GP-10- Guitar to MIDI w/ MIDX-20 stuck notes while strumming

Started by Breezeplay, March 06, 2017, 01:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breezeplay

Hi, I am running my GP10 through a MIDX-20 into a Roland SD50 and the into my guitar amp - the guitar sound in one channel and the SD50 into the other channel. When I strum faster than a medium tempo I get notes that "stick." I have tried running it through my computer in Presonus Studio One and the notes do not stick.  I have tried 2 different modules - DS 330 and SD50. I have replaced cables and sprayed leads with contact cleaner. Can anyone offer any other suggestions?
Many thanks,
David

Breezeplay

I have a GP10 which I am running through a MIDX- 20 to control a Roland SD50 sound module. When I play more than medium tempo songs the notes "stick" on the module. Anyone have this problem? I also tried a DS 330 and the same thing happened. It was fine when I plugged the GP10 and MIDX-20 into my computer running Presonus Studio One. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Sure would be nice to get this sorted. Cheers, David

sixeight

Are all the notes sticking, or does it happen occasionally?

admin

They get stuck when he strums

(Something I never do when playing Guitar to MIDI )

Breezeplay

They don't stick usually while playing moderate tempo. Strumming works fine at moderate tempo. When you strum any faster the notes tend to get stuck. Individual notes stick. I found that toggling the expression pedal makes it happen more often even though the pedal is turned off in the GP10, so I leave the pedal alone. There is no way to turn off programme change info in either the GP10 or SD50 might be some of the problem. The synth is 128 note polyphonic  so wouldn't think that it would overload it with MIDI info. It happens the most when the guitar is in an open tuning. Might be asking too much from the technology at this point. The MIDX-20 will still track better than the Mel9 pedal that I had. 

romero

I just got my midx20 and also have sticking notes on ipad with sampletank and geoshred, thats all i have tested so far

CodeSmart

Quote from: romero on March 22, 2017, 08:12:31 PM
I just got my midx20 and also have sticking notes on ipad with sampletank and geoshred, thats all i have tested so far
Ok guys, I'll give this a deeper look.
I'll see if I can replicate the problem on my iPad and figure out what to do.
/Robert
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

Tonight I did some testing:
Test case 1. GP-10 to LWR USB. MIDI OUT to iPad using Edirol UM-1X and also Roland UM-ONE MKII to Camera Adapter to iPad with SampleTank. I play Flamenco style 6 strings chords with plectrum brutally splatter on steroids for long durarions, really brutally, really-really fast with immediate stops. No stuck notes.

Test case 2. FTP LWR USB. Same test same approach. No stuck notes.
(The test really shows the superiority of the FTP Guitar-to-MIDI translations vs the GP-10. Specially on lower strings)

But really guys, even how fast or how massive I play, hammering the poor guitar with very fast up/down strokes of full 6 strings chords(I'm really not a slow player) for many seconds followed by sometimes immediate stops there's no stuck notes. I cannot reproduce. I tried piano, organ and guitar patches in SampleTank. I could post a video but I don't think it will help, believe me I'm really abusing the system.

My iPad is not new. It's 4-5 years, not one of the new ones they sell now.

So...I'm clueless...  :-\

Hm...tell me, what type of USB-to-MIDI converter cable do you use?

gumtown

Anyone using this type of USB Midi cable ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-IN-OUT-MIDI-Interface-Cable-Converter-PC-to-Music-Keyboard-Adapter-C3-/162381442923?hash=item25ceb02f6b:g:-P4AAOSwEzxYeILJ

If you do have one of these type (or a similar blue coloured one),
then you are $^!+ out of luck.
THESE TYPE SIMPLY DO NOT WORK RELIABLY !!
They are a waste of time.
get a reputable brand,
such as the Roland UM-One.

Just to clear up any confusion of looking in the wrong place for a solution.  ;)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

romero

I am also using a Roland UM One mk2. After more testing and adjusting play feel, and other settings, plugging the USB into the lower instead of upper, the stuck notes seem to be concentrated on the low E string and almost exclusively with stringed instrument patches(cello and violin, not guitars) in sample tank and garage band.

alancarl

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 23, 2017, 01:56:32 PM
Tonight I did some testing:
Test case 1. GP-10 to LWR USB. MIDI OUT to iPad using Edirol UM-1X and also Roland UM-ONE MKII to Camera Adapter to iPad with SampleTank. I play Flamenco style 6 strings chords with plectrum brutally splatter on steroids for long durarions, really brutally, really-really fast with immediate stops. No stuck notes.

Test case 2. FTP LWR USB. Same test same approach. No stuck notes.
(The test really shows the superiority of the FTP Guitar-to-MIDI translations vs the GP-10. Specially on lower strings)

But really guys, even how fast or how massive I play, hammering the poor guitar with very fast up/down strokes of full 6 strings chords(I'm really not a slow player) for many seconds followed by sometimes immediate stops there's no stuck notes. I cannot reproduce. I tried piano, organ and guitar patches in SampleTank. I could post a video but I don't think it will help, believe me I'm really abusing the system.

My iPad is not new. It's 4-5 years, not one of the new ones they sell now.

So...I'm clueless...  :-\

Hm...tell me, what type of USB-to-MIDI converter cable do you use?

I just tried the GP-10 USB to the MIDX-20 and MIDI DIN out to a Roland SE-02 so there is no flakey USB MIDI I/O in  this rig.. I got stuck MIDI notes continuously. Then I tried the same rig using the FTP in  place of the GP-10 and it worked wonderfully.
I have discovered that the issue seems to crop up when the GP-10 loads a Tempo type patch and once the the stuck notes start happening the MIDX-20 needs a Reset to smooth things out.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Al

CodeSmart

Quote from: alancarl on May 11, 2018, 11:27:39 AM
I just tried the GP-10 USB to the MIDX-20 and MIDI DIN out to a Roland SE-02 so there is no flakey USB MIDI I/O in  this rig.. I got stuck MIDI notes continuously. Then I tried the same rig using the FTP in  place of the GP-10 and it worked wonderfully.
I have discovered that the issue seems to crop up when the GP-10 loads a Tempo type patch and once the the stuck notes start happening the MIDX-20 needs a Reset to smooth things out.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Al

Could you please elaborate "load a tempo type patch", not sure what you mean. Also what firmware version are you using. Thanks.

alancarl

Hi Robert,
     I am using 2.8!and I see that there is now a newer firmware.
I went back to describe which GP-10 presets seem to trigger this malfunction but now I can't get the Midx to work correctly. I have reset it a few times with no change. I was thinking my next step would be to re-flash the firmware so now I will flash 2.9 and investigate this again when I  get a moment. I have also noticed that the Midx-20 is loosing it's setting of 'disable all bridges'.
Thanks Robert
Al
Ps I used the Midx-20 with a Fishman Triple Play on a jazz gig today and it worked perfectly!!

alancarl

Well I did update the Midx 20 to FW 2.9 and so far the stuck notes issue seems to be resolved. Sadly The GP-10 seems to be a bit laggy to me now.... Perhaps too many hours with the FTP?
Thanks Robert.