Katana - Get latest Firmware and latest Boss Tone Studio

Started by gumtown, October 02, 2017, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treewiz

I tried this procedure again and again to no avail. The effect lites just flash quickly continuously after I unplug the USB cable. I don't think the files our going into the Katana devise in my "Computer" window. When I down load the firmware, I have to go to my computer because the icon doesn't show up automatically on my computer screen, it won't let me drag the files to the Katana devise window there is a red circle with a slash thru it as soon as I drag the files outside of their window. Baffling!

rolandvg99

What computer system do you use? And do you have sudo/admin rights?
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

treewiz

Windows 7 HP and I don't know anything about those sudo/administration rights.

admin

follow all instructions here:

Katana - How to install the Firmware update, USB driver and Boss Tone Studio
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19688.0

treewiz

Watched the video, been proceeding to the exact steps of the firmware update procedure and my computer will not allow me to drag the files to the Katana devise icon. Every time I try there is a red circle with a slash thru it that blocks the procedure. The PDF download format may have some sort of conflict with this procedure. I also tried to download PDF Air to no avail. Very frustrating. 

Elantric

Quote from:  treewiz on October 18, 2017, 08:48:21 AM
Watched the video, been proceeding to the exact steps of the firmware update procedure and my computer will not allow me to drag the files to the Katana devise icon. Every time I try there is a red circle with a slash thru it that blocks the procedure. The PDF download format may have some sort of conflict with this procedure. I also tried to download PDF Air to no avail. Very frustrating.

What is your make  / model computer and what specific version is your Operating System ?

treewiz

vtgearhead

It seems as if some computers mount the Katana virtual USB disk in read-only mode.  Have seen a few similar reports on TGP.

Elantric

Quote from:  treewiz on October 18, 2017, 09:41:18 AM
HP all in one windows 7 Home edition

Is it Windows 7 Home  64 bit?

or Windows 7 Home  32 bit?

I've had a nightmare with Windows 7 Home  32 bit  - near impossible to use due to incompatibility with most apps and USB drivers  - just sharing my experience.

by contrast Windows 7 Home  64 bit, or Windows 8.1 64 bit works with everything I throw at it

It seems as if some computers mount the Katana virtual USB disk in read-only mode.  Have seen a few similar reports on TGP.

I suspect this is due to some Windows users who are not logged in with a Windows account with full Administrator rights. If you are not logged in as Administrator - you have a world of pain with most apps we talk about.

QuoteI have to go to my computer because the icon doesn't show up automatically on my computer screen, it won't let me drag the files to the Katana devise window there is a red circle with a slash thru it as soon as I drag the files outside of their window. Baffling!

From the "My Computer" screen  - double click on the katana drive icon to open in a new window  - then drag the 2 Katana update files there

treewiz

That could be the reason, I'll have to check it when I get home from work today. Thanks!

treewiz

It's 64 bit, so I don't know why I cannot drag the files to the Katana driver Icon.

admin

Quote from:  treewiz on October 18, 2017, 02:32:10 PM
It's 64 bit, so I don't know why I cannot drag the files to the Katana driver Icon.

I suspect this is due to not logged in with a Windows account with full Administrator rights.

Re watch the detailed video here and follow each step as described.

and

Be sure to log on as a user with administrative privileges on the computer.
Close/turn off system monitoring/anti-virus software. If system monitoring software such as anti-virus programs are installed on your computer, close them while troubleshooting.
Connect directly to your computer via USB. Do not connect to a USB hub while troubleshooting.
Be sure that you are connecting to a USB 2.0 port on your computer; or a USB 3.0 port with backwards compatibility. Check the USB 3.0 specifications of your computer to determine if there is complete support for USB backwards compatibility.

vtgearhead

Quote from:  Elantric on October 18, 2017, 09:52:46 AM
I suspect this is due to some Windows users who are not logged in with a Windows account with full Administrator rights. If you are not logged in as Administrator - you have a world of pain with most apps we talk about.

I'm sure you're correct.  It would never occur to me to run any other way, so never thought about it.

Kottan

I got my Katana 100 including the Roland GA-FC yesterday. Successfully installed the software thanks to your instructions.  :)

My Question: How can I change 8 Tone-Settings (Tone Studio 2) with 4 Switches? The Katana has only 4 Chanel Switches (so the GA-FC has).

rolandvg99

Quote from: Kottan on October 18, 2017, 11:54:37 PM
I got my Katana 100 including the Roland GA-FC yesterday. Successfully installed the software thanks to your instructions.  :)

My Question: How can I change 8 Tone-Settings (Tone Studio 2) with 4 Switches? The Katana has only 4 Chanel Switches (so the GA-FC has).

Long press the "Panel" button on the GA-FC or on the amp. For switching between tap tempo Delay 1 and Delay 2, long press "Tap".

treewiz

Well I found a method that finally worked. First for each of my amps which are the Head and the 100 watt combo I had to uninstall the driver and the firmware update for each, start over with each one, then when I got to the drag or copy part of the procedure I found I had to right click the files and just send them to the Katana devise icon, WHA LAh! It worked! Thanks for everyone's input anyway.

admin

Katana Firmware 2.02 out now
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/4b233e0e-e986-494f-9e1f-11ee766679b4/

Update history
[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
Please refer to the "KATANA Series Version 2 Supplementary Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

hsuru4u

oh no....boss is making it harder for gumtown to catch up and have his program compatible...

rolandvg99

Quote from: hsuru4u on November 01, 2017, 06:12:44 PM
oh no....boss is making it harder for gumtown to catch up and have his program compatible...

Not really, as there is another update on the horizon aimed at fixing the SYSEX problems.

admin

Quote from: rolandvg99 on November 01, 2017, 10:19:22 PM

Not really, as there is another update on the horizon aimed at fixing the SYSEX problems.

Not that im awate of

Afaik, this katana Firmware 2.02 will be the last version we will get.

rolandvg99

From the Boss Katana facebook group

Quote"To all the members here:

Regarding the upcoming update, here are the words from Boss:

"Please tell community people we are fixing bugs which we recognized including reported on TGP except the fxfloorboard Sys Ex, we will fix this Sys Ex problem soon too."

--------------------

In the meantime, don't waste your precious time, stay calm, sit back, relax, grab your guitar and rock the f**k out of it.

We're all into this for because we love the sound coming out of our amp and making music with it.

Rock on!"

gumtown

Not sure I understand what the sysex problem is??
They (Boss) are quite welcome to communicate with me about it.

I think I might have found what the problem is...
Playing with patch data writing to my Katana after the 2.02 update, I found that firmware version 1 of FxFloorBoard writes and saves to the Katana, but version2 (which no-one has seen yet) does not save to the Katana channels.
Seems that the difference is the extra patch data contained in firmware 2 patch data is more, and the Katana does not like it being written back into it.
A solution seems to truncate the unused patch data from the end of the patch when written to the Katana.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/