Katana - harmonist patches

Started by Stevie F, March 11, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie F

hi i am having difficulty using the harmonist  i am after a 3 d echo sound for a new song i am writing; has anyone have  any patches  they can share with me  of what they have created as there is nothing in the tone studio thank you hope some one can help stephen

Meesha

afaiu - harmonist needs to be ajusted to the exact key you are playing in ... as well as remaining fx for your liking... have no idea what do you ask and what you expect to be done for your purpose? that's one of quite tricky effect to use, not one magic "do it beautiful" button in fx chain

Stevie F

Thankyou Meesha your right no beautiful button like the eventide or helix but   my question related to help help i asked ,was has anyone got any harmonist patches they can share? with us all or   more detailed advice on how to start as many allready know its tricky when layering 2 patches

Meesha

sorry for saying it, but for my amateur taste harmonizer is useless... it is stricted to one chord harmony, so for me it's a not one trick, but more like half trick pony at all...
i use double/triple tracking to record harmonized part as in this my horrible example attached (sorry, i'm not a musician at all)
will track this topic if i'll have an idea or learn how to use this harm effect at all... yet i only see a chord i can choose in tone studio in that fx setting, but have no clue if it's usable to play one chord harmonized solo at all

sorry my english as well, we're using different one over here in Russia )

admin

Quotesorry for saying it, but for my amateur taste harmonizer is useless... it is stricted to one chord harmony, so for me it's a not one trick, but more like half trick pony at all...
i use double/triple tracking to record harmonized part as in this my horrible example attached (sorry, i'm not a musician at all)

for many folks - they simply want to cover a tune where there was a doubled lead guitar part on one key  - like Bad Company "Cant get enough of your love." - the Katana's harmonist FX works fine for that

mercury1

Quote from: Meesha on April 04, 2017, 03:17:01 PM
sorry for saying it, but for my amateur taste harmonizer is useless... it is stricted to one chord harmony, so for me it's a not one trick, but more like half trick pony at all...
will track this topic if i'll have an idea or learn how to use this harm effect at all... yet i only see a chord i can choose in tone studio in that fx setting, but have no clue if it's usable to play one chord harmonized solo at all

sorry my english as well, we're using different one over here in Russia )

I don't know if this will help but I have some suggestions:
1- set key in tone studio to key of song ( tricky sometimes, if Am sounds wrong try G major ) ( if C major sounds wrong try Dm ) all keys are based on diatonic scales. The modes are derived from shifting the key in respect to actual key of the song. Most times it will be Major (natural major scale or Ionian major mode), Mixolydian mode ( Major scale with Flat 7th ), Minor ( natural minor or Aeolian mode ) or Dorian mode ( minor scale with sharp 6th)
So C dorian= B Flat major, ... C mixolydian= D minor
2- set interval to +3 on first harmony
3- set interval to +5 ( or +7 ) on second harmony
4- most harmonizers take a note that is played outside the key and interpret as a diminished chord, so this may or may not work for you
Your sound file example has "accidentals" (notes outside the key of the song) so I don't know if this will work out for you but if you follow the key and interval examples this would be close
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

Meesha

thanx, mercury1 !
i researched few tabs for that song, and for my taste they all was wrong here or there, so i had to listen a lot and tried to mimic exact may's playing on record.. that was my try)
will have to give harmonist another go anyway while practice )))

mercury1

meesha -I made a mistake on the 2nd harmony setting . I should have told you  to try +6 on 2nd harmony ( instead of +5 or +7 ). I was too preoccupied with explaining the key theory and got a little confused with settings on the interval...sorry
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

Stevie F

Quote from: Meesha on March 12, 2017, 01:38:20 AM
afaiu - harmonist needs to be ajusted to the exact key you are playing in ... as well as remaining fx for your liking... have no idea what do you ask and what you expect to be done for your purpose? that's one of quite tricky effect to use, not one magic "do it beautiful" button in fx c i am looki g for a trevour rabin[ sound like on the helix quote author=Meesha link=topic=20379.msg148326#msg148326 date=1491401528]
thanx, mercury1 !
i researched few tabs for that song, and for my taste they all was wrong here or there, so i had to listen a lot and tried to mimic exact may's playing on record.. that was my try)
will have to give harmonist another go anyway while practice )))

Nunorox

Admin... Could you post another video? The Bad Company one was taken down unfortunately....

admin

Nunorox