Using PK-5 to control sounds on GR-33. Is this possible?

Started by lou bourbon, April 04, 2017, 01:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou bourbon

Please forgive my ignorance. Outside of setting up a midi clock to get all my effects to modulate in time, I really know little about MIDI outside of what it's supposed to do.

My question is simple and it is, can the PK-5 dynamic MIDI pedal be used to trigger sounds stored in the GR-33 and if so, do I need some sort of interface outside of the MIDI cable to set this up? (PK-5 MIDI out to GR-33 MIDI in?)

Secondly? Can BOTH the PK-5 and the GK-3 pickup be routed into the GR-33 to trigger the same patch without having to switch any button or footswitch?

My desire is to use the GK-3 pickup to generate BASS sounds only, using the lowest two strings on my instrument (turning the volume down on the other strings), but I occasionally want lower notes than possible on the instrument with the GK-3, and I'd like to be able to press one of the pedals on the PK-5 to get that note.

A work around would be to have two different GR-33 units (I guess) both on the same patch. I'm still not sure if using the PK-5 with the GR-33 is possible.

Please again...I'm a newbie but fairly capable of learning. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

lou bourbon

OK....

I have just figured out how to correctly set the MIDI channel on the PK-5 midi out and synch it up to the MIDI input on the GR-33. I'm effectively using the PK-5 bass MIDI pedals to control sounds on the GR-33.

BIG question....can the GK-3 ALSO be used with this synth at the same time the pedals are being used?

gumtown

For the GR-33, yes (not 100% sure), you can use both midi note input and the GK-3 conversion at the same time.
I might also guess (again not 100% sure), you can only use the one patch sound set for both (both PK-5 and GK-3) will play the same sound/tone.

If it were the GR-20, then it only allows GK-3 or midi input, and not both.

If it were me, I would try it first, then ask questions latter  ;D
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

lou bourbon

Sounds like good advice. My specialized pickup for the instrument is not yet built so that test can't be done yet. I bet that when you put the MIDI Channel on POLY on the GR-33, you are accessing the 13 pin cable only (but I don't know that for sure). When the pickup is built and installed, I'll experiment and report back. I'm happy though that I figured out how to use the PK-5 with the GR-33. It's a cool toy in the meantime.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Lou

admin

i can confirm the following

For the GR-33, yes  you can use both midi note input ( via 5 pin MIDI input) and the GK-3 (via GK13 pin input) at the same time for drive the GR-33 as a tone module.
But, you can only use the one common patch sound set for both (both PK-5 and GK-3) will play the same GR-33 sound/tone.

gumtown

Lucky you don't use the GR-55, as the GR-55 does not allow midi note input.
I really wanted this feature, so I could, like you, use a PK-5 for midi note playing along with the GK.

But I do have a GR-33, still in the original box and packaging, stashed away.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/