FTP - Show us your Triple Play Guitars

Started by merman93, April 20, 2013, 12:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ad_Astra

tomtheguitarguy

Quote from: USpirit on May 07, 2013, 09:56:31 PM
thanks for the answer.
I would never complain about that ;)

I use gk3 and vg-99 with acoustic now and was wanting to do something similar, pads washes etc.

I have yet to hear from anyone who actually has installed ftp on steel string acoustic so was wanting to hear if anyone actually had before committing to buying one.

and sorry if this has turned into a bit of a thread hijack but it is sort of related :)

A late answer for you USpirit, but I installed my FTP onto my Breedlove - works great!  Here's a photo, (the controller and pickup aren't mounted as I took the photo to rant to Fishman about how they switched to black mounting hardware instead of the clear)...
http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

Cristofe

Yup, works great on my Dillion aoustic.....they I did switch from phospher bronze strings to steel for better tracking.

kenact

Quote from: Cristofe on January 17, 2014, 12:45:44 PM
I did switch from phospher bronze strings to steel for better tracking.

DR has a Zebra Acoustic-Electric string.  I wonder how those would track and if the acoustic property would be negatively affected.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Tone

Finally got round to shooting my Steinberger ZT3 with TriplePlay.
Laser cut stainless steel sheet & polyurethane cast mod -- 4 grub screws adjust the hex pickup height.

Brent Flash

I have a Blue ZT3 and it is a great guitar! The Z-Trem is a thing of beauty! One of the best things about it is when you have it set up right and are using the bar when you let it go it falls into the lock position so that bends on strings are not as difficult to reach pitch. Also the balance it just right for me. Most people though...just can't get past it not having a head stock.  ::)

Tone

Yeah, I agree, an excellent axe. The only issue I've had is with the zero fret -- the high strings G, B, and E, have cut a small groove in it. Bending at the lower frets will jump the strings out of this groove with a "click".

Brent Flash

Quote from: Tone on March 23, 2014, 04:08:11 AM
Yeah, I agree, an excellent axe. The only issue I've had is with the zero fret -- the high strings G, B, and E, have cut a small groove in it. Bending at the lower frets will jump the strings out of this groove with a "click".
Yes, zero fret guitars have this problem but can be solved with some light polishing on the edges of the groove. I do not do much bending down near the zero fret so I don't notice it much. Also no one else ever hears the little tick it makes so I just leave them alone.

One other thing that I had told to me about Steinberger basses, I let a friend of mine play one of my basses and his complaint was it was balanced and that it bothered him not having to hold the bass neck up. In other words he liked his bass being neck heavy and it bothered him that it was balanced and he didn't have to hold on to it or it would take a dive for his knees.  :o

Tone

... digressing a bit here, but this zero-fret nut I made a few years ago works quite well -- It sits very close to the fret and the grooves fit the strings snugly.
13-56 gauge on a modified 1970 Yamaha FG-325.

eelectric

My Hodge Podge Teardrop, started out as a Indy Customs Vox replica. I replace the neck, tuners, pickups and all electronics. Plays great and the triple play just adds to the fun factor of this thing.

Tone

Quote from: Spider on July 21, 2013, 01:24:16 PM
Schecter Omen 6 (with custom wiring and PU) aka "Triple on one"

Spider, I'm planning to mount two hex PUs (GK3-Internal Kit + FTP on a Steinberger ZT-3) very close to each other as you have done on your Schecter.
Have you had any issues with magnetic interference, and also, why did you opt for the GK3 furthest from the bridge?

mbenigni

Quote from: Tone on March 22, 2014, 03:38:15 AM
Finally got round to shooting my Steinberger ZT3 with TriplePlay.
Laser cut stainless steel sheet & polyurethane cast mod -- 4 grub screws adjust the hex pickup height.

So cool.  Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that a scalloped fretboard?

Tone

Yes, fully scalloped carbon fiber neck with stainless steel frets, made by Moses Carbon Graphite USA.

mbenigni

Quote from: Tone on August 18, 2014, 11:22:39 AM
Yes, fully scalloped carbon fiber neck with stainless steel frets, made by Moses Carbon Graphite USA.

Scalloped carbon fiber!  Awesome!!!

alfstone

My Godin Freeway SA.

Works great. I had to use the second thinner PU adapter (I mean NOT the thinnest). The distance bridge-pickup on the guitar is 1 cm, so no problem for the FTP PU.

Using a Kenton MIDI USB host, last night I connected the guitar to a Roland SonicCell. Ad first glance, no problem. Probably there's the need for recalibrating the sensibility of the FTP PU.

Anyway, almost perfect, I'm very satisfied.

Alfredo

Tonato

Very interesting Thread.

Alfstone, lovely rig... That is exactly what I am planning to do with a LGXT, using a tripleplay to go to the GR33 or an external roland sound module....

I have a simple question... Do you use a VG unit as well? If so, d o you feel that the piezo does not provide a sound as nice as the GK pickup used in a VG unit?

Hope this questions makes sense

alfstone

Quote from: Tonato on December 21, 2014, 05:32:50 AM
Very interesting Thread.

Alfstone, lovely rig... That is exactly what I am planning to do with a LGXT, using a tripleplay to go to the GR33 or an external roland sound module....

I have a simple question... Do you use a VG unit as well? If so, d o you feel that the piezo does not provide a sound as nice as the GK pickup used in a VG unit?

Hope this questions makes sense

Tonato, thanks. Yes, I have a VG-99, but I can't give you a comparison just because I haven't any GK PU-mounting guitar...anyway, if using the correct setup, both my (piezo equipped) Godin ACS-SA and Godin Freeway sound rather good.

Alfredo

Elantric

Spider

Schecter is gone.

and (BTW: it is shame that FTP couldn't store hex pup sensitivity for few guitars...)

Tonato

Quote from: Elantric on April 20, 2013, 12:29:18 PM

Here is my FTP (at this hour!).
Its currently on a Godin xTSA - had to relocate the bridge PU to make more room for the FTP PU.

How to install Tripleplay on Godin xTSA
1) Unscrew all 4 mounting screws for the stock xTSA Bridge PU

2) Slide the stock xTSA Bridge PU 1/4" towards the Neck - to make room for the FTP PU.

3) Use clear Packing Tape and tape down the stock xTSA Bridge PU

4) Now that there is room, Mount the FTP PU and Controller.

[/img]

Hi Guys! Having a Godin LGXT and an FTP I've found quite tricky to mount the FTP hex pickup due to the lack of space. I did it but it is not entirely in contact with the guitar, which annoys me a bit.

I am going to buy a pickup ring to modify it (cut the bottom edge) so the FTP pickup has more space....

But, when I was gonna buy it, I came across with different models, "Slanted, Flat underside" and "non slanted, flat underside". For my common sense, I was gonna buy the non slanted, flat underside. But I m not entirely sure and don't wanna waste £10 on them.

Here is the webpage... Do you think is the n 11? "Pickup surrounds for hum bucker not slanted flat underside plastic"

MANY THANKS!!!

Edit: By the way, here is a pic of my beloved LGXT :)

musicamex

Riff Anvil custom synth guitar.  High quality woods 40 yo or older .  5pc neck through.  Ebony fretboard SANS INLAY.

Custom dual humbucker w super switch.  Graphtec ghost saddles, custom thickness hipshot bridge, Graphtec hexpander and acoustiphonic.  And at least temporarily the FTP.

musicamex

Got a duplicate photo in my last post.  Here is a closeup.  This guitar is about 6 years old.  Lots of gig time.  Nitrocellulose laq (about 12 coats woth 2000 grit wet sand between coats) isnt as durable as poly but sounds better imho.

kenact

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

MusicOverGear

Here's mine. The 3 Knobs are dual duty. When a 1/4" cable is plugged in it's the 1950's, when GK cable is plugged in it's the future: GK Vol, GK SW1 and 2. The pickup selector doesn't do anything on the digital side

My FTP is on my pedalboard, split off from my Boss GP-10.

So basically I have 3 modes:
Dot into tube amp
GK guitar into GP-10
GK guitar into GP-10 PLUS MainStage using FTP.

In the last case I still bring in MIDI from GP-10, but just for the treadle, which becomes mod wheel, and the sustain pedal (saves real estate).

It was harder than a bolt-on setup to hack it all together, but it's much easier to use IMHO. I can just barely cope with my very minimal controls without getting out of the music and into my head. I don't understand how people cope with guitar with 10+ controls.

Then again organists seem to handle their giant console from a 1950's spaceship LOL

admin

QuoteMy FTP is on my pedalboard, split off from my Boss GP-10.

Details? pics?