Electro-Harmonix is Beating Up On Other Advanced Guitar Tech Companies

Started by Rhcole, October 28, 2017, 02:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

EHX by the nature of their effects are going to attract some adventurous players. And they openly play on that via their marketing. They are 'cool' dare I say it. And adventurous players are likely going to push or exploit the boundaries. Difficult to do when you have to bend down and twiddle knobs or discover a cool sound and have to run off and find a pen and paper to scribble down the settings....faaaarq!

At the very least we'd want to save some sounds and recall them via midi. The keyboard inspired range of _9 pedals for instance. The SuperEgo+ as well. Midi in is basic stuff and should be implemented at manufacture and not left to individuals having to produce work around devices in the after market space (although we thank you for it!)

Anyways...there's never been a better time for guitar players in terms of what some pedal builders and high end floorboard or rack effect makers are producing. We have amazing tools to work with and be inspired by.

Smash

Quote from: chrish on October 31, 2017, 11:45:32 AM
Electro-harmonix and many other pedal companies are there for the Plug and Play crowd. It's easy, no learning curve required other than learning musicianship skills.

THIS THIS THIS!!! Exactly why Roland are losing - everything should be plug and play FFS! It's infuriating - pissing about with tracking and tweaking levels? No wonder it puts loads of people off! Why on earth wouldn't you have at the bare minimum a hex learning mode - hit the strings hard, play some normal stuff and the system sets the levels itself based on your playing style. I've said it before and I'll say it again, never let the techs be responsible for GUIs - they're tech geeks for godsakes they'll stick every option and then some on a single menu. Yes allow deep diving in other menus but KISS for first interactions! To be fair I think Roland are getting a grip - certainly the Katana is a working example of KISS with deep dive via tone studio.

Why do I keep with VG99 and have to piss around with every new guitar I buy? Because nothing else does everything the VG99 does - all of which I want. Would I drop it like a hot potato if a genuine rival product came along? Absolutely!!

You plug in an EHX pedal and it just works. Brilliant. No pissing about. The adjustable parameters are all obvious and immediately available to twiddle. And it sounds like it says - Rhodes, Hammond whatever. Not stereo no unfortunately (bung it through a GT100) - it's still waaaaaay more successful at polyphonic pitch to synth via 1/4" than what Roland is offering which appears solely to cater for the left of field crowd.