Gp 10 and iPad good enough to replace GR 55

Started by romero, February 05, 2017, 05:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romero

Hey all. Any Gr 55/Gp 10 owners using iPad with their Gp 10? Just curious if you think it can replace the Gr 55 for synths. I have been using Gr55 for 5 years now, and have acquired a Gp 10 last year I really like many things about it better than the GR55, but I would still like to have some synth access, I own a iPad Air 2, so it would be rather easy, my other option would be a Mac mini but I would prefer not to go that route (this would be my portable live setup)

sixeight

You will need a midx10,  a USB Midi cable and a camera connection kit to make the connection from the GP10 to the iPad.  A Mac mini is much more straightforward.

Jim Williams

QuoteYou will need a midx10,  a USB Midi cable and a camera connection kit to make the connection from the GP10 to the iPad.
I agree, the only problem is how to change pitch bend messages(chromatic on/off) from song to song or mono to polly settings.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

alexmcginness

Also, there are alternate tuning anomalies in the GP-10 that don't happen with the GR-55.  If you can live without alternate guitar tunings, Bobs youre Uncle.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Chumly

You can run 1/4" guitar into an iPad (via an interface), then to the iOS app MIDI Guitar 2, and then to any number of iOS synths and/or sample-players such as iSymphonic, M3000 Ultimate, SampleTank, Synthmaster Player, plus any number of audio processing apps, guitar amp modelers, DAW's, etc. The whole shebang is smaller, cheaper and more portable than an equivalent number of Mac apps, plus Mac, plus adjunct hardware.

In the alternative to the iOS app MIDI Guitar 2, go for the Fishman TriplePlay for the best pitch to MIDI, and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen would be a fine choice for an interface.

Things have changed dramatically in the iOS world as of late!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

vtgearhead

Quote from: alexmcginness on February 05, 2017, 07:55:24 AM
Also, there are alternate tuning anomalies in the GP-10 that don't happen with the GR-55.

I keep hearing talk about alt tuning issues with the GP-10, but I've always found it quite usable.  Not in the same league as the Antares ATG-1, but fine for ensemble playing.  We just worked up a cover of Blind Faith's 'Presence of the Lord' where I tune down a whole step for the sake of our bass player's vocal range.  Sounds great even when I solo my track in the DAW.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: snhirsch on February 05, 2017, 11:14:29 AM
I keep hearing talk about alt tuning issues with the GP-10, but I've always found it quite usable.  Not in the same league as the Antares ATG-1, but fine for ensemble playing.  We just worked up a cover of Blind Faith's 'Presence of the Lord' where I tune down a whole step for the sake of our bass player's vocal range.  Sounds great even when I solo my track in the DAW.

I'm not speaking about small imperfections

www.brakophonic.com/GP.mp3

this is a test I made 2 years ago.
The first part is sustained and not sustained chords with alt tuning
the middle is some of the weird double sounds with some of the extra tuning
The last part is the osc synth that triggers all over the place
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19730.msg141956#msg141956

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

vtgearhead

That's quite awful, yes.  I don't use mine for anything close to what you're doing, which is probably why I get away with it.

romero

Quote from: sixeight on February 05, 2017, 05:57:50 AM
You will need a midx10,  a USB Midi cable and a camera connection kit to make the connection from the GP10 to the iPad.  A Mac mini is much more straightforward.
I have all but the Midx so not much of a problem. Mac Mini will need ipad or other screen and take up pedalboard real estate, so that was why i asking is the ipad good enough, just for a layered synth here and there, or the occasional exotic instrument

Idgolfguy

MidiX works to send notes to Sampletank and Korg M1.
The latency is low and works for me because i have guitar sounds overlaid as well.

romero

Quote from: Chumly on February 05, 2017, 08:15:22 AM
You can run 1/4" guitar into an iPad (via an interface), then to the iOS app MIDI Guitar 2, and then to any number of iOS synths and/or sample-players such as iSymphonic, M3000 Ultimate, SampleTank, Synthmaster Player, plus any number of audio processing apps, guitar amp modelers, DAW's, etc. The whole shebang is smaller, cheaper and more portable than an equivalent number of Mac apps, plus Mac, plus adjunct hardware.

In the alternative to the iOS app MIDI Guitar 2, go for the Fishman TriplePlay for the best pitch to MIDI, and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen would be a fine choice for an interface.

Things have changed dramatically in the iOS world as of late!

Hey Chumly. MIDI guitar 2 sounds quite interesting, what interface do you use? Just wondering if there is much difference from running a cheap irig 1/8" plug style as opposed to a lightning based sonic port

Smash

MIDI guitar 2 is too CPU hungry to be able to run a decent guitar tone and synths alongside it. It regular peaks out the CPU on my iPad Air 2 and glitches as a result. That was running Sampletank Tonestack and Bias FX via AUM mixer. You will notice a performance drop with MG2 iOS vs what the GR55 is capable of not just in terms of latency but also lost notes in certain chords. Don't get me wrong - it's an amazing piece of kit - if you are just looking for synth pad washes behind your guitar it's perfect, lead solos probably not.

I can confirm that USB MIDI works great with Tonestack, Sampletank and iM1 running via AUM with no ovberlaod nice and smooth. I run parallel chains in tonestack one of which recreates the Zoom particle reverb sound and that involves a fair few DSP blocks! I actually have program changes working nicely via FTP D pad.

Headless68

I have been gigging iPad air2 for the last year running bias FX for guitar + AUM mixer + midiguitar2 + SampleTank
It's never let me down - the only precautionary measure I take it to switch wifi off then power off iPad then restart it (so it starts with no wifi) - using this method I get no glitching
App startup sequence : AUM > midiguitar2 > bias FX > SampleTank
(Then blueboard app) 

There are so many high quality soft synth options on iOS & low cost to buy them  (exc the iPad itself) I think it's a good option

Brak(E)man

What about Irig ( not the HD) , would it work with MidiGuitar ?
I'm using it with Jamup and amplitube and with
Those apps it works fine.
On Mac I have the cheapest behringer guitar to audio interface
and that works great
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

alexmcginness

Quote from: snhirsch on February 05, 2017, 11:14:29 AM

I got the same responses years ago when I reported hysteresis issues with the nylon guitar model in the VG-99. Some noticed it and those that didnt kind branded those that did as loonies.
   If youre not getting alt tuning issues with the GP-10 thats great. Theres more than a few of us that are. I was just pointing that out.
   I tried to port my 99 patches over to the GP-10 and was doin well until I got to the alt tune patches. Long story short, the 99 is still my live rig and the GP-10 is relagated to the studio. 

Quick update: Just as a solution was found to tackle ( yet not completely eliminate ) the nylon  hysteresis issues using the VG-99, I have found that this seems to be guitar related. My live setup  has me using a Trveller escape MKII with a GK-3 on it. That guitar is more microphonic than my 1990? American Standard Strat. I just plugged it on and gave it a shot using a Glenn Delaune patch called SRV-Eb. My strat is tuned to Eb so the resultant tuning takes that patch down to D and so far no anomalies. If I plug in the Traveller...you hear glitching. So, some work to isolate the pickup from the guitar may be in the future to see if a cure for this guitar with the GP-10 can bring about a fix. We shall see.

SOME TIME LATER: OK so I did my best to isolate the pickup by routing out a 1/8" deep slot and filling it up with the foam spacers that come with the GK-3. Two screws are holding it in to the body of the guitar and the rest of the pickup has no contact with the body of the guitar just the foam and still alt tuning glitches. I tried my Flying V that has an internal kit and it is flawless as well as my Strats. So, the issue seems to be with just that one guitar of mine. It has a bone nut and bridge. I dont know if that is a contributing factor or not...but it is what it is.
   I just found a second GP-10 with a GK-3 and a 13 pin cable on Ebay for $350 Canadian. So I'll have two to noodle with soon. As long as I use it with the electrics and not the Traveller Escape , I should be good to go.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

romero

Thanks everyone for your experiences and opinions, I am on the fence between Midx20 and soft synths or an IrigHD, MIDI guitar 2, and softsynths. Trying to keep as portable as possible

romero

Well I finally decided on the Midx 20 and iPad in conjunction with my GP-10 for synth sounds and overall functionality. I will post a short review and or video when I get my new board assembled

Thanks all