ATG-1 - Too big for rack mount - Grrr

Started by vtgearhead, September 05, 2017, 01:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

Decided to take my own advice and try to rack mount my ATG-1.  The blasted thing is too wide for a 19" EIA rack shelf!  I cannot think of a practical solution that doesn't involve a bandsaw. 

Elantric

I had informed Antares that the ATG-1 was going to be "too big" for most stages. and sent detailed examples of MIDI Controller Owners manuals to them  - with the hope that ATG-1 could perform double duty  and also work as a Master  MIDI Controller for the whole rig. (Perhaps control a Kemper or Axe-FX)

I was frustrated because the ATG-1 with earliest  firmware did not transmit any MIDI

and the "GK Thru" jack was poorly implemented afferthought - I recall it still does not pass GK-3 S1/S2 switch controls to the  GK Processor connected tot he ATG-1 "GK Thru 13 pin Output   

Rhcole

The ATG-1 is the product you "hate to love" or perhaps "love to hate". It is both wonderful and an irritant at the same time.
For some reason, that is common with many if not most 13 pin products.

It's like the developers are part of a secret club where after hours they chortle and share drinks: "Yeah, that's right! the ATG-1 is 19.5 inches, just slightly TOO BIG for a rack!!"
(howling drunken laughter)

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

ATG-1 Dimensions: 19.5" x 10.25" x 3.5"

ATG-1  can be rack mounted on a shelf inside an oversize Isolated type case

drbill

Too big by a large margin. Considering the scant MIDI implementation, I sure wish they'd have left out the expression pedal. From the hardware to the utility software, it feels like a prototype.

I wish it were a pedal the size of the GP-10 or a 1U rackmount

It does deliver on its advertised functionality, though.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

Quote from: drbill on September 05, 2017, 04:34:34 PM

I wish it were a pedal the size of the GP-10 or a 1U rackmount

It does deliver on its advertised functionality, though.

Basically what I told them in 2014 when I beta tested it

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on September 05, 2017, 04:28:25 PM

ATG-1 Dimensions: 19.5" x 10.25" x 3.5"

ATG-1  can be rack mounted on a shelf inside an oversize Isolated type case

Yes, perhaps on the bottom pan of a 2-space shelf that's been flipped upside down...  Antares certainly tried very hard to make this thing fail in the marketplace.  Why bother with beta testers (especially those as experienced as Steve) if you simply ignore their input?

vanceg

Yeah - I thought Roland US ignoring the VG-99 was bad... but implying that guitarists can't tune their own instruments and then making that one, actually minor, feature of your product the FIRST thing you focus on in your marketing is... beyond bizarre to me.   A very complete misstep, IMHO.  Amazing product (version 2 would have been really great).. but.. .alas.

whippinpost91850

couldn't agree more with you vance. A version 2 smaller and more stealth with more guitar models would have been awesome ???

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: snhirsch on September 05, 2017, 01:28:07 PM
Decided to take my own advice and try to rack mount my ATG-1.  The blasted thing is too wide for a 19" EIA rack shelf!  I cannot think of a practical solution that doesn't involve a bandsaw.

Would you be interested in a Eurorack Module version?  I'm working on a prototype 10U wide ATG.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

vtgearhead

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on September 06, 2017, 02:52:55 PM
Would you be interested in a Eurorack Module version?  I'm working on a prototype 10U wide ATG.

Is this based on the Luthier kit or a conversion of a floor pedal?  Would need some details / pricing, etc.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: snhirsch on September 06, 2017, 07:34:52 PM
Is this based on the Luthier kit or a conversion of a floor pedal?  Would need some details / pricing, etc.

Based on Luthier Kit.  Too early for pricing at this point.

admin

QuoteBased on Luthier Kit.  Too early for pricing at this point.

Which unlike the stereo output ATG-1 DSP,  Luthier Kit DSP is mono output only, and has smaller memory  - not possible to add the ATG Pedal Steel Guitar pack to the Luthier kit 

vtgearhead

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on September 07, 2017, 10:53:50 AM
Based on Luthier Kit.  Too early for pricing at this point.

You must have cornered the market on Luthier kits :-).  I was tempted to pick one up in late August, but the Ampli-Firebox was released the same day. 

Majiken

I have a luthier kit bought last-minute, waiting for the guitar to be built around it  :). Got a bunch of ideas, like an Evertune bridge... just not priority 1 at the moment, already have one guitar with it.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

BobTheDog

After being very impressed with my ATG-1 I am looking at getting a luthier kit, is it too late now. The Antares site seems to show that :(

Elantric

QuoteAfter being very impressed with my ATG-1 I am looking at getting a luthier kit, is it too late now. The Antares site seems to show that :(

Yes - I believe you are too late

http://www.antarestech.com/email/2017Archive/ATGDiscontinueNotification.html

BobTheDog

Thanks. Seems a shame.

They must have a load of them hanging around somewhere as well.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: BobTheDog on September 25, 2017, 12:18:10 PM
Thanks. Seems a shame.

They must have a load of them hanging around somewhere as well.

You can email Henrik at Antares - it may be possible to pick up a kit still.

vanceg

Quote from: aliensporebomb on September 05, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
It's 19.5 inches?  Really?

Same width as the Mastermind GT MIDI footpedal.  Why???