Ben Lacy - One Man Band

Started by Sedgewick, March 28, 2012, 01:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgewick

I've been getting ads for a Ben Lacy course to "funkify" your guitar licks.  In the ads he seems to be dissing the midi guitar group.  Here a quote from the ad:

"No, we're not talking about one of those evil little midi-crap machines that cats are using instead of real players 'cause gigs just don't pay what they used to. We're talking going solo on guitar and funkifying your six-string grooves with polyphonic techniques for crafting drum, bass, and horn parts a la Ben Lacy and his Two-Hand Groove Guitar technique...."

To me, an attitude like that,is a good enough reason to ignore the course.

Does anyone out there have any past experience with his stuff ?

musicman65

The way I read it, he's referring to the "one man band" guys that uses sequencers to play midi backing tracks (pre-recorded) instead of stepping up with technique and really carrying the moment with musicianship. I think of the bootleg recordings of early John Meyer in the coffee house circuit. Listen to JM play "Neon" on acoustic....amazing rhythm and melodic content!

I doubt he's referring to our tiny little corner of guitarland where the synth guitar guys hang out.

bd

Ringo

I've seen Ben Lacey at the Summer NAMM shows a few times, really a great player, a one man band for sure.
He uses Brian Moore guitars and IIRC he has one with the built in midi pickup so I don't think he is anti technology by any means.

http://www.benlacy.com/
There are some videos of him playing there. I met him personally at the NAMM Show and talke to him  a few times and he seems like a pretty down to earth guy, was real friendly and not pretentious at all.

notnomiistakes

finding these great inovative players is killing me.   

from YouTube TruefireTV there's many more vids titled TWO HAND GROOVE.  He enjoys teaching!
Two-Hand Groove Guitar - Introduction - Ben Lacy

Charles5150

I did a search on YT, hes an amazing DRUMMER  :o

notnomiistakes

Quote from: Charles5150 on March 30, 2012, 04:10:09 AM
I did a search on YT, hes an amazing DRUMMER  :o

ya he just kicks back. 

scott

He needs to tidy up his technique; I'm hearing a lot of pick noise here!

[joke]

Kilgore

BTW, I did all the transcriptions for this TrueFire course. In fact, I do the transcriptions for the majority of the TrueFire courses, and have for the last 8 or 9 years.

The MIDI reference in the course description has nothing to do with MIDI guitar at all. It merely refers to the fact that Lacy plays multiple parts at once that mimic bass, drums, guitar and horn parts, but doesn't rely on MIDI. It's a little overstated, but the point is that he plays all this stuff on one unMIDIfied guitar.

Sedgewick

Thank you all for the replies.  I was impressed with the videos, and Ben's playing.  I just think the marketers need to re-think how they word their sales literature.

Elantric

Ben is a Monster player - i see him at NAMM each year

Magiamusical

Fantastic Guitar Player but hate the occasional guitar slap, 
Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

admin

guitarkirb

I met Ben a few years back when there was still The Southeastern Guitar and Amp show in Raleigh. He was playing in the common area right where you walk in. Great player (understatement alert!) and a down to earth guy it seemed.

Brian

Elantric

The incredible Ben Lacy

Elantric

With Howard Roberts son

Jay Roberts & Ben Lacy

admin

Bill Ruppert