Katana head midi program change

Started by Gurbz, June 10, 2017, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurbz

Hi all,

A happy  :) Katana head user here with a question:

Is it possible through midi to assign a vg-88 patch to a katana program (channel 1-4+panel)?
For example: patch 1 on vg-88 is assigned to channel 3 katana, patch 6 is assigned to channel 1, etc

My setup is a vg-88 (v1.2), a katana head + 2x12 marshall.
Sound rocks, keeps up with JVM 50w tubehead.
I currently select my guitarmodel (vg-88) and amp (katana) seperate frim each other with the ga-fc switch. Not a bad situation, I get to choose which gutar drives which amp.
I'n planning an v2 update with an ebay vg-88 update kit.

The midi option would be nice however, I als checked out a midisolutions midi event changer.
In vg-88 v1.2 I found no solution in the midi progran change map, I can only use bank 1 (patch 1-4) or bank 25 or bank 51. It is not possible to use other patches on the vg-88.

So selecting patch 4-3 (vg-88) with a program change 3 to katana seems not possible or am I confused here?

Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks in advance!

GurbZ
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

gumtown

The Katana does not have a programmable midi table,
so it would then make sense to re-arrange the VG-88 patches you require to be in the first 4 patch positions to align with the Katana channels.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Gurbz

Thanks, I understand your solution.
So the only option on the vg-88  is patch 1-4(+2-1 drives panel katana)?
This way I can only connect one guitar model to one channel.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Reading further upon the subject I could use a midi solutions midi event processor to change a vg-88 #cc message to a program change message. Power of that solution would be a one time mapping of parameters. A yamaha mep4 could do the same trick.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Solved the situation: I now can combine all vg-88 user presets with any of the 4 programmed preset on the boss katana head. Say I wanna use telecaster model, preset 8 vg-88 with preset 1 katana, I was in trouble because of the lack of a midi map.

My solution: a roland um-one usb midi adapter (I used for updating vg-88 to v2 software) in tablet mode with two great little apps: midibridge and freEWI. This turns an old iPhone in a full blown midi program change mapper. The #cc messages are also editable so now I can keave the ga-fc at home when using the vg-88.

Grtz,

Gurbz
Grtz,

Gurbz