Boss SY-1000 Resynthesis - Multitrack Recording with Individual String Outputs

Started by drjoness2001, January 24, 2021, 11:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

I posted a video on resynthesis using the SY-1000. I am using the individual string outputs in the USB stream to record each string individually, then changing the SY-1000 patches on play back. This is really, really cool. At the end of the video I explore putting an awesome NI Reaktor guitar synthesizer created by Mark Smart on each string. This opens up really new territory for guitar synthesis existing entirely in the DAW, outside of, and unlimited by, the guitar synth features of the SY-1000. Roland did a great job with the USB audio implementation. This might be one of the coolest features of the SY-1000.

drjoness2001

This video shows how to create a basic guitar synthesizer using NI Reaktor 6 with the SY-1000. This uses the individual string outputs available in the USB stream. If you want to build something like this, I have links to the Reaktor plug in I created, plus a link to Mark Smart's awesome Reaktor page on my website:

https://www.joness.com/gr300/SY-1000.htm

The ability to work with each string individually is something we have been requesting for years, and it is great to see Roland implement this feature in the SY-1000. This really opens up amazing new possibilities for guitar synthesis.

billbax

QuoteNot sure why we would want to do this given the SY-1000's already superior synth capabilities. 

You make a good point there Bluesbird, and Wayne must be aware there are other hardward techniques with breaking out of a hex preamp.  You don't necessarily need a GP10 or a SY1000 to gain access with separate strings.

I am sure there are other "resynthesis" plugins out there that work with a Mac/PC (some free), and all that's needed is someone to make an inexpensive GK to DAW breakout cable :D  Appreciate the basic guitar synthesizer with NI Reaktor btw. Thank you Wayne.

Six separate string instances of Gareth Whittock's 'Monolith' plugin would be a good alternative starting point. Failing that, there must be other resynthesis plugins?
http://garethwhittock.co.uk/plug-ins/ 

Bill

Vaultnaemsae

I think the most interesting thing here was watching Wayne building a synth in Reaktor. It's a really deep program with virtually infinite potential. Thanks for the vids.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Kevin M

The possibilities for multitrack recording like this are mind-blowing, actually. Great info!

drjoness2001

Quote from: billbax on January 25, 2021, 06:53:30 AM
You make a good point there Bluesbird, and Wayne must be aware there are other hardward techniques with breaking out of a hex preamp.  You don't necessarily need a GP10 or a SY1000 to gain access with separate strings.

I am sure there are other "resynthesis" plugins out there that work with a Mac/PC (some free), and all that's needed is someone to make an inexpensive GK to DAW breakout cable :D  Appreciate the basic guitar synthesizer with NI Reaktor btw. Thank you Wayne.

Six separate string instances of Gareth Whittock's 'Monolith' plugin would be a good alternative starting point. Failing that, there must be other resynthesis plugins?

Bill

Well, I used to make a box that provided six individual outputs, the GK-Expander,  and I used it to demo the GR-D. This was not a simple thing to do, I needed more than just a break out cable, there were issues of filtering for DC, ground loops, etc. This was all built into the GK-Expander. After all that, then I needed an audio interface that had at least six inputs and outputs. I used a MOTU 2408 MK3. I got all this up and running, but it was certainly cumbersome. Once I was done, I never set up this rig again, it was just too much trouble, too much patching, etc.

And after all that, it is still not as good as the SY-1000 or GP-10, where the USB stream signals are post the initial GK Setttings. So with the GK-Expander, or a 'break out' cable, you need to note which guitar you used on the track, and you have to stick with that guitar, since you cannot really change GK Settings in the middle of a performance. That is what I loved about the implementation, as you are getting the signals post the input processing, the signals are normalized.

At least for me, if something is a pain in the ass to set up and use, I am not very like to set up and use it.

jassy

Quote from: billbax on January 25, 2021, 06:53:30 AM

Bill
Monolith was a promissing effort, I liked it a lot, but it was incomplete, and AFAIK was abandoned many years ago.
Today, in the software side, I would say that Zebrify is an amazing alternative, a fast and realieable pitch tracking and an impressive synth engine equivalent of Zebra, one of the most advanced and best sounding actual soft synths, used by Hans Zimmer in their films. Can be used running 6 instances with wonderful results.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13010.msg218748#msg218748
Also PD Guitar Space from Guitarpolson partner in this forum, is an amazing alternative, solid, colorful and very musical, it uses resynthesis techniques, the sound of the guitar is the oscillator, so the tracking is instantaneous. Chek it here:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29736.msg218033#msg218033

arkieboy

Good post, Wayne.  Using the SY1000 as an advanced hexaphonic-USB interface will extend the life of the unit considerably and hopefully tempt developers to look at developing plugins to work with it ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

drjoness2001

I have added another video with some more details on recording the master stereo output from the SY-1000 and layering sounds.

glennguitarcarr

So, I have a problem on this guys. Hopefully someone is familiar. I am well aquainted with Resynthesis using GP-10 (they called it "Reamping" at the time). No issues. But when I try to do this with SY-1000 I can't get it to work. I connected the SY to my PC via USB, opened BTS Software first opened the same project in my Cakewalk DAW (1 & 2 OUT, 3 - 8 IN) that I had used for my GP-10. From there I successfully recorded a dry signal into the DAW while hearing the SY effected signal through my FRFR Amp. So far, so good. Now I am ready to use the DAW to send my guitar riff back through the SY so that I can edit the patch. So I set the SY to Resynthesis and hit play on the DAW. But when I do so, I am only hearing a dry signal from the SY. If I click on different patches in BTS, I am still only hearing a dry signal. This makes no difference whether I select RESYNTH1 or RESYNTH2. Thanks.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: glennguitarcarr on December 02, 2021, 02:14:31 PM
So, I have a problem on this guys. Hopefully someone is familiar. I am well aquainted with Resynthesis using GP-10 (they called it "Reamping" at the time). No issues. But when I try to do this with SY-1000 I can't get it to work. I connected the SY to my PC via USB, opened BTS Software first opened the same project in my Cakewalk DAW (1 & 2 OUT, 3 - 8 IN) that I had used for my GP-10. From there I successfully recorded a dry signal into the DAW while hearing the SY effected signal through my FRFR Amp. So far, so good. Now I am ready to use the DAW to send my guitar riff back through the SY so that I can edit the patch. So I set the SY to Resynthesis and hit play on the DAW. But when I do so, I am only hearing a dry signal from the SY. If I click on different patches in BTS, I am still only hearing a dry signal. This makes no difference whether I select RESYNTH1 or RESYNTH2. Thanks.

Are you routing the tracks back through the same channels (input) ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch