GP-10 - Mixing the guitar pickup with the GK3...

Started by bwmer, March 19, 2017, 07:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwmer

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't certain whether this post was better put in the DIY forum or this one.  I chose this as it's the GP-10 that I have with the package including the GK3 pickup. 

So, I'm at odds with the "mix" of the stock pickups + GK3.  I saw the schematic and noted the guitar pickup is buffered with an op amp.  Anyone tried defeating that with a mod so you can use the 13 pin cable and still get straight pickup signal to an amp?

Brad

gumtown

The purpose of the GK-3 op-amp is to convert the high impedance guitar signal to low impedance (about 100 ohms) to prevent noise and cross talk within the GK 13 pin cable.

If you want regular high Z guitar tone to your amp, run a regular guitar cable direct from your guitar to the amp.

AFTER THOUGHT NOTE: if you are referring the 'amp' within the GP-10, an unbuffered signal would end up very weak, due to going into a low impedance input of the GP-10 internals.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bwmer

I did see that in the schematic.  Hmmm, I'm contemplating installing some low-Z active EMG pickups, bypassing the GK3 buffer and tapping off of the GK pin7 inside the GP-10 to direct feed my amp.  Might give me the best of both worlds?

Anyone tried this?

Brad

admin

QuoteSo, I'm at odds with the "mix" of the stock pickups + GK3.

Be sure you have set the PU PHASE for the best sound when combining Normal PUs and the COSM Models

QuoteI did see that in the schematic.  Hmmm, I'm contemplating installing some low-Z active EMG pickups, bypassing the GK3 buffer and tapping off of the GK pin7 inside the GP-10 to direct feed my amp.  Might give me the best of both worlds?

If you experience tone issues for normal mag pickups with one 13 pin cable , most will just use a separate 1/4" guitar cable from their guitar's normal 1/4" output jack to feed their other gear.

bwmer

THANKS for that tip!  Wow, I'm going to need to dig a lot for this beast. :O :)