Presonus vs Focusrite

Started by lespauled, July 29, 2013, 05:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

I believe I posted my incredible headaches about the Presonus 44VSL software.  The unit itself was made extremely well, but the software is horrendous.  I was on with tech support for hours, and also on with the people from Guitar Center for even more time, trying to fix the incredibly long latency issue with the unit connected to the computer.  Presonus tried saying that it was due to my computer's speed.  Since I have a monster machine with tons of memory, I knew this wasn't the case.  Nothing worked.  After several weeks of futility, I returned it.

So, I recently did another computer build, with pretty much the same specs as my previous one.  I was a little tentative about a breakout box to connect my guitars, etc.  I knew I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice with the Presonus.  So, I did a ton a research and everything I read said that Focusrite was the better unit.  I went to Guitar Center, and talked to the manager of the pro audio department and he said the same thing. 

I picked up the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6.  I was a leery about connecting it, because I didn't want to go through the same headaches I went through with the Presonus.  I finally bit the bullet, and installed it.  It was installed in about 3 minutes.  It took me a few minutes the find my way around the Focusrite software, but I was getting sound in a matter of minutes.  The sound was coming through without ANY noticeable latency!!!!  I was thrilled. 

I went into the software, found the ASIO settings and set it to 1ms.  It worked exactly like it should.  I did a couple of test recordings to make sure I wasn't listening to it in bypass mode or anything and the timing was dead on.  This unit ROCKS!!!!

For all the headaches and heartaches I went through with the Presonus, the Focusrite was the polar opposite.  I give this unit a 10/10.  I couldn't be happier.

Elantric

Great review we should add this to the Survey of Working Audio Interfaces
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.0

MarkFromHawaii

Wonderful!  I'm thinking of getting the Scarlett 18i8, mostly because it includes midi in and out.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Frankster

I was stunned by the quality of the Focusrite Saffire. If you can afford the extra then Focusrite's firewire models offer a big performance and feature improvement over the USB ones.

MarkFromHawaii

I admit to be firewire illiterate.  ::)  If my computer has USB ports do I simply need the right cable to go from firewire to USB?  If I go that route, do I lose all the high-speed functionality of firewire?  Is there an internal card I need to get for my PC?  Thanks in advance - sorry like I said, I'm baffled by firewire.

MarkFromHawaii

Okay - once again I answer my own questions...

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/can-i-use-a-firewire-to-usb-adapter-to-connect-my-firewire-interface

No, the simple cable adapter won't work.  Need a PCI slot card for my PC.

Elantric

I suggest go for the Focusrite Scarlett USB.

Firewire is extremely picky -you need a Texas Instruments Firework chipset.

Most new laptop PC's have zero path to use firewire.

Steer clear of Presonus.
Read my nightmare here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8277.0

Today I prefer interfaces that are cross platform and can work with my Win7 PC, MacBook Pro and my iPad

Read the list here for the best Ipad Audio Interfaces.
http://www.wavemachinelabs.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

and read our real world use Survey of Audio Interfaces here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10326.0

Frankster

For a modern computer you need a PCI-E to Firewire card, not a PCI card. PCI slots are a thing of the past now.

clearlight

was also considering the Focusrite.
I am extremely used to the "mix" knob on the Presonus stuff.
What is the process for going from "pre" to " post computer monitoring?
It may seem like a noob question but I've had Presonus for a loonng time.
Thanks in advance
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

Elantric

QuoteWhat is the process for going from "pre" to " post computer monitoring?

On the Scarlett 2i4 - its a rotary knob right on the front of the box  labeled "Direct Monitor
Counterclockwise = "Input" = Pre Direct Monitor 100%
Clockwise = Playback = Post Computer Monitor 100%

You can rotate the Direct Montor knob and establish a blend anywhere in between the two.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4

QuoteI am extremely used to the "mix" knob on the Presonus stuff.
(No such knob exists on my Presonus 1818VSL)

Most place the "Direct Monitor" control in the GUI Control panel

But then its not available if you use iPad.

BackDAWman

Our band used to use a Presonus 16.4.2 live. It failed on us on 4 occasions completely losing all busses. We had to use a crazy workaround using my B112s and their built in mixer ( ::)) to get through the gigs.

Presonus or the dealer were no help at all.
It now gathers dust in the corner of our drummers studio. I bought an X32 Producer and never looked back.

Elantric

QuoteOur band used to use a Presonus 16.4.2 live. It failed on us on 4 occasions completely losing all busses.

Ive heard many similar complaints - and when I contacted Presonus Customer Support about my 1818VSL issues with pops and crackles , they acted like a clueless marketing  / sales department and blamed their "contracted third party USB Driver supplier"   - After that experience, I cant recommend any current or future Presonus product

MarkFromHawaii

Update:  Yesterday a nearby local music store had a Black Friday sale and my wife wanted to get a Yamaha 88-key keyboard and djembe for her music school.  I wasn't really looking for anything until I spied a Scarlett 2i4 on the wall.  Really, I wasn't looking to buy anything...  ;) Anyway I got it working with Ableton Live Lite that's downloadable with the suite of software included with the 2i4.  I wasn't too keen on Ableton Live Lite's apparent loop-oriented track building work flow so I downloaded Reaper.  I got Reaper working with MT Power Drum Kit 2 and now I'm as happy as can be.  ;D 

A couple of tips:  Use the 2i4 for monitoring while recording through the inputs or the latency (through your computer speakers) will drive you crazy.  Second, even though MT Power Kit 2 is free, there is still an online activation process.  The registration was apparently broken with the initial downloaded version I had from a few weeks ago.  I re-downloaded today and was able to activate the full version so I no longer get the cute female voice saying "Demo version" every few seconds.

Cheers!

Elantric

Be sure you are connecting powered studio monitors or computer speakers directly to the Scareltt 2i4 outputs.

The latency is a function of your audio interface, audio driver, and computer  - a MacBook Pro with quad core I7 over 2 GHZ will have lower latency compared to many other WIN PCs - and there is a Direct Input knob on the front of the Scarlett 2i4 that when turned full counter-clockwise allows you to monitor the Direct Input with no latency. Of course this also means you can not monitor the resulting computer generated drums, or NI Guitar Rig Amp Modeling, etc without latency. Computer based recording with its latency can be a pain, that from my experience is mitigated if you use computers and tablets with Core Audio Drivers  - and those only happen with products designed in Cupertino, California.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4