GR-55 - Floorboard text size problem w/ Win10 Hi Res Display

Started by tillthen, January 27, 2017, 08:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tillthen

recently got a a windows 10 surface pro4  tablet.....downloaded floorboard... It loads and connects fine....  But the text size within the interface is like twice the size it should be producing a jumbled mess.  I can't find a setting to reduce the text size.  Has anyone had this problem.  i know the solution is probably simple.  I can be slow at times. ??? ??? ???

I have tried adjusting the SETTINGS>Preferences>Aspect ratio setting

gumtown

What is the screen resolution of your tablet, and in the editor preferences, what ratio is shown?
Try un-checking (switch off) the auto size, set it to a ratio of 1:1, press OK, and then close and restart to editor program.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tillthen

2736 x 1824

the adjustments suggested were not successful

gumtown

I did manage to replicate your problem, but by increasing my system text font DPI up to 200% of normal size.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tillthen

I have scaled down all the system text settings.... nothing budged the size of the text, on the interface.   I used the settings>Display>Advanced settings> Adjust test size only system feature

tillthen

tillthen

unistalling and reinstalling had no affect on the problem...

tillthen

tillthen

Was hoping there would be a fix in the pipeline by this point.... Is that a possibility?  Sorry for the trouble.  You have to be a super busy person. 

gumtown

As far as I know, your system is the only one which has this problem,
can you get the software to run in a smaller window resolution like 1368 x 912.

Anyone else using a Surface Pro4 tablet?

tillthen

Did another install to a different folder.... Minimized my text to ant size.... And it's fine now ... just everything out than for the floorboard interface is super tiny

Elantric

FWIW - here is the default window/ text view after installing GR-55 Floorboard on Dell XPS 15 (9550) with 15" (3840 x 2160) Win 10 64 Home.

kimborg

I have exactly the same problem running Win10 64 bit with resolution 3200x1800.

gumtown

Is there a specific screen resolution when this happens?
If you use a lower resolution setting or monitor, does this still happen?

I don't have windows 10 nor a high res monitor, so it is probably a good time to upgrade to both.

kimborg

I've played around with different screen resolutions as well as prefernces in the program, but the text inside the "boxes" remains the same (too large). So far I haven't been able to do somehing about this. And as I see Floorboard is a must have extension to my new (used) GR-55, it would be very nice to solve this, as its challenging to use the program as it is now.

tado921

This is an issue with app scaling on High DPI displays. Basically, apps written on standard displays do not always translate properly to High DPI, and you wind up with either super tiny or oversized text. From my understanding, when the app launches Windows asks it if it is High DPI aware, and most of the time the app answers yes even if it is not. This appears to be the case with the Floorboard app.

The fix is to create an external manifest file for the app and have Windows read it to properly scale the app to the display. Here's how its done:

1. Create the manifest file. To make this easy I have attached it, but it will need to be renamed to GR-55FloorBoard.exe.manifest (the forum wouldn't let me attach it otherwise). Simply copy and paste into the Floorboard folder. On Windows 10 this is C:\Program Files (X86)\GR-55FloorBoard. It must be in the same folder as the GR-55FloorBoard.exe file.

Try starting the program to see if this works. If not, we have to tell Windows to read the manifest file by making a change to the registry.

2. As always, make sure you backup your registry and tread lightly in this area. We are just going to add one line. This is VERY simple. Do not be intimidated.

-Press  Windows Button + R, type "regedit", and then click OK.
    -Navigate to the following registry subkey:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide
    -Right-click, select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value
    -Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
    -Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
    -Enter Value Data 1 and select Decimal.
    -Click OK. Exit Registry Editor.

Launch the program again, this should resolve the issue. I did this on my Surface Pro 4 and it worked perfectly. Note that if you ever remove or upgrade the program then you might have to repeat this procedure. Also note that this method will work with other applications that have this issue, just rename the manifest file to match the EXE name, keeping the .manifest extension.

For reference, here is a link to a Microsoft support file on the topic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912949/en-us

Elantric

Quote1. Create the manifest file. To make this easy I have attached it, but it will need to be renamed to GR-55FloorBoard.exe.manifest (the forum wouldn't let me attach it otherwise)

Correct - Just rename the file to an accepted file extension - and tell folks to rename it after download

You did the right thing.

kimborg

Worked. Thanks a lot. Now I'm able to enjoy this program on my regular PC.  :)

tomslad

This fix works great and I can now use my GR55 on my Windows10 PC - Thanks for the help

SimBee

Thanks Tado  - that manifest trick worked a treat on my Surface Pro 4.  I was having the same problem as the others with over-sized text not fitting the boxes.
Now I can have my Surface Pro with me to  not only read the music, and control the digital mixer, but also tweak the sounds on our guitarists GR-55.
Thanks again!

gumtown

I am currently addressing this issue (right now!) so look out for an updated GR-55Floorboard soon.

A bit late to the Windows 10 upgrade, but I now have 2 Win 10 systems, with and without High DPI graphics.
So I get to see first hand the font size scaling problems.