Time for a New Injection in 13 Pin Land

Started by Rhcole, August 11, 2016, 05:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericar123

Thanks, for some reason this thing has slipped by me. Never heard of it before.

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 30, 2016, 06:56:23 AM
FWIW-what you describe is being accomplished today with Antares ATG-1 feeding Axe-FX or Kemper with good results

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.msg102803#msg102803

Read reviews

Now_And_Then

Quote from: ericar123 on August 30, 2016, 05:32:29 AM
I tried my VG99 into my axe fx using the VG99 for guitar modeling only but found it very noisy.
I have never actually done this myself, although it's something that I've been planning for a long time.

I have to wonder if the noise is due to user error; I have never noticed the VG-99, or a GK pickup feeding the VG-99, to be noisy and if there was noise there, I'd expect that the patches using them would be noisy too. But that seems not to be the case.

In re: the Antares ATG: does it do anything other than guitar models? At this point, I have a wide-enough variety of guitars here that I don't really need guitar models - although I would indeed very much like the extensive mix-n-match guitar components capability of the VG-8 and VG-88; I also need/want something like the VG's synth sounds. Does the Antares offer anything like that?

alexmcginness

Quote from: Now_And_Then on August 30, 2016, 08:28:04 AM

I have to wonder if the noise is due to user error; I have never noticed the VG-99, or a GK pickup feeding the VG-99, to be noisy and if there was noise there, I'd expect that the patches using them would be noisy too. But that seems not to be the case.

Me too. I have a GK on my Strat and using HAR-BAL, I modeled my strat into the VG-99. I also set the volume of each string to match the real Strat and volume matched the output of the VG to match the real Strat. The VG from my findings is quieter than my strat just in the absence of single coil hum alone. I ran the virtual Strat into the best Marshall simulator I have ( a 2x12 Bluesbreaker combo with the Beano mod ) and it sounded just like the strat but better and a lot quieter. Gain staging in the VG-99 is crucial. Check your settings.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

ericar123

In my experience with the VG99, if you turn off all of the noise gates there is more noise with the hex pickup than running the guitars normal pickups into the VG with a 1/4" plug. This noise gets very bad with any high gain sounds.

Quote from: Now_And_Then on August 30, 2016, 08:28:04 AM

I have never actually done this myself, although it's something that I've been planning for a long time.

In re: the Antares ATG: does it do anything other than guitar models? At this point, I have a wide-enough variety of guitars here that I don't really need guitar models - although I would indeed very much like the extensive mix-n-match guitar components capability of the VG-8 and VG-88; I also need/want something like the VG's synth sounds. Does the Antares offer anything like that?

rolandvg99

Quote from: ericar123 on August 30, 2016, 09:21:42 AM
In my experience with the VG99, if you turn off all of the noise gates there is more noise with the hex pickup than running the guitars normal pickups into the VG with a 1/4" plug. This noise gets very bad with any high gain sounds.

Noise is clearly present with acoustic steel string types of guitars, but I never had any real issues with electric simulations. Noise gates is something I turn off ASAP as there are way better options in most DAWS when it comes to noise removal. One thing the COSM does nice is reducing noise when you back of on the volume controller.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

If you experience s shower of noise with hex pickup

Ask yourself what type hex pickup are using?

The GK-3 is relatively quiet

The Graphtech ghost is a shower of hiss and noise

The RMC Piezos have the lowest noise floor

ericar123

I mostly use a guitar with a GK kit installed. The noise gate on the GK is the one that might be forgotten when turning off
the gates. Maybe my install wasn't perfect with my kit. I have some GK3 pickups home so I will try them again to see if I can quiet things up some.

Quote from: Elantric on August 30, 2016, 02:24:42 PM
If you experience s shower of noise with hex pickup

Ask yourself what type hex pickup are using?

The GK-3 is relatively quiet

The Graphtech ghost is a shower of hiss and noise

The RMC Piezos have the lowest noise floor

chlorinemist

Quote from: ubertar on August 29, 2016, 01:24:34 PM
The SpiceTone is a cool thing, and I like those guys. They're in Estonia, if I recall correctly. But it's not analog. What interests me are analog pedals, and what makes a hexaphonic fuzz interesting (to me) is that, when you fuzz all the strings at the same time (regular pickup, mono signal) you get intermodulation distortion, which muddies things up, especially for complex, dissonant chords. With a hex signal and separate fuzz on each string, you avoid the intermodulation distortion, so you get the fuzz you want without the mud, making complex, dissonant chords nice and fuzzy without the mud. To each his own, of course. Os Mutantes used to do this, for their bass sound.

The Spicetone 6Appeal does in fact have a 100% analog signal path. Only the control is digital. It is the best pedal ever made, and you, founder of ubertar, of all people, should DEFINITELY!! own one!!!!!

Elantric

I just returned from the LA Amp Show and had a good "pow wow" meeting with Jeff Slingluff (Strategic Project Manager for BOSS and Roland Guitar Products) and the whole Roland / Boss US Guitar product team.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21869.msg157707;topicseen#msg157707
I got confirmation the GK 13 pin interface is NOT dead, and future GK products are in the works

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Elantric on October 02, 2017, 02:19:29 PM
I just returned from the LA Amp Show and had a good "pow wow" meeting with Jeff Slingluff (Strategic Project Manager for BOSS and Roland Guitar Products) and the whole Roland / Boss US Guitar product team.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21869.msg157707;topicseen#msg157707
I got confirmation the GK 13 pin interface is NOT dead, and future GK products are in the works

Fantastic news!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

vanceg

This is great to hear.  I won't replace everything with Lemo connectors, yet ;-)

chrish

How how about a 40th anniversary 13 pin analog GR300 pedal?

alexmcginness

Great. a VG 100 with external loop and a GK pickup that has two rotary controllers please.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mooncaine

Yes, loop. A loop that I can move around in the chain of effects.

rsm

I'd like to see a more modular design of different processing boxes, instead of mixed bag of doing one thing well and a little of something else that is likely insufficient.

For example, a stringed instrument/alt tuning processor; a poly synth processor, digital amp modeler and effects processor,...

these should be able to detect each other, create a single virtual signal chain with one Boss Tone Studio, and smart routing between each of the modules, or several independent signal chains that allow for moving different blocks to each chain.

Smart modular that can automatically accommodate whatever modules are connected 
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

Elantric

One thing we can be sure of, Roland/Boss will develop in a manner with features they deem appropriate for the marketplace, with little input from consulting anyone here at VGuitarforums.

Why?

Because the last time they sought advice and input from a user group (www.VG-8.com and Yahoo VG-8 Group. ) it resulted in the VG-99, which sadly Roland still views as a market failure     

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on October 09, 2017, 01:40:25 PM
the last time they sought advice and input from a user group (www.VG-8.com and Yahoo VG-8 Group. ) it resulted in the VG-99, which sadly Roland still views as a market failure   

They should have hired Bill Ruppert.......

gumtown

One thing we can be sure of, Roland/Boss will develop in a manner with features they deem appropriate for the marketplace, with little input from consulting anyone here at VGuitarforums.

Why?

Because the last time they sought advice and input from a user group (www.VG-8.com and Yahoo VG-8 Group. ) it resulted in the VG-99, which sadly Roland still views as a market failure   

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

chlorinemist

Quote from: rsm on October 09, 2017, 01:33:06 PM
I'd like to see a more modular design of different processing boxes, instead of mixed bag of doing one thing well and a little of something else that is likely insufficient.

For example, a stringed instrument/alt tuning processor; a poly synth processor, digital amp modeler and effects processor,...

these should be able to detect each other, create a single virtual signal chain with one Boss Tone Studio, and smart routing between each of the modules, or several independent signal chains that allow for moving different blocks to each chain.

Smart modular that can automatically accommodate whatever modules are connected

This will be achievable with the Eventide H9000 and a Cycfi Nu hex pickup. On an epic scale, based on what I've heard from insiders

Smash

Why?

Well who the hell did they consult for the SY300? Not only did they miss the target, they missed the field! I think the user group did pretty bloody well to be fair.

Market failure yes (their fault for poor marketing - admittedly a difficult sell) Product failure? No way. Easily the best technologically complete guitar box they - or anyone else - has ever built.

Sad thing is it's likely to remain that way - although I guess an ultra, ultra VPED type device could overturn it eventually.

Elantric

Quote from: Smash on October 26, 2017, 06:24:49 AM
Well who the hell did they consult for the SY300? Not only did they miss the target, they missed the field!

The whole point of the SY-300 was Guitar Synth for normal 1/4" Guitar - which it delivers - mixed results for some, or perfect tool for others.

I know a few who use a Variax or Guitar with Antares internal kit and wireless 1/4" ( Line-6 G10) into the SY-300 and AX-8 on the floor, and its a very versatile rig 

Myself and Thomas Nordegg were demoing essentially this same rig at 2015 LA Amp show

see far right

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Smash on October 26, 2017, 06:24:49 AM
Well who the hell did they consult for the SY300? Not only did they miss the target, they missed the field!

I agree !
But IMO its the best functioning and sounding guitar synth so far (apart from the non polyphony)
which is where they missed the field Completely , Utterly and ..".........".....
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Rhcole

Wonder how the SY-300 and GP-10 are selling. They are STILL available, which says something. Products that tank completely get pulled fast.
Maybe Roland figures that over time they get their numbers after all. Why not? The EHX HOG2 is slightly older and still available even though EHX has newer products with noticeably better tracking.

I had the original Digitech Space Station with the crazy sounds. It lasted maybe 2 years at the most in the marketplace and then became an all-time cult favorite. I think the SY may qualify for that someday.

admin

Quote from: Rhcole on October 26, 2017, 02:05:28 PM
Wonder how the SY-300 and GP-10 are selling. They are STILL available, which says something. Products that tank completely get pulled fast.
Maybe Roland figures that over time they get their numbers after all. Why not? The EHX HOG2 is slightly older and still available even though EHX has newer products with noticeably better tracking.

I had the original Digitech Space Station with the crazy sounds. It lasted maybe 2 years at the most in the marketplace and then became an all-time cult favorite. I think the SY may qualify for that someday.

Based upon new member responses, here are statistics

For every 10 new VGuitarforums members who respond with what gear they use :

* 7 state they use GR-55

* 2 state they use GP-10

* 1 states they use SY-300

only 1 out of 100 new members state they use VG-99 

I admit Im still surprised how popular the GR-55 remains 6 years after being introduced.