More Exp pedal weirdness (not volume related)

Started by jodama, July 22, 2017, 12:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodama

This just started happening, so I'm thinking it must mean my GR55 is on the fritz, but I figured I'd see what you all think..

My expression pedal is causing patch bank changes. This just started happening, and I checked all assignments and pedal settings. I never had the pedal set up to control patches...always volume or wah or whatever else was appropriate for the patch at hand.

In exasperation, I did a factory reset, and nothing changed. I should mention that it only seems to happen when moving the pedal quickly. If I move it gradually back and forth, it leaves the patch bank alone.

The unit is borked, right? Is there something I could possibly be missing? This sucks..

gumtown

I will be some sort of 'physical' problem causing this,
I am thinking maybe a patch pedal or switch stuck down slightly,
and the EXP pedal pressure/compression on the metal case is causing the switch to contact.

This may mean opening up the GR-55, stripping it down, cleaning the patch pedal mech's with a light lube (CRC, or WD40).
And try to check the switches mounted on the circuit board that the y have a click action,
some of my GR-55 switches have gone a little dull, mainly the 'Enter' and 'Edit' ones on mine.
A spray of a little "DeOxit" into the switch contacts might help.

Then check the re-assembly of the GR-55 board that the foot switch pedals move a small amount before contacting the circuit board tactile switches.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Everything Gumtown said...
..and also if there is a wayward Ground connection being established between the it and the S1 and/or S2 switch conductors on the existing Roland 13-pin jack or its connections onto the GR-55 mainboard..(that is responding to movement of components when the expression pedal is moved), that could also be a factor.

Take the bottom plate off the GR-55 and look for loose, floating bits and pieces as a start...the original Roland jack has a small PCB attached and (exposed) solder joints to the wiring that goes to the multiplug that connects to the mainboard.  All that is in close proximity to the underside (moving) components of the expression pedal..

..Just a thought.

Let us know how you get on, and / or ask more questions.

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

admin

back up your patches and perform a GR-55 System Reset

Roland GR-55 Factory Reset (Initialize)

Use the following procedure to clear the GR-55's internal memory and reload its factory settings.

Caution: All User information is lost during a Factory Reset. Be sure to first back up anything you wish to keep before proceeding.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the right-hand PAGE button to select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Cursor to "BACKUP/INIT," and then press ENTER.

4. Cursor to "FACTORY RESET," and then press ENTER.

5. Cursor to "OK," and then press ENTER—"FACTORY RESET..." appears in the display.

6. When "PLEASE RESTART" appears, turn the GR-55's power off and back on.

jodama

Thanks for all the replies. As I mentioned above, a factory reset didn't seem to have any effect.

However, I pulled the thing apart, sprayed some deoxit wherever seemed appropriate, unplugged and replugged the exp pedal daughter board (that connector seems a little loose...may have something to do with it), and reassembled. The patch change problem happened when I first moved the pedal, but then stopped and hasn't happened since.

I really put it through its paces without incident, so it seems the problem is gone. I'm not sure what the cause was, or if it will come back, but for now things are good. Thanks for all your suggestions! I was ready to chuck the thing in the garbage.

gumbo

Quote from: jodama on July 23, 2017, 10:32:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies. As I mentioned above, a factory reset didn't seem to have any effect.

However, I pulled the thing apart, sprayed some deoxit wherever seemed appropriate, unplugged and replugged the exp pedal daughter board (that connector seems a little loose...may have something to do with it), and reassembled. The patch change problem happened when I first moved the pedal, but then stopped and hasn't happened since.

I really put it through its paces without incident, so it seems the problem is gone. I'm not sure what the cause was, or if it will come back, but for now things are good. Thanks for all your suggestions! I was ready to chuck the think in the garbage.

WOO HOO !!!   ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...