IK Multimedia Blueboard

Started by mbenigni, October 15, 2013, 07:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Hello all.  I was wondering if anyone here has given the new IK Multimedia Blueboard a shot yet.  I'd like to hear about your impressions overall e.g. build quality, durability, latency (especially if you're looping.)  But specifically, I need to know whether their application can be configured to send messages out to a physical port to control outboard gear in addition to iOS apps.  For instance, I'd like to be able to route one expression pedal to a Kemper amp while the other expression pedal controls level in iOS Sampletank, or I'd like one footswitch to mute/unmute an iOS synth and change patches on the KPA, etc.

I have so many footcontrollers that almost work for me, I don't want to end up throwing another one on the pile.

Elantric

I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Most retailers still have zero in stock yet.

On paper it looks effective - but in practice it might have latency response issues  - like all other blutooth control devices BTW.

So it may be just fine using its buttons for patch changes, but the big test for me will be connecting an external expression pedal and setting it up to control a Wah-Wah in JamUpPro XT.

I predict the latency-lag  response time will be very noticeable. 

mbenigni

Thanks, Steve.  I'm trying to hold off myself but it sure looks convenient.  I hear you about bluetooth lag, though, and I'm particularly concerned about trying to hit downbeats if I use it to start/stop a looper app.

bbob

FWIW...Blueboard discussion on the Loopy HD forum including posts by IK Multimedia:

http://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/606/ik-multimedia-blueboard-loopy-hd

Bob

mbenigni

Thanks, bbob -  that will definitely be a good thread to watch.

admin

Early review of IK MultiMedia BlueBoard
https://www.iphonelife.com/blog/177/irig-blueboard-review
iRig BlueBoard Review
Mike Riley 10.31.13

The loadout for musicians is rapidly changing. Companies like IK Multimedia are redefining the way musicians interact with their instruments. One example of this is the company's recently released iRig BlueBoard ($99.99). Instead of having MIDI cables snake across the floor from foot pedals to control boards, the iRig BlueBoard communicates MIDI transitions wirelessly via Bluetooth. How well does this work? Read on to find out.

In its most basic form, the iRig BlueBoard is a box powered by 4 AAA batteries that consists of four programmatically assigned buttons. (this is my only criticism—why not make this a rechargeable device like most other modern Bluetooth accessories?) When a button is pressed, the BlueBoard wirelessly transmits the button's assigned MIDI control code via Bluetooth to a device that knows how to react to the code. In the case of IK Multimedia's product line, this can include both hardware and software. Most importantly, the free iRig BlueBoard App for iOS is what manages and routes these messages. These MIDI messages can then be sent to software such as IK's extremely popular AmpliTube ($19.99) guitar patch program, VocaLive ($19.99) for singers, and iGrand Piano ($19.99) for keyboardists. And because iRig BlueBoard is wireless, it doesn't need to plug into an iPhone or iPad's connector. As such, it leaves that port free for other accessories such as IK's iRig Stomp, iRig Mic, and iRig Keys.
iRig BlueBoard

Besides using it for the obvious guitar and keyboard MIDI controller configurations, the BlueBoard and accompanying BlueBoard app could also be used by stage and lighting crew to manage stage equipment controls that operate via MIDI signals. Since the wireless signal can be sent to devices 30 feet away from the BlueBoard coupled with the fact that the buttons are backlit when active, the BlueBoard makes an excellent and relatively inexpensive wireless MIDI controller for musicians and stage crew alike. The iRig BlueBoard also features two expansion TRS jacks for volume and wah foot pedals or any other continuous MIDI controller device. The fact that it is so lightweight and small enough to fit in a gig bag makes it that much easier to bring along to all types of performances. And because it broadcasts the codes via standard Bluetooth 4.0, the iRig BlueBoard works with Mac laptops as well as iPhones and iPads.

While the concept of a four-button wireless MIDI controller seems obvious and simple, it took a company like IK Multimedia to put the idea into affordable everyday practice. Just as AmpliTube and iRig Keys have permanently changed the way I play and compose with my musical instruments, so too has the iRig BlueBoard permanently altered the way I interact with MIDI-capable devices. No longer do I have to worry about tripping over MIDI cables or cluttering up my room with unnecessary wiring. Thank you, IK Multimedia!
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

admin

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/ik-multimedia-irig-blueboard-bluetooth-midi-pedalboard/

IK Multimedia iRig BlueBoard Bluetooth MIDI Pedalboard
Author's pic
By Jesse Hollington

We continue to be impressed by the number of creative and affordable music production accessories that have been ushered in with the evolution of the iPad as a music creation and production tool. In the same way that Apple's GarageBand brought music production from the professional studio into home and even mobile environments, clever accessory makers are producing accessories at price points accessible to bedroom musicians. Originally debuted at this year's International CES, IK Multimedia's iRig BlueBoard ($99) is a wireless MIDI pedalboard that connects to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch via Bluetooth, allowing the user to send MIDI control messages from the floor to any Core MIDI iOS app.

The basic premise of BlueBoard is a relatively simple one. Musicians usually have their hands occupied playing their instruments, making it tricky to send program and control changes that may be required for switching instrument sounds or adjusting volume, modulations, effects, or other parameters on-the-fly. BlueBoard solves this by allowing these MIDI commands to be activated by foot, much like the effects pedals and stomp boxes traditionally used by guitar players. BlueBoard provides four foot-switch buttons along with two ports for connecting standard external pedals, providing the user with up to six active controls at once. In addition, up to 32 banks can be configured, and the user can switch between banks on the fly, providing access to a total of 192 possible controls.

BlueBoard includes four backlight soft-touch pads, plus two jacks for connecting additional pedal/switch controllers, and draws its power from four AAA batteries. Unlike most stomp boxes, the device is constructed out of fairly durable plastic rather than metal. As the device is designed with the musician on-the-go in mind, however, this keeps it down to a more portable weight; it comes in at just under 9oz, slightly lighter than the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and is about the same width and one third of the depth. This all makes BlueBoard very suitable for tossing into a backpack, laptop bag, or instrument case for gigs on the go.

Rather than using a Lightning or Dock Connector cable, BlueBoard connects to your iOS device via Bluetooth, using a free iRig BlueBoard companion app available from the App Store. The BlueBoard hardware pairs directly with the app, using a sort of "ad hoc" Bluetooth LE pairing technology—you simply select the BlueBoard from within the app and you're ready to go; a visit to your iOS Bluetooth Settings is unnecessary, and in fact BlueBoard will only show up in your Bluetooth settings while it's actually connected, disappearing automatically once it's turned off or the BlueBoard app is shut down.

The BlueBoard app acts as a "bridge" between the BlueBoard hardware and the iOS Core MIDI subsystem, translating and sending MIDI commands from the BlueBoard to whichever MIDI app happens to be running, such as AmpliTube's SampleTank or Apple's GarageBand. Essentially, you load up the app, connect the BlueBoard to it, customize which program and control changes you want to assign to each bank or button, and then switch over to your MIDI app of choice; the BlueBoard app runs in the background, receiving signals from the pedalboard accessory and sending the appropriate MIDI commands through.

IK's app can run in one of two modes: Program Change or Control Change, depending on the musician's preferences and what needs to be controlled. In Program Change mode, each of the built-in buttons is statically assigned to a Program Change, in numeric sequence, from 1 to 32, while any connected external pedals can still be customized to send Control Changes. This mode is designed to allow for quick selection of different instrument patches or presets in apps like SampleTank. In Control Change mode, all buttons are used to send fully customizable Control Changes; the four built-in buttons act as simple on/off toggles while the external ports support analog controls such as pedals that can be calibrated to send continuous control changes such as volume adjustments. In Control Change mode, a Program Change can also be sent with each bank change, allowing the user to assign different instrument patches or presets for each bank of controls.

The app allows the user to choose to send MIDI commands on all channels simultaneously or only a single channel, allowing flexible integration with other MIDI external MIDI controllers. A backlight can also be toggled off from the app, or adjusted to one of fourteen intensity levels. Additional settings allow for independent calibration of external pedals, as well as the ability to set whether the user can switch through the 32 banks; in bank change mode, users can hold down the A and B buttons to switch to the next or previous control bank, however in order to facilitate this the buttons only send MIDI commands when released rather than right away on the initial press.

iRig BlueBoard is a clever and useful idea—as well as a very good implementation. The use of Bluetooth allows the controller to be conveniently placed without the need for extra cables, while also leaving the iOS device's Lightning or Dock Connector port open for connecting actual MIDI instruments or other accessories. Its construction is solid and durable without sacrificing portability, and the free iRig BlueBoard control app provides very flexible configuration options for using the device as either a Program Change or Control Change controller. The only really noteworthy downside is the lack of integrated continuous control change support—the built-in buttons act only as on/off toggles, requiring the user to purchase their own external continuous controllers for this functionality. This isn't as serious an omission as it sounds, however, since the choice of continuous controllers is often a personal preference that can vary widely between musicians and specific applications, and this provides the flexibility of allowing the user to choose the type of controller that works best for their needs. It's also particularly worth noting that BlueBoard's $100 price tag makes it a far more affordable solution than most other options; a wired MIDI pedal controller interface can run $100-$150—without a pedal—while only providing support for only a single Control Change, and wired multi-switch pedalboards can easily run over $300. Considered in totality, iRig BlueBoard is another example where IK Multimedia is providing great and very affordable iOS solutions for musicians, making it deserving of our high recommendation.

utensil

Quote from: mbenigni on October 15, 2013, 10:28:12 AM
Thanks, Steve.  I'm trying to hold off myself but it sure looks convenient.  I hear you about bluetooth lag, though, and I'm particularly concerned about trying to hit downbeats if I use it to start/stop a looper app.

I received mine a couple of days ago and though I haven't used with an external pedal, it works pretty well with loopy on the iphone/ipad and latency is not an issue at all. I've used it for several 30 min practice sessions. Build quality is not too bad , it could withstand a bit of heavy stomping and the buttons are responsive. Well worth the price if you use an ipad ftp setup IMO, I don't know how well battery life will stack up as I've not used it for extended period but I'm still running the 4 AAA's that it came with after about 8 hours of cumulative play so far.

Elantric

Utensil - thanks for the review

Curious which iPad type you own, as I understand Bluetooth 4.0 is recommended for lowest expression pedal control latency response. 

regardless - I just ordered one myself !

utensil

Quote from: Elantric on November 05, 2013, 11:36:06 AM
Utensil - thanks for the review

Curious which iPad type you own, as I understand Bluetooth 4.0 is recommended for lowest expression pedal control latency response. 

regardless - I just ordered one myself !

I've got the 32GB ipad 4 ( most recent generation before the new ipad air, i.e it has a retina display and lighting port) running ios 7. But after my first test with the ipad which worked fine, I've been using it with an iphone 5s with audiobus, jamup and loopy. the Blueboard app is pretty basic but overall this is what I was looking for, something to control loopy wirelessly. FYI We practice in a pretty cramped space so haven't tested the latency at range , only about 5-7 feet.

mbenigni

Thanks for your comments, utensil.  Can you confirm whether the Blueboard app allows for any way to route MIDI events to a physical MIDI Out (i.e. cable) to control other outboard equipment?  The marketing blurb indicates that you can set the channel in order to use other input devices, but they don't make any mention of sending output to other devices.

Good news regarding latency, though.  I'd love to hear how people fare with iPad 3 and earlier.

Elantric

QuoteGood news regarding latency, though.  I'd love to hear how people fare with iPad 3 and earlier.

Its important to read the requirements
IK Multimedia goes into details
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigblueboard/
iRig BlueBoard works  with any iPhone, iPod touch or iPad supporting Bluetooth 4.0.

It also works with any Mac that supports Bluetooth 4.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy.

So that leaves iPad 1, iPad 2, users out

iRig BlueBoard is compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad Air, iPad 4th generation, iPad 3rd generation and iPad mini. iOS 6.1 or later is required.

Computers

Mac®: iRig BlueBoard is compatible with any Mac that supports Bluetooth 4.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy. Models: iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro (all models from June 2012 on). Mac OS X 10.7 or later is required.

I will use it with my iPad Mini and 2012 MBP Retina

QuoteCan you confirm whether the Blueboard app allows for any way to route MIDI events to a physical MIDI Out (i.e. cable) to control other outboard equipment?  The marketing blurb indicates that you can set the channel in order to use other input devices, but they don't make any mention of sending output to other devices.

I imagine you could using IOS app MIDIBridge to accomodate your needs, or use MIDI Pipe on a OSX Mac   

utensil

Quote from: mbenigni on October 15, 2013, 07:32:09 AM
Hello all.  I was wondering if anyone here has given the new IK Multimedia Blueboard a shot yet.  I'd like to hear about your impressions overall e.g. build quality, durability, latency (especially if you're looping.)  But specifically, I need to know whether their application can be configured to send messages out to a physical port to control outboard gear in addition to iOS apps.  For instance, I'd like to be able to route one expression pedal to a Kemper amp while the other expression pedal controls level in iOS Sampletank, or I'd like one footswitch to mute/unmute an iOS synth and change patches on the KPA, etc.

I have so many footcontrollers that almost work for me, I don't want to end up throwing another one on the pile.

I just checked using midi bridge and it detects the blueboard app and it's output can be directed  a coremidi network session to send the program changes to my mac and works fine.

This if I understand correctly should mean that output can be directed to any supported destination in midibridge so if the output interface (irig midi or whatever) is detected in midibridge I assume it should work but can't really be sure since i don't have any such accessory to test on.

mbenigni

Good info.  I'll likely be using an iPad 3, so it sounds like I'll be OK.

I'll do some research on MIDIBridge as I've never used it before now.  Thanks!

Elantric

Better review with crucial MIDi setup info for using IK BlueuBoard with JamUp Pro
http://www.musicappblog.com/irig-blueboard-review/
Rig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
October 18, 2013 by John

blueboard close up label 300x175 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK MultimediaI think it's fair to say that the availability of guitar amp sims such as Amplitube, AmpKit, Jam Up Pro and Mobile POD have done a lot to draw guitar playing musicians into the wider world of iOS-based music making. At its best, the quality of the amp, cab and effects modelling possible on an iPhone or iPad is almost as good as that offered by some of the top-end desktop software packages or dedicated hardware units such as Line 6's POD devices.
Having a collection of virtual guitar rigs that you can carry around in your pocket is great for personal practice – add in a suitable guitar-friendly audio interface such as the iRig HD, LiNK HD, Sonic Port or iRig PRO, for example – and you can have access to a massive palette of tones to encourage you to work on those scales and chords. However, the modelling quality is also good enough to be used in other contexts. Add Audiobus and a suitable DAW app and you can create some great guitar-based tracks for your latest demo recording.
Equally, if you are feeling really adventurous (and don't mind the comments about the diminutive 'size of your rig'), as I described in a recent article, you could take your iPhone/iPad-based tones out live, whether that's for jamming with friends, a rehearsal with your band or even at gigs. Given the right audio connectivity, this can be made to work well.

blueboard top view iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
If you want to take your iOS guitar rig out live, you really need some foot control. iRig BlueBoard anyone?
While the amp modelling and audio quality is good, at present, however, there is still one element of this iOS guitar rig that doesn't quite match up to the more traditional approach; the inability to use your feet. Despite having all these wonderful virtual stompboxes within your amp sim app, unless you are happy to put your iDevice on the floor and gently tap the touchscreen with your bare toes to switch effects on or off or move between presets, you have to take your hands off your guitar and use your fingers for these tasks. This is fine in the context of personal practice or when recording but, in a live context, it is very restrictive (and no, I wouldn't recommend gaffer tapping an iPad to a stage and using your toes especially if you have other band members who like to jump around a lot).
blueboard rear view 300x145 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
In addition to the four foot switches, the BlueBoard allows you to connect two MIDI expression pedals.
What we need is a real-life pedalboard to control some of this switching within our guitar amp sim apps. Enter – stage left – IK Multimedia's iRig BlueBoard iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia (c. UK£75), designed to do just that. IKM announced the BlueBoard some time ago (I mentioned it a few weeks ago in my 'getting started/iOS performing guitarist' article)
http://www.musicappblog.com/guitar-ios-starter-kit/
and iOS guitarists have been eagerly awaiting its arrival to see just how well it might tackle this obvious need. So, with thanks to Paul Kaufman at IK Multimedia's UK office for arranging a short-term loan of a review unit, let's find out.
Best foot forward

If you have experience of using traditional hardware multi-effects pedalboards, the first thing that strikes you about the BlueBoard is its very compact format. At around 270mm in length and 90mm wide, it is most certainly mobile. The construction is mostly plastic but it feels nicely made and the four labelled buttons – that glow a nice shade of blue when in operation – are firm and require a good press to get them to switch on/off. While you perhaps shouldn't expect to jump on the BlueBoard in the same way that you can with some of the more industrial strength stomp boxes that you can buy, treated with a little respect and it ought to cope with use in a live context.
The unit is powered by four AAA batteries (giving about 100 hours use) and, as well as the battery compartment, the underside of the unit has a recessed on/off switch. The top surface features the four illuminated foot switches plus a small status LED to indicate when the power is on and a Bluetooth connection has been made.
blueboard with foot 300x183 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
The BlueBoard is very compact – but not so compact that you can't use size 10s :-)
The only other features are the two TRS jack sockets on the right-hand side of the BlueBoard. These allow you to attach two expression pedals to the unit. These might be used to control volume or a virtual wah pedal within your iOS amp sim. I didn't have a suitable pedal to try this out with but buying one as an add-on to the BlueBoard would be a good investment. There are a number of these available from various manufacturers starting at about UK£30 and going upwards (mainly based on the ruggedness of the construction). M-Audio's Expression Controller Pedal would be one of the lower-cost examples.
BlueBoard configuration

blueboard logo iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
The BlueBoard app is a free download.
To configure your hardware you need to download the free iRig BlueBoard app from the iTunes App Store. To connect your BlueBoard hardware to your iDevice, you simply power up the hardware, launch the app and, once the app finds the hardware, just tap to establish the connection. In my own testing with my 3rd gen. iPad, this worked flawlessly and I had no problems with the connection. This was, admittedly, in a 'lab' situation rather than the chaos that is the usual gig environment but it is encouraging. Needless to say, it would be sensible to give it a good workout to build confidence at a few rehearsals before doing anything too 'mission critical' :-)
blueboard midi program change mode main view

Program change mode is great for switching between presets or banks of presets within Amplitube or VocaLive
Once connected, the app allows you to fully configure the operation of the hardware. This includes configuring the expression pedals if you have one or two of these connected. At its most basic, configuration simply requires you to select between two modes of operation; program change mode and control change mode. In program change mode, when used with a suitable guitar amp sim (and, obviously, IKM would like you to use Amplitube), the foot switches allow you to move switch between different presets and, by pressing and holding either the A or B button for 3 seconds or more, you can also move up/down to the next preset bank. As Amplitube organises its presets into banks of four, this arrangement is obviously ideal.

In control change mode, the bank switching remains available (although you can choose to have it on or off via the Settings menu options) but the four foot switches can be assigned to any MIDI CC number that the user requires. The most obvious application for this is to switch individual stomp box effects on/off for the current preset. So, for example, you to toggle on/off a delay or overdrive pedal just as you might do with a more traditional set of hardware stomp boxes or a floor-based multi-effects unit.
blueboard midi control change mode main view 300x225 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
In control change mode you can target individual controls such as on/off switches for particular effects.
In principle, as you can assign any CC number to both the foot switches and the expression pedals (if you have any connected), you ought to be able to use the BlueBoard with any MIDI compatible app. Setting a CC number within the BlueBoard app just requires you to tap on the existing CC number and then make a selection from the dial that appears; all very straightforward.
Play with friends

As you might expect, the iRig BlueBoard integrates very nicely with IK Multimedia's Amplitube app. Aside from picking program change mode in the BlueBoard app, there is no other configuration required if all you want to be able to do is to switch between different presets. This works very smoothly.
Switching between the four presets within an individual preset bank is pretty much instantaneous so you could, if required, easily manage this mid-song. If you tend to use different presets as a basis for sound switching, this would work fine live providing the sounds you required can be contained within a single bank of four. Switching between banks takes a few second longer as you have to hold either the A of B foot switch for three second to move up/down a single bank. That's perhaps something that you are more likely to attempt between songs.
amplitube midi learn gold switch 300x166 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
With BlueBoard in control change mode you can use Amplitube's 'MIDI learn' to like the foot switches with the on/off button of the Amplitube effects.
Alternatively, if you are happy to stick with a single preset for each song but want to be able to switch any of the four individual effects in/out at different stages of the song, the control change mode allows you to do that. Once you have selected this mode within the BlueBoard app, there are a couple of routes by which you can configure this; from the BlueBoard app or within Amplitube itself but, in this instance, the Amplitube approach is probably the most convenient.
If you tap and hold any of the controls within Amplitube's main screen, a small 'MIDI Learn' style dialog appears. If you then move/press a MIDI hardware control that is connected to your iDevice, that hardware control is immediately assigned to the Amplitube virtual control. This works for the on/off switches for the four virtual effects pedals that you are allowed within each Amplitube preset. It is therefore easy to configure the four BlueBoard footswitches to be able to toggle your effects on/off. Incidentally, within Amplitube, these virtual on/off switches turn a rather nice shade of gold when they are linked to a MIDI controller.
One thing did initially confuse me with this arrangement. If I swapped one of the pedals in my Amplitube preset (perhaps taking out a chorus and adding in a phaser), the MIDI control assignment didn't carry over to the new effect. The assignment is done at the level of the individual effect rather than at the level of the effect slot. However, if I then re-loaded the original effect, that too had lost the MIDI assignment.
However, there is a solution to all this as the MIDI assignments are saved with a preset and, whenever you re-load the entire preset, the MIDI assignments are immediately re-established. This works well and the only downside is that you have to go through all the presets you might use in your performance context, set up the MIDI assignments in each one and then resave the preset.
Used in control change mode, you could switch presets via your iPad's touchscreen between songs and then use the BlueBoard to switch effects on/off during that song. This works well enough and the only other thing to say about this approach is that when you switch presets the lights on the BlueBoard foot switches don't automatically update to reflect the status of the four effects within the new patch. Once you tap any of them they do catch up but be aware of this when you are checking what's on and what's off after a patch switch.
vocalive midi learn 300x236 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
The BlueBoard also worked very smoothly with VocaLive.
The other obvious target for the BlueBoard is IK Multimedia's VocaLive app (I reviewed this a little while ago on the blog). As this app is pretty much an 'Amplitube for vocalists' in that it provides a series of vocal-style effects, four of which can be combined into a preset and the presets themselves are organised into banks of four, everything I've just said above about Amplitube applies to VocalLive also.
This all worked like a charm, whether in program change mode or control change mode. I could imagine singers using the latter mode would find it very useful to be able to switch on/off things like the Double of Choir effects using the footswitches, perhaps bringing in the harmony voices for a chorus, for example. All very neat.
Make new friends?

So, as you might expect, the BlueBoard works pretty seamlessly with IK Multimedia's own apps but what about guitarists using other amp sim apps? How might they fair? This doesn't, of course, really depend upon the specification of the BlueBoard as it is perfectly capable of sending whatever MIDI CC data you choose to configure. However, it is constrained by whether your favourite guitar amp sim is capable of responding to that MIDI data.
As far as I can tell, at the time of writing, neither AmpKit nor Mobile POD have MIDI support. They can not, therefore, be used with the BlueBoard. JamUp Pro XT does have MIDI functionality built in though so I spent a little while experimenting with that combination to see how it might work.
jamup midi control on 300x225 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
After you turn on the MIDI control option in JamUp Pro, the BlueBoard worked well for preset/bank selection.
Used in program change mode, once I'd turned on the 'Enable MIDI Control' settings within JamUp's Settings menu options, JamUP Pro worked without any further fuss. I was able to switch between the four presets that make up a JamUp Pro preset bank and also able to switch between banks using the '3 second hold' on the BlueBoard's A and B switches in exactly the same way as with Amplitube.
Things were less straightforward when I switched the BlueBoard to control change mode. JamUp Pro includes a MIDI Assigments screen where you can specify the CC numbers for various effects. This includes the ability to toggle on/off the various effects slots (for example, you ought to be able to toggle off the 'stomp' effect). However, despite spending a considerable amount of time trying, I couldn't actually get anything sensible to happen in this mode. JamUp Pro was obviously receiving some MIDI data but didn't really seem to be interpreting it in quite the way I expected. I'm not sure where the problem lies here but it would be nice to think that it could be resolved. While I couldn't test this, it would also be nice to know whether you could get any MIDI expression pedals connected to the BlueBoard to work with JamUp Pro. That would be great for controlling the Cry Baby or Pitch Shifter effects. If I can blag a loan of a suitable pedal from a friend I'll test this and post an update.
Are we there yet?

Used with IK Multimedia's own iOS apps such as Amplitube and VocaLive, the iRig BlueBoard works very smoothly. Having the two modes of operation – program change and control change – is very convenient and it allows different users to configure the system in the way that works best for them. In physical terms, while perhaps not in the 'industrial' category, the hardware seems to be solidly built and, used with a little care, it ought to cope in a live setting providing you don't get carried away and start stomping from a great height.
blueboard guitar ipad 170x300 iRig BlueBoard review – wireless MIDI pedalboard controller for iOS from IK Multimedia
Is that it? Where's your stack gone?
Given what it does and the build quality, I think the unit is very sensibly priced. Add another UK£30 for a basic MIDI expression pedal and you would have the basis of a very useful foot-based control system for your Amplitube rig.
In thinking about the price of the unit, there is, of course, a broader question to consider. If you were building a portable guitar rig based around amp modelling (rather than a traditional valve amp, cab and various stomp box pedals) from scratch, would you choose to buy an iPad for the task when you can buy a stellar floor-based multi-effects unit with amp modelling from the likes of Line 6, Zoom or Roland for less money? In short, for live use, is an iOS solution the best bank for buck?
I'll let you to debate that particular one (although I'll join in if you want to leave a comment below on the subject). However, if you already own the iPad and Amplitube – or maybe you are just a nailed-on iOS junkie and want to use your iOS rig for everything just to prove that you can – then the incremental cost of the BlueBoard is a pretty modest one. It would certainly make a virtual rig that already works great for personal practice or in the studio a much better proposition for live performance use, whether that's jamming with friends, a band rehearsal or a full-on gig.
Whatever your take on the virtues of virtual amp modelling vs a cranked valve amp, when I was in my late 'teens and early 20s, and doing more gigging than I do now, there were countless times when I stared at my Marshall head and 4 x 12 cab and wondered how I was going to get it up a set of stairs to a gig or in the back of a small car. Yep, I could have used a smaller amp (do now, in fact) but if someone had told me I could have had a whole set of (virtual) amps, cab, effects – oh, and a footpedal system for switching between them – and carried them all in one hand (leaving the other hand free for my guitar), I suspect I might have (a) laughed at the joke and (b) wished it wasn't a joke. 'Ain't technology amazing?
For users of Amplitube or VocaLive, with a sensible balance between price and construction, the iRig's BlueBoard is the missing piece of the jigsaw when it comes to taking your iOS guitar (or microphone) out live.

And if you want a suitable MIDI expression pedal to go with it, M-Audio offer an inexpensive option that is worth a look.

mbenigni

QuoteBlueboard IOS app allows multiple Blueboards to be connected and converts the Blueboard footswitches to Progam change or assignable MIDI CC# commands  

That sells me.  I'm ordering one today.  Just build a light, staggered base for a 2 or 3 tiered pedal board and this would scale according to your needs.

Elantric

Just an update

I contacted IK Multimedia and they state"

"The IOS limits you to one BlueBoard connection at a time. Connecting two iRig BlueBoards at the same time is currently not possible"

I wrote back and told them to consider adding this feature, perhaps under OSX 

as i want

Blueboard#1 - MIDI Patch Change transmission
Blueboard#2 - MIDI CC# message transmission

==

Im having good results using IK Blueboard +MAudio expression pedal as volume pedal mapped to MIDI CC#7  As volume pedal in Bias+Jamup Pro XT. Realize since its a wireless bluetooth connection,  there IS a response lag on all expression pedal functions!    (might be a big problem for a Wah-Wah use , since there is a  delayed response.)

mbenigni

Quote"The IOS limits you to one BlueBoard connection at a time. Connecting two iRig BlueBoards at the same time is currently not possible"

This is unfortunate, and I'm a little concerned to hear that your impressions have changed somewhat with regard to latency.  I can probably adjust to a little lag for volume swells, etc. but I'm concerned about nailing downbeats for looping.  I'll have to test for myself, obviously.  In the meantime...

Have you had any luck using the Blueboard to turn stompboxes on and off in Jam Up?  Or are you just using it to change presets/banks?  The Blueboard CC configuration is pretty rudimentary.  For instance, it doesn't allow you to specify toggle vs. momentary, and Jam Up seems to have trouble interpreting its MIDI output.  When I use Jam Up's MIDI Learn feature to map a Blueboard CC to, say, delay on/off, pressing the footswitch once will cause the effect to turn on very briefly, then immediately turn off again.  And sometimes pressing the footswitch does nothing at all (but this might just be the same scenario happening very quickly.)

Elantric

I'm still working on FX on off in Jamup with Blueboard.
I wish there was a better source of info - best i can find is here
Better review with crucial MIDi setup info for using IK BlueuBoard with JamUp Pro
http://www.musicappblog.com/irig-blueboard-review/

But as I first predicted, the expression pedals is where the lag is most notable, if you set up an Expression pedal connected to Blueboard to MIDI CC#7  - this controls volume in most IOS apps that respond to MIDI.

Then start working the expression pedal rapidly like a volume pedal. This is the worst lag offender scenario. which rather dooms using Blueboard for real time wah-wah use 

So that leaves the blue board as best used for patch change only  - which might work for some

But lately I'm working on just a volume pedal on the floor, and use iPad mounted with this clamp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFLK7AM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11V2MDXFAC9IW
- at waist height on a mic stand. and simply toggle patches and effects with my hand using "live mode" in Jamup meets 80% of my needs.

mbenigni

QuoteSo that leaves the blue board as best used for patch change only  - which might work for some
That is a serious step down compared with my expectations.  Here's hoping IK will come through with a software or firmware update to make this product a little bit more adaptable.  Otherwise it's another almost capable floorboard to add to the absurd pile in my basement.   :(  (Or better still, to return.)

cell7

Anyone know if it is possible to control both a laptop and an iOS device with the same blueboard? I havent been able to do it yet, and i suspect it is not possible to sync one bluetooth device with multiple sources which is a shame. Would be awesome to do something like tap tempo and play sync of logic and a looper app at the same time from the one controller...

Elantric

QuoteAnyone know if it is possible to control both a laptop and an iOS device with the same blueboard?

Not possible - the current IK Multimedia Bluetooth Implemention required a secure handshake to one device only.

Also the reverse is not possible (two Blueboards with one ipad or one mac) , I was excited for a day or two thinking I could buy two Blueboards, and have one Blueboard dedicated to MIDi program change mode, and the other Blueboard dedicated to MIDi program CC# mode - but IK Mutlimedia told me thats not possible either.   

I hope they are working on improvement 

mbenigni

QuoteHere's hoping IK will come through with a software or firmware update to make this product a little bit more adaptable.

What would be even better is if IK sold enough of these, and they became sufficiently mainstream, that app devs like Positive Grid would develop native support for the Blueboard directly into their own apps.  That way we might not need to run the Blueboard control app in the background, and we might see better integration, e.g. pedal backlights automatically turning on/off to reflect stomp states in patches, etc.

Toby Krebs

This is all getting to be very interesting again. Wireless footswitch and an ipad plus IEMs and no amps. That's what I'm talking about!

Ringleader

Ok I am the numbskull here. Just found the setting to disable bank mode to allow the device to respond on the down press and not the release. D'oh! Keeping it after all.  :D