Patches for a Godin Multiac Nylon

Started by Singwas, January 08, 2017, 08:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Singwas

I got a Multiac, which i am very proud of. I ll use it mainly for slower worship songs. I think i ll use mainly the original guitar sound. But i need some inspiration what to play with the Two PCM and the COSM. Which patches do you use?
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

stratrat

I don't use a Godin, but I do use a Carvin NS-1 which is similar. Normal guitar sound always on, via a different processor, to free up processing power on the GR - but you can just as easily route the normal sound through the GR.

Firstly, I'd say if you don't need the extra sounds, don't use them just because they are there. I'd give some thought to what was needed in the songs that wasn't already filled by another musician. Then I'd fill those holes with a combination of the following:

• PCM Pads - to fill out the sound behind the guitar (if there is no keyboardist to do that). Slow strings and synth pads, etc. Possibly lots of reverb if I really wanted to fill space (although rarely necessary when playing in a larger room like a church hall).
  • COSM Bass - If there is no bassist, I'd use modelled bass sounds on the bottom two or three strings. Patch it through the "Clean bass" Ampeg emulation in the mod chain. Tone quite fat (Bass: 60, Mids: 45, Treble: 35, Presence: 0) as the guitar sound would provide the treble. Mic on flat and speaker bypassed. No reverb to keep it tight.
  • COSM Acoustic Bass - same above, but use nylon guitar model shifted down an octave and no amp. Massive low end (similar to a contrabass)! Use an EQ for the lowpass filter if you want the natural guitar and bass sound to blend nicely, just adding in extra low-end extension to the guitar sound.
  • COSM Nashville tuned acoustic guitar - To fill out the guitar sound, turn it into a pseudo 12-string. Acoustic guitar model. 12-string setting with no original sound mixed in (which you get from your normal guitar sound). The four lower strings tuned up an octave. The two high strings detuned by +4 and -4 cent respectively to make them chorus with the normal higher strings. No need to detune the octaves as the natural glitchiness of the pitch shifting will do something similar.
  • COSM pseudo mandolin - same as above, but tune up the first two strings an octave too.
  • COSM "Mega" guitar - Same as above, but with the bottom three strings down an octave and the top three tuned up. Gives you a very big guitar that fills the role of bass, guitar and mandolin all at once. Tweaking of string levels essential to balance between basses and trebles (usually octave string levels turned quite low). Usually necessary to bring down the tone to mellow the bass attack. Easy on the reverb so you don't wash out the bass.
  • PCM organs - Guitars and organs, a match made in heaven. Spend time choosing just the right sound and change the octave so it doesn't fight the guitar sound. Experiment with the the Leslie sim and using the CTL switch to change rotor speeds. I still like keeping the bass strings as a COSM bass and organ just on the trebles.
  • String ensemble - If you fingerpick, try this for strings. Cello on your basses and viola on your trebles (or contrabass and violin).  Alternatively COSM bass on your low strings, viola on the top with a string section across all six strings (you can also play with octaves to make it fit). Control the level of the string section with the expression pedal, so you can manually swell the strings behind the other instruments when needed.

There's lots more, but that should keep you busy a while... Have fun!

Singwas

GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre