Serial connection type with Lowest Audio Latency

Started by Elantric, January 17, 2016, 04:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

FWIW - the new Focusrite Clarett series Audio interfaces use a "faster than USB 3.0 "  Thunderbolt connection to the computer  - for a specific reason

Lowest latency
http://us.focusrite.com/clarett-range 

But its not for windows  -(yet)
http://global.focusrite.com/downloads/os?product=Clarett+8PreX

My crystal ball predicts by 2018 we will see new USB-C Audio Interfaces from MOTU and RME, and Focusrite that have even lower latency 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8181551/thunderbolt-lightning-usb-type-c-new-macbook
For Thunderbolt and Lightning, USB-C is very, very frightening
The evolved, do-it-all USB spells trouble for Apple's proprietary connectors
By Vlad Savov  on March 10, 2015 09:05 am  Email @vladsavov

Share on Facebook (6,602)  Tweet  Share (91)  Pin (6)   
The new MacBook represents Apple's vision for "the future of the notebook." That future is defined by thinness, lightness, and an almost total abandonment of external connectivity ports. Other than the mandatory headphone jack, there's just one port available on the MacBook: a USB Type-C connection that takes care of power, data transfers, and display output. Here's how Apple explains its choice of connector:

"As long as we were going to include a port for charging the new MacBook, we wanted to make sure it was the most advanced and versatile one available."
There was once a time when Apple saw the connected future built around a pair of boldly titled interconnects: Thunderbolt for laptops and desktop computers, and Lightning for its mobile iOS devices. But the company's pursuit of a completely wireless laptop now bodes poorly for the future of Thunderbolt and even casts some doubt over the long-term prospects of Lightning.

Co-developed by Intel and Apple and introduced in the 2011 MacBook Pro, Thunderbolt promised to be the thing that made us leave USB behind. In simple terms, Thunderbolt is a much fatter and faster pipe for data transfers than USB, and it makes it possible to connect big storage arrays and high-resolution displays to your MacBook. Some four years after its introduction, however, Thunderbolt is still narrowly focused on high-end applications and hasn't been adopted or aggressively promoted by many PC makers beyond Apple.

THE FUTURE IS EASY AND CONVENIENT LIKE USB, NOT SUPERPOWERED LIKE THUNDERBOLT

USB 3.1 with the smaller, reversible USB Type-C usurps the entire purpose of Thunderbolt cables for regular consumers. It lets you plug in your external hard drives — which make up the vast majority of the 50 Thunderbolt products on Apple's online store — and pushes video out to external displays. Type-C is easier to use than Thunderbolt and appears to be cheaper to implement, making it a no-brainer upgrade. Simple, less expensive, and still fast.

Apple is stridently asserting the new MacBook as its best MacBook ever, and its choice of interconnect is telling. The future, at least for mainstream consumers, is easy and convenient like USB instead of superpowered but expensive like Thunderbolt. The established high-end connector isn't going away immediately, as Apple used yesterday's event to also announce Thunderbolt 2 upgrades for the MacBook Air and Pro, but it will be swimming upstream to remain relevant in the face of an oncoming deluge of Type-C peripherals and devices.

The ubiquity of USB has already assisted in the demise of one Apple-led interconnect, FireWire, whose downfall began in similar fashion to today. FireWire was first phased out in 2008 in Apple's consumer laptops — which is exactly what the new MacBook is — and then disappeared from the Pro lineup within four years. Coincidentally, it was Thunderbolt that stepped into FireWire's place as the solution for high-speed connection needs.

Fat Thunderbolt connectors will never be used to connect or charge your phone, but that's what the new USB cable can do, and mobile devices like the Nokia N1 tablet are already adopting it. I suspect we'll see USB-C embraced widely and quickly, with it serving to replace Micro USB cables for phones and simplifying many people's lives.

WHO NEEDS LIGHTNING WHEN THE NEW USB CONNECTOR IS JUST AS GOOD?

That leaves Apple's Lightning connector for mobile devices as a big fat question mark. Lightning was a great upgrade over Apple's previous 30-pin connector, but its symmetrical design and ability to both power a device and transfer data from it are now duplicated by USB Type-C. From a user's perspective, there's little reason to want Lightning over Type-C. The former is an Apple-only standard, whereas the latter is destined to become the universal method for connecting anything to everything.

Philips (now owned by Gibson's Henry Juszkiewicz) has been first to use Lightning for the unconventional purpose of connecting headphones to your iPhone. First and, so far, last. It's a little surprising not to see greater enthusiasm for a wider range of Lightning peripherals, but then the licensing costs associated with it are probably substantial enough to curtail experimentation. Accessory companies seem to be focusing on making the popular types of peripherals that will recoup their licensing fees. It's those same licensing revenues that Apple enjoys that lead me to doubt it would want to ever mess with its Lightning connector. Plus, Lightning is a tiny bit thinner than Type-C, which actually matters in mobile devices that are starting to struggle to fit the headphone jack.

THE ROAD TO COMPLETE WIRELESS FREEDOM IS PAVED WITH USB CONNECTORS

Even if it would make the world a better place by harmonizing all mobile devices around a single cable standard, replacing Lightning with USB Type-C appears unlikely. There's no reason why Lightning and USB Type-C can't coexist: Apple just needs to put one connector on either side of the cable (and probably bundle that cable in its next iPhone's box). The newly detailed Apple Watch also shows that the company isn't quite ready to fully commit to Type-C for all its wired needs. In spite of representing the latest in Apple's technology, the Watch uses a full-size USB plug for its charging cradle, making it slightly less futuristic but a lot more widely compatible.

Wireless everything is evidently Apple's overarching objective. The bridge to getting us there, on the evidence of the new MacBook, will be USB Type-C. The Thunderbolt's rumble has been quietened, and the Lightning's shine has been dulled. The omnipresent USB port looks set to retain its title as the world's favorite connector, only in a slimmer, prettier, and easier shape.

--

Thunderbolt has already gone through version 1 and faster version 2  - There remain very few Windows PCs that have Thunderbolt ports ( HP and Asus high end models do)  - but the big hurdle is  Thunderbolt audio interfaces with Thunderbolt drivers for Windows remain rare.

I would not invest too heavily in Thunderbolt - since the new "USB C" standard is growing strength -

I imagine by 2019,  "USB C " will be desired audio interface for  Windows PC and Mac

Not every new 2015 Windows PC's with only USB 3.0 ports can work with the USB Audio interfaces  - without random pops and crackles  - or simply not work at all.   
(Read our Audio Interface area) 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=193.0

Windows PC USB 3.0 compatible chipsets for Audio Interfaces
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8562.0

In 2016 USB 2.0 Ports are history on most new computers ,  its time to google search your Computer Model number and specific USB Audio Interface model  to find if  its works or if  there will be problems.

Luckily my 2015  Asus Q551LN laptop with only USB 3.0 ports works fine with my USB audio interfaces designed for USB 2.0  - but some machines are not capable and will have problems for any pro audio use.

Its an era of transition for sure.
--

http://www.geckoandfly.com/10123/usb-3-0-vs-thunderbolt-transfer-speed-comparison/

02 – Advantage of USB Type-C

Entirely new design tailored for emerging product design including Apple laptops.
New smaller size with reversible plug and orientation cable.
Supports scale-able power charging.
Designed to establish future USB performance needs.

Elantric

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/975864-windows-10-thread-post-your-expectations-here-8.html

Pete Brown wrote>
QuoteWe're looking into this for certain. I can't say if/when it'll be put in the platform, but we plan to have deeper conversations with ThunderBolt partners soon.

Also, I know Intel is already working on an updated ThunderBolt that is even faster. It's a never ending arms race.

Personal, not Microsoft, opinion follows:

I'm a bit concerned about  ThunderBolt adoption and whether or not it will have longevity. It's an expensive cable, a relatively large connector (thickness wise), and a proprietary solution that has to be licensed. It's not an open standard. The expense of controllers and connectors means that almost no devices bother to support daisy chaining. End result is that most people with more than one or two ThunderBolt devices have to buy expensive hubs.

It's also an Intel solution that is very PC-centric, so it cuts out mobile/ARM devices, which are increasingly popular for music making. At some point, I assume we'll hear folks asking why they can't use a  ThunderBolt device with their iPad. It's not really as simple as implementing the connector and the driver. The entire architecture is very Intel-specific.

Project BBQ think tanks looking at future audio connectors for devices have discarded ThunderBolt because of size and its proprietary nature and expense. Instead, they recommend pursuing USB 3.1/C

For pro shops and studios, it seems to me that IEEE 802.1 AVB could be a better solution.

End personal opinion 

Pete

PROJECT BBQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17820.msg127001#msg127001

http://www.projectbarbq.com/reports-4/

Elantric

http://www.studiocare.com/blog/uad-thunderbolt-interfaces-now-compatible-with-windows-10-systems/
Universal Audio have announced that following the release of their updated v9.0 UAD software, their Thunderbolt equipped interfaces are now compatible with Windows 10 machines that features a USB-C port. This is achieved using a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, connecting to the USB-C port on the Windows 10 machine.

UA Apollo 8 Quad

All Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products, including Apollo 16 and Apollo 16 MKII, as well as Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin Thunderbolt, UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt and first-generation silver Apollo models supplied with a Thunderbolt Option Card now have Thunderbolt compatibility with Windows 10. This also allows current PC-based Apollo and Apollo 16 FireWire users to upgrade their systems to Thunderbolt speed and stability with UA's Thunderbolt Option Card.

USB-C

UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility Requirements
A Windows 10 PC computer featuring built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C is required.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit edition (version 1607 or higher) is required. Earlier versions of Windows are not tested or supported.
A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (not included) is required to connect Universal Audio Thunderbolt products to the USB-C port on the computer.
PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters, Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters, and Thunderbolt hubs are not tested or supported and may cause unexpected behaviour.
Connections to Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 computer ports are not tested or supported.
Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows on Mac computers with Apollo or UAD-2 devices is not tested or supported.
Apollo Thunderbolt models can be combined with UAD-2 PCIe cards and UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt, FireWire, and USB models).
Both the original Thunderbolt 1 Option Card and the newer Thunderbolt 2 Option Card for Apollo are compatible.
Apollo Thunderbolt cannot be combined with Apollo FireWire or Apollo Twin USB (multiple Apollo connection types are incompatible).
Connecting more than one Apollo unit via Thunderbolt is currently incompatible. This feature will be available in a future software release.
Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapters
The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt:

(Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product).

• Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)
• Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-BK6I)

Qualified Adapter Notes

The qualified Thunderbolt 3 adapters are compatible with connections to external Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices.

Note: Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (Product ID: MMEL2AM/A) has been found to be incompatible with certain Windows systems in internal testing. As a result, it is not recommended to use this adapter for Windows Thunderbolt systems.
The Apple adapter is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer's USB-C port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter.
Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers
The following Windows 10 PC computers that feature Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt:

(Note: The systems below are compatible with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products as of November 3, 2016 - future compatibility cannot be guaranteed).

Notebook Systems:

Dell XPS 12
Dell XPS 15 9550
Dell Alienware R17
HP ZBook G3
Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition
Desktop Systems:

Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK)
Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
General System Notes

A Quad Core i7 or better processor is recommended for optimum performance.
2016 and later systems that have a 6th-generation Intel Skylake processor (or greater), and a built-in Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) controller with a USB-C port, combined with a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, are expected to be compatible.
Thunderbolt 3 products listed on Intel's Thunderbolt Technology Community page are expected to be compatible.

admin

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69598&p=643952&hilit=#p641515

Thunderbolt 2 goes the way of firewire
Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:30 pm

So my MBP having only USB3 ports, always needs a cable or hub to attach anything except USB3 things. I Have a very reliable MOTU firewire interface and I have been using a Thunderbolt to firewire adapter on my old MBP. On the new one cannot find a hub with Thunderbolt (2) because it's obsolete. Luckily I found a USB3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, which I'm hoping to plug a thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter into. The USB 3 to Thunderbolt 2 cable was 40 quid and fifty pence, I forget how much the Thunderbolt 2 to firewire cable was.

So thats USB 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire. It may not even work, but I'll find out.

I suspect many Apple users will be a little miffed if they have to chuck out their thunderbolt 2 gear, so soon after chucking out their firewire gear.

Here's another little strangeness. I was running Reason 11 on the 2018 MB last night and all was well. Then I needed to run Apogee Maestro 2 (just freshly downloaded) and in the middle of successfully using Quartet to run Reason 11, Maestro calmly reports that there is no Apogee Quartet attached. No? you mean apart from the one that's running flawlessly?

For goodness sake, what is going on at Apple.

admin

And Firewire has not been supported on macOS since 2014

and was always "iffy" on Windows

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046103-Finding-a-PC-laptop-to-use-with-your-firewire-audio-interface
Finding a PC laptop to use with your firewire audio interface
PC Laptops with Firewire
The most important consideration when using a firewire audio interface is the firewire chipset of your firewire connection. You'll find that this is generally a requirement of any manufacturer of any firewire audio interface. Different firewire chipsets handle data differently, and some are better suited to the requirements of streaming multi-channel real-time audio.

While Macs with built-in firewire ports do use a supported firewire chipset, finding a PC laptop with built-in firewire can be difficult, and even then, most PC laptops with built-in firewire use a firewire chipset that is incompatible. Because of this unfortunate fact, the main requirement then becomes that the laptop has the ability to add a firewire connection which uses a supported chipset.

You may be able to find Firewire to USB adapters, and they may work for connecting external hard drives or cameras and other peripherals, but generally speaking, they will not work for audio interfaces. The primary, and for the most part only way to add a supported firewire connection to a laptop is with a firewire expresscard adapter. In most cases, to find a laptop with an expresscard expansion slot, you'll need to look at the "Business" class laptops from the major manufacturers. Check out the tech specs for each model to make sure though.

(Updated April 7, 2015)

PC Audio Labs has created a model specifically for audio recording that features a compatible onboard 1394 port:

Rok Box MC Mobile 7 FW - http://pcaudiolabs.com/rok-box-mc-mobile-7-fw/

Sager ( a company known for creating desktop replacements in a portable solution)

Sager NP8278 - http://www.sagernotebook.com/Workstation-NP8278.html

Sager NP8268 - http://www.sagernotebook.com/Workstation-Notebook-NP8268.html

Sager NP8258 - http://www.sagernotebook.com/Workstation-NP8258.html

If your laptop doesn't have an ExpressCard slot or built-in FireWire port, then you would not be able to use that computer with a FireWire device. Below is an image of both an ExpressCard port and 34-millimeter ExpressCard adapter:

3335.jpg

For more information on the ExpressCard standard, check out this article.

PC Laptops With Expresscard Slots
Anything with an expresscard slot has good chance of working, but even with an expresscard slot there's still a possibility for other problems or incompatibilities related to PC Laptop hardware, Windows hardware enumeration and communication, misbehaving device drivers, or other issues with the Windows Operating System. It's highly recommended that you do some research in various audio recording forums for suggestions on what PC's people are having success with.

The following laptops are ones that have expresscard slots so that you can add a supported firewire expresscard adapter, allowing you to connect a firewire audio interface.

NOTE: These are NOT recommended systems tested and certified by Presonus. They are merely laptops that have the potential to work for this purpose, but again, there are no guarantees that any of these particular models will work well as an audio workstation.

Dell's Vostro 3560, and most of the current and former Latitude line and Precision line has expresscard slots

Vostro 3560:

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/vostro-3560/pd

Latitude line (all 8 current standard models. Excludes Tablet and Ultrabook models):

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-laptops

Precision line (all 4 current models):

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-laptops

NOTE: The Precision M4700/6700 built in firewire may even have a compatible chipset

---

Most of HP's Elitebook Line has expresscard slots (all but the 2170 and the 9470 Folio model), and all "b" series HP Probooks have them:

http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/prodserv/laptops.html

---

Many of Lenovo's Thinkpad line comes with expresscard slots, specifically the T series (except the T430u), L Series, and the Thinkpad W530:

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/?mobile=no

---

Sager actually makes a "Mobile Workstation" which has a compatible FW800 with a TI Chipset built in. It's much larger and bulkier than a regular laptop, but it's a very powerful system. Basically a portable desktop:

DeskNote NP9570: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9570

---

You can find them from other manufacturers as well:

Toshiba Tecra line, various models (34mm slot): http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptop-family.jsp?family=Tecra
R940-S9421, R940-S9430, R940-S9431, R940-S9441, R950-S9521, R950-S9541

Toshiba Portege line, various models (54mm slot): http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptop-family.jsp?family=Portege
R930-S9321, R930-S9331

ASUSPRO ADVANCED B53S: http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Business/ASUSPRO_ADVANCED_B53S/#specifications

ASUSPRO ADVANCED B43S: http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Business/ASUSPRO_ADVANCED_B43S/#specifications

ASUSPRO ADVANCED B23E: http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Business/ASUSPRO_ADVANCED_B23E/#specifications

ASUS N71jq: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N71Jq/

Acer Travelmate TMP453-M-6425: http://www.provantage.com/acer-nx-v6zaa-002~7ACEN1J3.htm

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK® AH532: http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lifebook-ah532-notebook#wf_productinfo

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK® NH532: http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lifebook-nh532-notebook#wf_productinfo

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK® S752: http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lifebook-s752-notebook#wf_productinfo

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK® S762: http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lifebook-s762-notebook#wf_productinfo

Expresscards with Supported Firewire Chipsets
Here is a link to our hardware compatibility document to use as a guide:

http://www.presonus.com/uploads/products/media/files/Approved_FireWire_Cards.pdf

Here are a few expresscards on our Approved Firewire Cards list from different retailers. Make sure you get the right size card for your expresscard slot (34mm or 54mm):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839328031&Tpk=SD-EXP30012

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=SD-EXP30012&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3ASD-EXP30012

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=EC13942

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839328006

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=SD-EXPC34-2F

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839104015

http://www.amazon.com/2PORT-Firewire-EXPRESSCARD34-10-5-Windows/dp/B000X4PM9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363014224&sr=8-1&keywords=FW800-E34

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158012

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=EC1394B2+&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3AEC1394B2+

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=NN-EC2012-S2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANN-EC2012-S2

---

Most of these are Expresscard 34mm cards, but they will work fine in a 54mm slot, so if your laptop has Expresscard 54, you may find a stabilizer like these helpful:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158041

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ExpressCard-34mm-Stabilizer-Adapter/dp/B002GHTIRQ

---

Some older laptops may have PCMCIA slots (the predecessor to expresscard) which you may be able to find compatible firewire cards for as well. If you have the older PCMCIA slot, here's a few cards that should be compatible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839150011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839314003

When researching just make sure to check tech specs on any laptop to see if it has one of these slots (preferably expresscard), and check firewire cards for compatible chipset (preferably a TI chipset from the list). Again, chipset is key, so be sure to double check as manufacturers sometimes change the chipsets they use.

Was this article helpful?

Elantric

Quote from: admin on January 15, 2020, 06:24:09 PMhttps://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69598&p=643952&hilit=#p641515

Thunderbolt 2 goes the way of firewire
Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:30 pm

So my MBP having only USB3 ports, always needs a cable or hub to attach anything except USB3 things. I Have a very reliable MOTU firewire interface and I have been using a Thunderbolt to firewire adapter on my old MBP. On the new one cannot find a hub with Thunderbolt (2) because it's obsolete. Luckily I found a USB3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, which I'm hoping to plug a thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter into. The USB 3 to Thunderbolt 2 cable was 40 quid and fifty pence, I forget how much the Thunderbolt 2 to firewire cable was.

So thats USB 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire. It may not even work, but I'll find out.

I suspect many Apple users will be a little miffed if they have to chuck out their thunderbolt 2 gear, so soon after chucking out their firewire gear.

Here's another little strangeness. I was running Reason 11 on the 2018 MB last night and all was well. Then I needed to run Apogee Maestro 2 (just freshly downloaded) and in the middle of successfully using Quartet to run Reason 11, Maestro calmly reports that there is no Apogee Quartet attached. No? you mean apart from the one that's running flawlessly?

For goodness sake, what is going on at Apple.

Fwiw, RME Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces have essentially been orphaned.

RME no longer makes Thunderbolt Audio interfaces because the Intel Thunderbolt tranciever IC was discontinued in 2019

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=192364#p192364

And support for Firewire Interfaces ceased a decade ago

RME Support wrote ( may 2022)

QuoteThe UFX+ can no longer be manufactured because Intel ended the production of the required TB chips long ago. We used our stock to continue building UFX+, but stock is gone now.

To answer an expected next question: We were ready to change to a newer chip with Thunderbolt 3 support (fully developed new digital board), but Intel delayed its shipment (chip crisis) for a long time. Then when the chip was expected to be shipped Intel declared it EOL (end of life). Beginning a production using this chip made no sense anymore.

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: Elantric on November 19, 2023, 09:37:52 AMFwiw, Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces have essentially been orphaned.

RME no longer makes Thunderbolt Audio interfaces because the Intel Thunderbolt tranciever IC was discontinued in 2019

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=192364#p192364

And support for Firewire Interfaces ceased a decade ago

RME Support wrote ( may 2022)

Thunderbolt is not orphaned.

Thunderbolt 1/2 is orphaned, but major companies are releasing more and more TB3/4 interfaces. Look at the brands like Antelope, UAD, Apogee and many others.

Only RME is still stuck on USB even because they are PC-centric brand.

And yes, TB2 works perfectly with the official TB2->TB3 adapter.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

2pods

Zombie thread alert.

I use a Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 on a PC with a Titan Ridge card.
Works very well, as does my Scan laptop
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

Elantric