Katana - anyone rig the 1-12 combo to be open or closed back?

Started by hsuru4u, October 04, 2017, 01:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsuru4u

If so please let us know measurements and how is the best way to do this professional looking?..thanx

I really want to make mine a closed/open back combo but am not savy with those things.

Elantric

There is a user with a Katana 2 x 12 with DIY closed back here

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24982326/
Reposting this as the original PhotoBucket pics became lost

Inprognito wrote>
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24392465/
I bought my Katana 2x12 back in October and loved it except when i got it a lot louder it was missing something. So I decided it was because it's open back and I'm a closed back speaker guy normally. So I made a removable back panel out of a piece of cherry I had sitting around my shop. I also changed the channel volume, gain, and master volume knobs to red so they're easier to see on a dark stage.

hsuru4u

thanx..i did see that...i will try to rig something similar on my 1-12.

Pat the Brat

Is any heat issue would be possible with this modification?
''Real collaboration is when everyone who's there, is working together toward whatever is the best thing for the whole thing''  - Rick Ruben

admin

Quote from: Pat the Brat on March 20, 2018, 09:25:52 AM
Is any heat issue would be possible with this modification?

You must keep proper ventilation for the electronics - else power amp failure

mjbmikeb2

Does closing the back improve the low end frequency response for baritone and bass guitars?

(I am unlikely to go above the 0.5 w setting so heat won't be an issue.)

admin

Quote from: mjbmikeb2 on March 22, 2018, 08:54:06 AM
Does closing the back improve the low end frequency response for baritone and bass guitars?

Yes
Thats the point of a closed back speaker cab

vtgearhead

Quote from: mjbmikeb2 on March 22, 2018, 08:54:06 AM

(I am unlikely to go above the 0.5 w setting so heat won't be an issue.)

In theory, it might extend the low end by preventing phase cancellation.  But, you may also introduce an annoying low-mid peak (this depends on speaker resonance and a number of other factors).  Probably best to do this the most minimally invasive way possible in case it doesn't work out for you.

mjbmikeb2

I did a Google search for "boss katana speaker resonant frequency" but it turned up nothing.
Does anyone have any actual measurements or info from Boss?

admin

Quote from: mjbmikeb2 on March 22, 2018, 09:48:53 AM
I did a Google search for "boss katana speaker resonant frequency" but it turned up nothing.
Does anyone have any actual measurements or info from Boss?

Not published

hsuru4u

i wanted to do that on my 1-2 katana but never got around to it. I wonder if boss even tried it in prototype mode?? Same with artist-still openback but less open really. Why didnt boss make the artist closed back??? maybe they tried and it didnt sound as good?? dont know.

dazco

I might suggest taking a que from the artist which has what they are calling a semi closed back. It's just partially open. But i can tell it absolutely works and i have proof. I removed one of the back panel s so it was about as open as a normal combo and was a bit taken aback at how much low end punch it lost. i  prefer open for the big sound that fills a room much better, but this gives you that plus the punch of a closed back and retains cooling. It's a win win win. I've said this a few times already, but the artist is the only 1x12 combo i have ever played that is actually capable of capturing the punch and tone of a marshall 1/2 stack. Seriously ! The speaker is part of it no doubt as is the bigger cab,  but removing that panel spoke volumes about the partial closed back design.

Elantric

Quote from: dazco on March 23, 2018, 12:33:12 PM
I might suggest taking a que from the artist which has what they are calling a semi closed back. It's just partially open. But i can tell it absolutely works and i have proof. I removed one of the back panel s so it was about as open as a normal combo and was a bit taken aback at how much low end punch it lost. i  prefer open for the big sound that fills a room much better, but this gives you that plus the punch of a closed back and retains cooling. It's a win win win. I've said this a few times already, but the artist is the only 1x12 combo i have ever played that is actually capable of capturing the punch and tone of a marshall 1/2 stack. Seriously ! The speaker is part of it no doubt as is the bigger cab,  but removing that panel spoke volumes about the partial closed back design.

Very true!

but I get same punch as a 4 x 12 with this rig

Katana Cabinet 212 has a rear panel that is removable, but I vastly prefer it closed back - delivers more low end punch and the Katana Speakers are superior to those "Neo" magnet Celestions from GB China that is used in most other speaker cabs ( DV Mark, Fender Mustang GT, etc)

, as Jeff Beck says - "it shakes my trousers"

Most of the time I run it like this ( see below)

( shop around) 
Katana Cabinet 212 = $320
Gently used Katana Head  = $250

hsuru4u

the artist should have had 3 panels like the speaker cab.So you can fully close it as well.

Elantric

Smash

I don't think the spider or blackstar (stripped of it's psycho acoustic 3d trick) sound as good as artist based on vids. 3D or spatial stereo just mushes stuff live (trust me as an ex CPS Space Station owner)

hsuru4u

Quote from: Smash on March 23, 2018, 01:55:24 PM
I don't think the spider or blackstar (stripped of it's psycho acoustic 3d trick) sound as good as artist based on vids. 3D or spatial stereo just mushes stuff live (trust me as an ex CPS Space Station owner)

I agree live with a band it would maybe be mushey sounding but at home it does sound fun.