GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO bugs/errors/issues

Started by jwhitcomb3, April 07, 2016, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

That may be why I've never experienced problems.  My usage pattern is exactly the same.  I've never used the librarian function.

slooky

The latest correspondence from Roland

Hello,

Our software engineers confirmed the problem that you are experiencing with the GP-10 BOSS Tone Studio and are working on a solution. An exact date is not available for when this will be resolved. We are looking into getting the original version of the BOSS Tone Studio for you to download until a new version is available.

Thank you for your patience.
Tony H. - Roland Support Agent
Roland Canada Ltd.

admin

Thanks for posting the news and finally getting a response from Roland Corp.

slooky

My response to Tony H-- Roland Support Agent

Thank you Tony H it is much appreciated

By the way, since I wasn't the only one having trouble, some people in the United states contacted Roland and got no response. The bugs have been there since it was first released, while I didn't use the Boss Tone Studio for awhile I didn't realize their was a problem. These people contacted Roland(USofA) back when the buggy software was first released. It seems only Roland Tribes in Canada is listening. Not good for retaining customers. Customer support is the backbone of any business. It has the ability to make or break a customer's experience and, therefore, impacts your company's bottom line in many ways.

Elantric

Finally a refreshing Roland / Boss User experience:

Thanks to Autana for the detailed bug report
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17889.msg131157#msg131157

- I made an inquiry to Roland / Boss Tribes in Canada and they have approved my post and supplied a reply that matches Slooky's experience with Roland/ Boss "Tribes" Canada Forum

https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/entries/111313746

https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/entries/108357673-BOSS-GP-10-parameters-incorrectly-restored-by-Tone-Studio-librarian

( . )( . )

I really hope they fix this. Most of my patches involve multiple assignments/amps/guitars each, and it's really freaking annoying when they "revert" or whatever. I have managed to usually get them to behave properly, but it involves sometimes completely abandoning a Controller assignment and using another one, or sometimes reloading the original patch from the librarian before I modified it and redoing all the changes.

Any of us who have this issue should chime in on the Canada site, and let them know that it's really a problem.

admin

QuoteAny of us who have this issue should chime in on the Canada site, and let them know that it's really a problem.

Buts its a sad joke - only Canadians can join and post there
https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/forums/21240743-BOSS-GUITAR/entries/search?utf8=✓&query=GP-10&for_search=1&commit=Search

And even if 100 disgruntled Canadian Boss GP-10 users post there to Roland Tribes forum, know that most will never get approved by the Moderator there.   

( . )( . )

^ - Well I just tried to post something...maybe they'll accept me:

To prevent unwanted messages in the community, your comment is pending review by a moderator. When it is approved, it will be published.

admin

Quoteost by Chameleon
^ - Well I just tried to post something...maybe they'll accept me:

To prevent unwanted messages in the community, your comment is pending review by a moderator. When it is approved, it will be published.

Good luck!

But I doubt we see any resolution until 2017  - as Roland Japan is too distracted with the "new improved" 9/9/2016 product releases to care about yesterdays news.

Hopefully the Roland  / Boss Canada Guitar product manager is made aware of this situation and can contact Roland Japan and they respond with a solution 

Official acknowledgement of these BTS for GP-10 bugs from Roland Japan is the only source that counts.

( . )( . )

^ Lol -

it's pretty pathetic when an entire community as large as this forum can't even get a response from the company that it's dedicated to supporting...

Elantric

I contacted Gary Lenaire in June regarding this - but he's moved on to work at Fishman now
http://www.rolandus.com/blog/author/gary-lenaire/
And I contacted Gundy Keller - but he's just an outside contractor for convention demos now  - no longer employed by Roland Germany

Tends to happen to most "bug reporting messengers" at many company's 

it's pretty pathetic when an entire community as large as this forum can't even get a response from the company that it's dedicated to supporting...

We are invisible , only viewed as a renegade bunch twiddling our thumbs , and they view me as  "a has-been musician with unmet needs seeking validation on a forum"

Know that most companies view forums as useless egofests (as most are) - not worth one second of company time.

( . )( . )

Quote from: Elantric on August 28, 2016, 09:53:09 AM
"a has-been musician with unmet needs seeking validation on a forum"

I hope they didn't actually say this to you...

Elantric

Actions speak louder than words

spent the past 8 years trying to get Roland  /  Boss to participate here

but they are not interested.

I do know we have some current and former Roland / Boss Employees as VGuitarforums members  - but they lurk and seldom post 
Some risk their job if they did
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17706.msg135461#msg135461

We are not alone in that regard
http://zoomforum.us

Elantric

QuoteI really hope they fix this. Most of my patches involve multiple assignments/amps/guitars each, and it's really freaking annoying when they "revert" or whatever. I have managed to usually get them to behave properly, but it involves sometimes completely abandoning a Controller assignment and using another one, or sometimes reloading the original patch from the librarian before I modified it and redoing all the changes.

My solution is ignore BTS and just copy  / move patches around in the order I need using the GP-10 LCD and navigation buttons and built in PATCH Exchange, Patch INSERT  functions - no USB connection to BTS required for that.

aliensporebomb

In the case of Roland, remember they are first and foremost Japanese and after studying Japanese culture things there are somewhat regimented and segmented.

It starts in school where you basically accompany your class from the first year of school until you graduate.  You stay with the same group of kids until the end.  This is why so many anime stories involve an outsider coming into a school situation due to a parents job move and shaking up and changing a group with already established social pecking orders.  It's interesting to see an outsider shake things up - but not in real life! 

It goes on to university and later your job where you work and socialize with your department but not others much as it's just not done very much. 
I've talked about it before.

In the case of Roland, I believe they see online forums are actually a way to circumvent and bypass well established paths of contact to a company not realizing this "new technology" is actually a benefit to them. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

In essence we are shunned by Roland due to being perceived as outsider " loose canons"

( . )( . )

Aren't there Japanese GP-10 users experiencing the same problems? I'd assume the software is the same, other than the language...

Elantric

I suspect the GP-10 is not a big sales success

Based upon new member submissions the GR-55 is selling much better 4:1

My local Boss dealer and all employees there never heard of GP-10 and has no interest in selling GP-10 , as he still thinks all GK guitars are MIDI Guitars ( and useless toys)

Same dealer had one VG-8 that never sold and collected dust for years before he sold it on eBay , because zero in store customers were interrested in it , while he sold plenty of Victoria tweed Tube Amps at $2500.

Maybe if Roland makes a Vintage Tone Tweed VG " that looks like a small 1959 Strat tweed guitar case , with white chicken head knobs they would penetrate the guitar market today.

( . )( . )

Quote from: Elantric on August 28, 2016, 11:25:40 AM
I suspect the GP-10 is not a big sales success

Such a shame...you realty can't beat what it can do, especially for the price.

Elantric

I agree

But in general it boils down to the poor English marketing efforts of the GK 13 pin cable , which has never changed since 1989 , but since it was only used exclusively for Guitar to MIDI Systems for 7 years until the the 1995 Roland VG-8 DSP Guitar/Amp modeler product , 99% of the world shuns these GK systems as high latency path to make your guitar sound like a trumpet.

Most guitarists are too busy trying to sound like SRV or John Petrucci and think using his tools are the only path to get that sound , while the VG-99 is viewed as a renegade prop from a Star Trek movie

And they flat can not understand the GP-10

It's a disgrace that the GP-10 is never presented at trade shows in USA. The Boss DD-500 gets all the floor space and demo time at any trade show I visit

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on August 24, 2016, 12:56:59 PM
Thanks to Autana for the detailed bug report
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17889.msg131157#msg131157

I am glad to contribute, the truth myself go desperate for the amount of patches lost until I realized the bug failure on BTS while making NyRAC and others.
BTW, thanks for post it in the Roland Tribes forum, I just post it a few moments ago in a similar thread, unity is strength.
https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/entries/111160666-Boss-Tone-Studio-GP-10
By the way, despite not being Canadian, I had no problem to sign there two years ago, not use to post so much however.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

slooky

Quote from: Elantric on August 28, 2016, 11:56:05 AM
I

And they flat can not understand the GP-10

Nor do they want to

I talked to 2 guitarists about the Gp-10. I told them how you can make your guitar sound like a bass, electric,acoustic, nylon,synth,,how you can change the pitch, different tunings among other things along with numerous effects. I told them to watch a video of the Gp10, This was one response "I have a digitech whammy pedal and I can change the tunings of my guitar. The other one said, I just buy guitars, each guitar has its own unique sound so the gp 10 would be of no use to me.
I just shake my head!

Elantric

QuoteI talked to 2 guitarists about the Gp-10. I told them how you can make your guitar sound like a bass, electric,acoustic, nylon,synth,,how you can change the pitch, different tunings among other things along with numerous effects. I told them to watch a video of the Gp10, This was one response "I have a digitech whammy pedal and I can change the tunings of my guitar. The other one said, I just buy guitars, each guitar has its own unique sound so the gp 10 would be of no use to me.
I just shake my head!

Echos my own conversations with typical guitarists

whippinpost91850

Mine  too. They would rather haul around half a dozen or more guitars tuned differently and/ or for different sounds. Not me I want to travel as light as I can

Elantric