GR-55 - Pedal board set-ups with the GR-55?

Started by Mikefxd35, September 16, 2011, 10:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikefxd35

I would like to see some pedal board set-ups with the GR-55 to get some ideas.
Thanks
GR-55
VG Strat
Godin ACS-SA

gumtown

At the moment I use the GR-55 just on it's own.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

curteye

Quote from: gumtown on September 19, 2011, 08:29:04 PM
At the moment I use the GR-55 just on it's own.

Aloha
Same here.
This for me was the main reason I got the 55.
One stop shop.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin' down, you ain't workin' much.

mbenigni

Same here, trying my damnedest to use a GR55 and nothing else.  Had to make a few concessions before this was realistic, mainly moving to a FRFR amp - routing is too limited to effectively use hybrid, multi-amp setups IMO.

It's pretty much all good.  Some effects are a little lackluster compared with individual stompboxes, or the Guitar Rig equivalents I was used to.  And the MFX block is full of effects that are incredibly difficult or outright ineffective with guitar tones, the MFX flanger being just one example.  I really wish Roland had included Assign options to flip between MOD effects the same way you can flip between PCM tones.  It wouldn't have required any more processing power, it's strictly a matter of a little firmware coding.  As it stands, you have to use some sort of external device to send SysEx if you want to switch between MOD effects in a single patch.

Gopaul

Here is my regular setup i use in Church every week.
GR-55 guitar out to the in of the Vocaliser
GR55- main outs into the Looper
out of there into a DI
loop back from the DI to IEM / and or floor Monitor
DI to the main house!
Works a treat.
PP
www.staustell-baptist.org.uk
Godin XTSA or GK3 equipped LP
VG-99
Gr-55
RC-30
Vocalist Live 3

Csewell

curteye

Aloha guys,
Those set-ups look wonderful!

In an earlier post 'flying brian' asked in a thread: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4446.0
how to attached the '55 to your pedalboards.

Can you guys elaborate on how you did it.

TIA
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin' down, you ain't workin' much.

jwhitcomb3

Wow, that Softstep Boomerang setup is killer!  I am very interested in your feedback on the Softstep.

mbenigni

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on September 22, 2011, 12:36:07 PM
Wow, that Softstep Boomerang setup is killer!  I am very interested in your feedback on the Softstep.

+1

Csewell

Well, Im only scratching the surface so far. I have one bank of softstep pedals set up to send CC messages. These at the moment are only turning on and off tone switches, effects, 12 string, solo boost.. etc. I havnnt had time to experiment with the softsteps other features, like being able to control filter sweeps with pressure or x/y movement. But, I can now have the control button on the 55 as tap tempo exclusively. Way more control. This weekend Im going to attempt to map program changes from the softstep to the 55.

I have the midi mate mounted underneath with all power.

Its really too bad the 55 does not have midi merge, or thru. I wanted to be able to use the softstep to control the 55 and Ableton live via usb.
My workaround is to send the softstep midi into port 1 of a 2x2 midi interface, then the midi out of the 55 into the other port, figuring Id just use the effects on the laptop (and Omnisphere) anyway. Sold my axon.....

I love the 55. It has totally re-invigorated my love of playing. Add the rang III and its fun for hours. The other night my wife poked her head into my studio, she said what the F@@@ is that!???

Galvonot

I usually end up building something out of wood for my GR units, that can fit into this gig bag I have for a Fender pedal. Not sure which one, but it  indicates "Fender DSP" on the side. I'm currently building a new one for the GR-55, but I placed the GR, Midi Wizard, and volume pedal back on the one I used temporarily to give you an idea. It was originally used for a GR-33 and a Yamaha Magic Stomp. The Midi Wizard folds into the bottom, making it fit into the gig bag. Pics attached

BTW, I have a really neat floor box I built to hold an XV-2020, GI-20, Digitech foot pedal and Magicstomp that I can post if anybody is interested.

Gastric

Modified Gator Gigbox.  I stripped the useless carpet from the board surface, installed riser legs and rubber feet on the back, industrial velcro on the top surface and spots on the back to hold a Rolls DI and my GR-55 power brick, and had to cobble a mount for my Voodoo PP2+. Still needs a couple small handles to help me pull it from the case.

I never cared for the Gigbox, I've had it a year or so and hated how it was just a crappy piece of plywood and the pedals wouldn't stick. With industrial velcro I can literally hold the board upside down and the pedals, including the GR-55, won't fall off. At least yet. :)  GR-55 only has velcro applied to the rubber feet.

Regular pedals go into the unit via the hacked FX SEND/RETURN jacks. I can also trigger PCM with a mono instrument via the FX RETURN as I routed that to PIN1 since I use a 4 string bass.

Magiamusical

This is my pedalboard that I made using some wood I had around. I also use a bag from lipedalboards for transport to gigs.

Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

WallDemar

My new board:

Roland GR-55
Korg AX3000G
Digitech EX-7

Custom switching box

& place for Boss RC-3  ;)

rickthestick

Poparad

A bit of a complex setup:

The GR-55 has an FX loop mod to run through the distortion pedals and volume pedal.  In addition, the Guitar Out, which I set to the modelling tone is hooked up to the ABC switcher, along with my mag pickups and an open spot (C) for a non GK-equipped guitar.  I can run my normal guitar or a modeled guitar through my favorite distortion pedals.  I have an EV-5 hooked up to a MIDI Solution Pedal Controller (which is velcroed underneath the board) and is hooked up via the MIDI in/out jacks on the GR-55.  I use the EV-5 as an addition expression pedal.

mbenigni

Does it have to be a pedal board?  :)

fbwh

sorry I never had any V guitar stuff at the time this pedal board was put together, just thought some of you might get a kick out of my old school board. The tap dancing lessons really paid off in the end  ::)

Certified Guitar Addict

paults

Quote from: mbenigni on October 23, 2011, 03:39:09 PM
Does it have to be a pedal board?  :)

Marc,

I'm loving that - I'm picturing a not-too-distant future, with just the iPad (wireless audio/guitar MIDI to free/inexpensive great sounding soft amps and synths), and a SoftStep controller pedal (or, something else small and light).  Anyone concerned about depending on a software rig for gigs can just load all the same apps into their phone (or an iPod, for that matter), and always have their backup rig tucked safely in their pocket. 

If anyone ever sees a "virtual talkbox" app that uses a microphone, let me know - That's the main thing that keeps hardware at my feet.     

MCK

MCK

Quote from: fbwh on October 23, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
sorry I never had any V guitar stuff at the time this pedal board was put together, just thought some of you might get a kick out of my old school board. The tap dancing lessons really paid off in the end  ::)

Oh boy. There is a small fortune in there! I bet this paid for your VG99 and then some! Don't you love traveling light now?

pappywatts

Well I thought I'd like to travel light at first with just the GR55, but....

This is what I used pre GR55:-

and then it got bigger:-

But it all works.... :)
Yeah I got one of those Smart phones, trouble is it's smarter than the owner....

Variax Kit:JTV69 +GK3,JTV59P +GK2a.
Carvin SH575, Fender Strat USA Roland Ready, Godin ACSA Multiac Nylon usb model.
GR55,GR30,GP-10, VGA7,Baggs Acoustic Reference, Zinky Green Velveteen 18w,JTM45 Head.Yamaha DXR10

mbenigni

Quote from: paults on October 23, 2011, 08:14:07 PM
I'm loving that - I'm picturing a not-too-distant future, with just the iPad (wireless audio/guitar MIDI to free/inexpensive great sounding soft amps and synths), and a SoftStep controller pedal (or, something else small and light).  Anyone concerned about depending on a software rig for gigs can just load all the same apps into their phone (or an iPod, for that matter), and always have their backup rig tucked safely in their pocket.

I think we're pretty much on the same page there.  For years now I've wanted a fast tablet PC that I could run Guitar Rig on (preferably as a plugin in Ableton, with a few softsynths in the mix) but that kind of hardware has been so slow to arrive.  (Maybe next year...)  Now that I'm seeing things like the Alesis IO Dock and apps like Amplitube for iOS, it occurs to me that I could conceivably drop the GR55 altogether and consolidate the whole solution into the iPad, but...

Even if I sorted out guitar-to-midi, I'd still lose the hex/COSM alt. tuning goodness.  And more importantly, I'd lose the ability to customize the UI to suit my own preferences.  No matter how good Amplitube etc might sound, I know I'd find myself saying, "I wish that control were larger, or these two controls were situated closer to one another..." or whatever.  Whereas the TouchOSC layout can be personalized to the point where it's nearly as effective as (and in some ways more effective than) than a programmable floorboard, so basically I'm trading one piece of hardware for another.

What I'd love to see at some point is an iOS VST Host whose interface is fully customizable by way of a drag and drop editor a la TouchOSC or MIDI Touch.  That would be the best of both worlds!

If anyone ever sees a "virtual talkbox" app that uses a microphone, let me know - That's the main thing that keeps hardware at my feet.     

I did a quick google search for talkbox vst and got a few hits, but of course I can't vouch for any of them... and I'm not sure whether you'd be running a VST host anyway?

drbill

Quote from: rickthestick on October 06, 2011, 11:50:00 PM
Roland all the way...
rickthestick: I'd like to hear how this was made and how you transport it!

GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP