, 2008, 06:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slackjaw

First impression is that it seems very stable on Vista.  The controller is a decent build and comes with an adequate thick padded case.  It is quite simple to work with and quickly becomes familiar.  My 5 year old put on a show for me last night on the 108" screen in our playroom.  It comes with a lot of ok clips but I purchased a couple of pro loop sets from Livid and it really comes alive!  Setting the VLink to what reactions you want assigned to your actions is very simple from the VG-99.

As far as the software goes, I think it is very decent.  I did trials on several packages listed in another thread.  I like MDT's approach and simplicity.  I suppose if I was a professional VJ I guess I could want more fine details.  But I'm not and it's secondary to the main point of playing an instrument.  Frankly, I really don't know what else I would want.  Maybe if I saw a better package I might know the difference but at this point I don't care.  For $299 I get a great software and hardware setup.  I think the controller really makes it.  Freedom from the keyboard is great.

Look for us at Grey Fox Bluegrass in the pre-festival Foxhole.  We'll have a large tent with performance space in front of a 10' (maybe 15' by then) rear projection.  Also we are on the bill for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at Phanphest 4.0 running an all-night audio-visual extravaganza!

I am glad to answer any questions.

My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

MotorBongo

Hi,

I realize this package is pretty obsolete now, and this thread is pretty old as well, but let me try.

I ran into an 'as new' Edirol Motion Dive .Tokyo package (the MD-P1 controller & the MD software).

Anybody else had a try at installing this these days ? (on a Win XP or Vista, later won't work)

Support from digitalstage is gone, BUT you need a pesky 4-digit code to add to the supplied 11-digit code for the software to run.

Any ideas/related experiences ?

Thanks/regards

Elantric

QuoteI ran into an 'as new' Edirol Motion Dive .Tokyo package (the MD-P1 controller & the MD software).

Hope you did not pay much for it

I never owned  Motion Dive .Tokyo myself

But folks I trust (VanceG) who have tried most of these prefer other apps - Livid Instruments Cell DNA  used to be a major supplier of Video DJ apps

here's a roll call of Video DJ Apps

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101.0

and read

"What is Roland V-Link"?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37.0

MotorBongo

(For a change this time ;D ), I didn't make a too deep investigation what would be the best approach here;
I just ran into this package and was curious to it as a 'missing link' between some V-Link stuff & PC.

I'm trying to get it to work, and have agreed with seller I can return it.

If I'm not mistaken, also based on the thread you linked, that V-Link could be considered as an easy starting template,

... but in essence most of what V-Link does could also be replicated by programming a generic controller
(say the Edirol UR-80 - but then in non-V-Link mode  ;) ). right ?

Regards

Elantric

Basically if you enable "Guitar to MIDI" on VG-99 / GR-55 - then the MIDI out jack will be spewing MIDI Note on / off messages and thse can trigger video clips in sync with your live guitar playing performance.
Connect the VG-99 / GR-55 MIDI Out to the Video DJ rig ( could be an iPad with a MIDI adapter running a Video DJ app ) or a PC  / Mac running a Video DJ app.

read the list for  Video DJ apps

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101.0

and reread

"What is Roland V-Link"?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37.0

but realize the Motion Dive Tokyo is now 9 years old

! No longer available
QuoteD Fins 8 months ago
Does anyone know where I can get a key code for this? I've looked on the website and no support. I got the software to install and I have the serial number. Can anyone help me please! 
Reply  ·

Reinaldo Torres 1 year ago
Motion Dive Tokio was a disaster. I used to use Motion Dive 3 (the previous version) and it was great, I had 4 powerbooks 12" G4 back then and 2 of them had MD3, the other one had Arkaos and the other one Modul8. But Motion Dive Tokio took away lots of the features of MD3. I do not recall which ones but.... horrible and I do not have a clue why. Then they never upgraded it, 6 years later still the same.
Reply  ·

ORUPRANKSTAZ 2 years ago
GREAT! This video is only 4 years LATE! :D
Too bad Motion Dive won't work past OS X Tiger.
Trust me. I know OS X VERY well.
You should remove this video, before I lose even more respect for gearwire.

gridsleep 3 years ago
+gridsleep Motion Dive works with Mac up to 10.5. That's it.

MotorBongo

Fully agreed, I realize it's a dead end street. Sometimes it's fun to poke around in such streets (won't let a pesky missing 4-digit code stop me), but there has to come a moment to leave again.

The friendly people of Roland-EU support do a last attempt for me (contacting Jpn), but if that doesn't work out then it's clear, return it.