Godin Multiac Nylon SA - buzzing on high E string

Started by Marin, April 24, 2017, 03:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marin

Hi!

I've bought used Godin Multiac Nylon SA about six months ago.
Everything was working fine, but few weeks ago I noticed a little buzzing on high E string. Since I noticed that when playing through GR55, I thought that the reason for buzzing was in GR55, that maybe some effect in the chain causes buzzing, so I ignored it.
Just few days ago I played Godin (after a long time) with regular guitar cable, and the buzzing is there again, and this time even worse than the first time.

So, first of all, there are a few short audio clips I recorded for you.
Short-melody-E-string.mp3
Here you can hear how that buzzing sounds.
Short-melody-B-string.mp3
Same short melody as in first example, but this time on B string, so that you can hear that buzzing is exclusively on E string, other string sound as clear as they should.
Just-E-tone.mp3
Open E string plucked a few times, again, that's how that buzz sounds.
E-to-D-mp3
Well, this may come as a surprise, but when I tune down E string to D, buzzing disappears! String sounds as it should, and here is again same short melody from the first example.

Here are few things I tried so far:
- Changing battery
- Opening Godin to see if some contact seems to be loose, but everything seems ok (although, I'm in no way expert for this)
- Changing E-string
- Rotating pickup saddle for E string 180 degrees

A few other things to point out:

- I believe that buzzing doesn't come as a result of some kind of physical resonance because I can't hear any kind of buzzing when I play guitar unplugged.
- Buzzing seems to increase the harder I pluck the string.
- Sometimes when I plug the guitar, there is no buzzing, but it starts to gradually increase after some short time.

I don't have warranty for guitar, and I live in Croatia, which means that there is nobody here who could check Godin guitar.
Can someone help me with some kind of advice? This guitar is very important to me.
Thank you!

Marin

It seems like nobody had this kind of problem?
Or maybe right person hasn't read this post yet?  :)

Anyway, it seems like I've managed to solve this issue, and I will post solution here for maybe someone else who will have same problem in the future. So, the cause of that buzz sound was piezo on E string. To be more precise, top part of piezo became a little bit loose and there was a very small gap between it and the other part (body?) of the piezo. I think you will understand what am I talking about if you take a look at the attached picture. I've pointed out the exact spot where this little gap occured.

And the solution? Well, i just dropped one drop of cyanoacrylic glue, waited for it to dry and that was it :-)
For know, there is no buzzing sound whatsoever, and I believe it won't appear again.
As a slight side effect, it seems that E string now is not so bright as other strings, but that's not very noticeable and in this situation it was more than acceptable compromise.

From now on, beside spare strings, batteries etc, I will also always carry glue with me  ;D

nix808

If you want to make all the strings dull off,
then glue both sides of the piezos to the body then maybe?
Methanocryolate(super glue)-
is another one that sticks wicked, but doesn't fill very well

So glad u r back in business!
Rock and Rock my boat, as long as you don't rock and rock my boat!hehe

Marin

Oh no! I don't want to dull off all strings!  ;D
Anyway, thank you for suggestion  ;D