GP-10 - Nylon Real Acoustic Collection

Started by Autana, March 24, 2016, 06:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autana

Quote from: tomtheguitarguy on June 30, 2016, 08:43:45 AM
Where did you get the backing tracks from?  Name of songs?  Thanks!

Hi Tom, thanks for your kind words, I am glad you like it, great it was a point to decide for GP-10! a really cool box. And please also you would try the patches and packs created and shared by other forum members for GP-10, indeed you will figure out of really amazing sounds there!  here just some examples: 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18318.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12703.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17981.0

Aside of the ones I make myself,  the backing tracks sources for the demo video you can get at:  http://bobbysbackingtracks.com/  excellent production of repertoire in many styles with strong influence on jazz, smooth jazz, blues, contemporary jazzy pop, etc, and produced/recorded with real musicians.

The flamenco backing tracks come from : Abdobicas,  http://worldmusictracks.com/index.php/rumba-guitar-backing-tracks.html.

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

Quote from: gumtown on June 30, 2016, 03:23:39 PM
Nice playing !!  :)

Gracias so much!  8)   BTW,  I'm just in the last details of NyRAC version for GR-55, your Floorboard being a BIG help a lot more than the GP-10 "BUG" Tone Studio did..THANKS!!
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Piing

¡Muchas gracias por compartir los presets, Autana!

Impressive tone and playing!

I am receiving my GP-10 today, and this is going to be the first user-patch that I am going to play.

Thank you!

b_mol

tuneman55

pifpafpouf

hello every body , i am a new member and want to ask how can i download those fabulous patches? i can t see any download icon or link , or am i blind  ;D ?  thank you

Elantric

The *.tsl files attached at bottom of the 1st post can be imported into Boss Tone Studio

See pic below

pifpafpouf

Steve-cc

I tried this live set of patches last night and really like them. Thanks!

Lee evzy

This is brilliant. Just what I'm after. I could just do with an idiots guide to getting these nylon string sounds onto my gr55 if anyone would be kind enough to assist me please? Only just joined this forum and it's fantastic. 👍🏻

Autana

Quote from: Lee evzy on December 31, 2016, 01:13:10 PM
This is brilliant. Just what I'm after. I could just do with an idiots guide to getting these nylon string sounds onto my gr55 if anyone would be kind enough to assist me please? Only just joined this forum and it's fantastic. 👍🏻

UPDATE AT 12/31/2016
I added here https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19382.msg142452#msg142452
some new NyRAC Nylon Real Acoustic Collection patches for Roland GR-55.
Check specially NYLON+STRING 2 & 3, (CTL hold PCM Strings)
More is coming in 2017 :)

Enjoy. Happy New Year for everyone!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19382.msg142452#msg142452

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

jorelprime

Thank you for the hard work you've put into making these patches, to be honest this video example was one of the reasons I've bought the GP-10 with the GK-3 pickup - and the much praised acoustic modeling in general. Unfortunately it sounds nothing like in the demo video on my end. If anything it sounds more like the short example at the start. Like a clean electric/ukulele...something :( And the A and D strings have a strange ''quack'' to them. Pretty sure I've set everything up correctly so I don't know why I have such poor results but it's nothing like I've expected.
Unless I find out I'm doing something wrong, the gp-10 is going back. But thank you anyway, if nothing else it's great to listen to you play and obviously others get better results than me.  ???

admin

the differences in tone are due to the OP's (Autana) use of a Godin xtSA with RMC piezo pickups when making these Boss GP-10 Nylon Real Acoustic Collection patches and MP3 demos recordings
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17683.msg126221#msg126221

We know there are sonic differences between a GK-3 and Piezo Hex PU

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5043.0

Smash

Quote from: jorelprime on March 02, 2017, 12:26:12 PM
Thank you for the hard work you've put into making these patches, to be honest this video example was one of the reasons I've bought the GP-10 with the GK-3 pickup - and the much praised acoustic modeling in general. Unfortunately it sounds nothing like in the demo video on my end. If anything it sounds more like the short example at the start. Like a clean electric/ukulele...something :( And the A and D strings have a strange ''quack'' to them. Pretty sure I've set everything up correctly so I don't know why I have such poor results but it's nothing like I've expected.
Unless I find out I'm doing something wrong, the gp-10 is going back. But thank you anyway, if nothing else it's great to listen to you play and obviously others get better results than me.  ???

I'd say must be set up issue as I ported the patches over to VG99 matching all settings and achieved the same tone with my GK3 equipped Ibanez - have a look in the VG99 patches section to hear the demos remembering the are gk3 driven

jorelprime

Thanks for the replies, yeah I don't know maybe it is a set up issue but the only thing it can be is perhaps the string height at the lowest strings (they are quite low but do not touch the pickup - and my action is high but I have a 9.5 inch radius strat and could only fit the gk-3 by gluing it to the pickguard  ::) ) but the highest are fine but still sound poor compared to the samples. I guess I should have taken the different guitar into consideration.
Also, the tracking and latency on GR300 patches is quite poor, (all of them) but on some synth patches (like the ones shared here) it's perfect. Like I said, probably will create a topic about my issues but I was silly anyway to think anything could actually replace, you know, an actual acoustic guitar. Was hoping this could provide me with an on stage setup to switch sound mid-song without switching guitars. Looks like not.

chrish

Quote ''but I was silly anyway to think anything could actually replace, you know, an actual acoustic guitar. Was hoping this could provide me with an on stage setup to switch sound mid-song without switching guitars. Looks like not.''
unquote

those godin guitars with the bridge piezo pickups will by themselves convey a sense of an acoustic quality.

for the band  that i  played with, i used a washburn jazz guitar (oval soundhole) with a piezo pickup and one neck position mag pup.

we had to switch between a jazz tune like 'stolen moments' and an acoustic sound for a  tune like 'mediterranean sundance' so that pickup system worked well for that. I had a gk2 also mounted on that guitar and for the acoustic stuff, along with the piezo, i would add a hint of a vg8 acoustic model.

so it is possible to acheive electric and acoustic tones from one guitar. And, imo, the acoustic models from the vg99 and gp10 are light years ahead of the vg8. 

it just takes some time to dial it in.

jorelprime

Quote from:  sec6
If you can't get great acoustic tones out of the GP-10 then I would say it is not the fault of the device. Are you going through a guitar amp?  If so, there is the problem. You need a FRFR system. Try a nice set of headphones, and experience wonderful acoustic sounds. There are thousands of people on this forum that use the VG99, GP10, and ATG-1 for acoustic sounds and don't find it silly at all.

Well I only got the device today and tried all of the patches from this pack and none of them work for me. I created a short two minute test with usb direct to reaper. Excuse the bad playing, I did play around the D string a bit since it's giving me a weird quack. I was using the aux in of Boss Katana 50 and also tried the acoustic channel on it. I also played through my studio monitoring headphones and it was better yes but not by a whole lot. I'm also pretty sure the set up is correct (as I will describe in a seperate topic) so, well, I guess I'm not one of those thousands. Don't know how much I can experiment myself, even the factory Nylon preset sounds more like a clean electric. For example, not even close as good as in the YT video by WayneJones where he demos the patches. But don't know what guitar he is using.

Anyway, here is the test: https://soundcloud.com/roger-fedex/acousticdemo

I started with the NylonFlamenco and then switched through a few presets. Again, sorry for the playing but it should serve as a demonstration.

Elantric

Quote. I was using the aux in of Boss Katana 50 and also tried the acoustic channel on it.

FWIW - a Katana will not be ideal for Synth use

While it claims to have a Acoustic Amp Model setting for acoustic guitars, its far from being a Full Range Flat response Amplification system, required for best results with GP-10 

Instead audition the GP-10 patches with quality Studio headphones ( ATH-M50X) connected directly to GP-10 headphone output
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

Autana

Quote from: jorelprime on March 02, 2017, 12:26:12 PM

Thank you, Jorelprime. I am sorry you get some problems, but please do not give up.  While I design the patches of NyRac starting from a Godin xtSA (RMC piezo) also test it extensively on a guitar equipped with GK-3, and in the video there are demos with both guitars. , as everyone has said it is important to consider the best possible configuration, sometimes it is not so easy, but in the end the rewards are worth it.
I have a Godin MultiAc SA, which I use for very high ends recordings, but also many times when I need to go reduced and practical for gigs, I used my GP-10 with NyRAC to replace the real nylon guitar,  with excellent and total success, the WOW factor is inevitable when the audience noted an electric guitar sounding like a Spanish guitar!  Especially the musicians and guitar players in the audience. Sometimes people even accuse me of having backing tracks with the prerecorded nylon guitar @LOL . The material performed has been from Spanish pop, flamenco, jazz, acoustic Latin, smooth jazz and so, at November 2016  I played Spain from Chick Corea and Mediterranean Sundance in an music school,  it was funny the students were more focused on ask about my "nylonized electric guitar than my performance... oops 

Regarding your problem, I noticed that in addition to the GP-10 sensitivity, height (Gk-3 Hex pups height must be 1 mm gap between GK3 top and bottom of the strings) and distance settings of the GK-3, other factors affect, for example, my PRS BM, which is based on a Les Paul, has no problem with the GK-3 and patches, but on my Gibson LPJ also with GK-3, there's the same problem as yours. I think it has to do with the vibrational frequencies characteristics from each string/guitar type, also guitar bridges made of different materials, the woods and body resonance on each guitar. Even the strings types used, there are brighter and darker strings (reliant on materials) I recently did an experiment using flatwound strings for D, A, E and that helped a lot, but unfortunately drastically changed the sound on other types of COSM models, finally I turn to ClearTone coated strings (.010) , which seems "cut" certain squeaky frequencies over the GK-3, in bottom strings.

Also, as sec6 noted, running through a guitar amplifier alters the frequency palette in favor of a more electric and less natural acoustical sound. I created NyRAC under home studio conditions, with pro flat audio monitors as reference, but as I mentioned, for live and gigs, I have successfully used FRFR systems or my Roland CUBE 80-XL or combinations of both. As a additional tip I use a Behringer UltraCurve DEQ2496 for a definite final touch of acoustic details.

I think is probable you are using BTS (Boss Tone Studio) for editing and handling patches and banks in your GP-10. Which is fine as long as you are aware of the problems BTS has, already reported to Roland / Boss (not fix yet) and announced here https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17889.0 . However, to edit the parameters of distance and sensitivity of the strings, I have found much better GP-10 editor Gumtown https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15464.0, since it allows monitoring The changes of these parameters with the audio in real time. That is not possible in BTS, as it bypass the audio from patch when entering in the GK 3 Setup edit window.

Finally, for the problem with my LesPaul / GK-3, similar to yours, I have a tip for you and hope it work in your side, that consists of cheating the system by selecting a piezo mic instead of the GK-3 in the GP-10 options and also tweaking a little with piezo high and lows adjust. Even though the original tonal characteristics of the patch change a bit, the result is quite good. The video says more than a thousand words, download it from the link indicated and watch it carefully. The editor used is the GP-10 Edit from Gumtown.

The video is packed in rar archive, please download, unpack and play. NOTE: it contain audio (start at 00:12
- NyRAC patched: NyLSmoothJazz
- I use my Gibson LP/w GK with similar problem.
- from 00:12 ~ 00:24  I play gently moderately soft, no "quack", GK type set to GK-3.
- at 00:26 I play with more force and attack, the "quack" arise !
- at 00:31 I change the GK setting to PIEZO, audio reflect the "cheating" !
From here on you can see the setting changes and the results in the sound. The best results were obtained by cheating the system with Piezo and Piezo L selection and tweaking with Piezo Tone High/Low.
The other settings can serve as reference if you want, but it depends on your guitar and also on your play style, technique (pick, fingerpicking/style etc) 
I hope this can be a help for you and anyone with this annoyance.

Also I suggest read Elantric recommendations at  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10782.msg146221#msg146221 about hexpup height.

https://archive.org/download/NYRACGKTIP/NYRAC_GK_TIP.rar

https://archive.org/details/NYRACGKTIP

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

jorelprime

Wow, thank you so much Autana, that has got the most helpful and informative reply I've ever gotten on any issue I asked about anywhere! It does encourage me to try everything to get decent results and also, I was not aware of that problem with the BTS (which I am using) nor the other editor being available. I downloaded the video and will watch now and play around with those settings. Thanks again for taking the time and effort with this post!  :)

aliensporebomb

Autana mentioned something that I thought I'd emphasize - I find these things are super sensitive to the pressure you are using to produce notes.  I find if I play very lightly and gently (example one third less pressure to enunciate a note) it produces a more acoustic realism on the steel string and nylon string guitar models. 

I find that if I play like I'm playing a rock and roll guitar part it loses something.  So back off a little bit. 

Over the years with these things and doing it for years I find I'm a better and more dynamic player when playing regular guitars and not just GK - try it! 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

jorelprime

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 02, 2017, 07:32:46 PM
Autana mentioned something that I thought I'd emphasize - I find these things are super sensitive to the pressure you are using to produce notes.  I find if I play very lightly and gently (example one third less pressure to enunciate a note) it produces a more acoustic realism on the steel string and nylon string guitar models. 

I find that if I play like I'm playing a rock and roll guitar part it loses something.  So back off a little bit. 

Over the years with these things and doing it for years I find I'm a better and more dynamic player when playing regular guitars and not just GK - try it!

Heh, yeah, you are of course very correct on the last sentence, sometimes I feel like throwing out everything and just stick to a good acoustic <- would probably be much more beneficial to me, compared to all the ''toys'' I keep on buying.  :P

Anyway, a bit of an update. Been playing around with that editor and the piezo settings and testing out different patches from this pack. I was also recording a lot of the testing. Somehow during playing I still wasn't really feeling it, especially on the low strings and when strumming chords. But then I don't do a lot of that, I like classical fingerstyle (the easy pieces that I can manage hehe) and ''flamenco'', and I put that in '' '' because I really only pretend to do it. So a mixture of more faster soloing and fingerpicking pieces. And while listening back on the test recordings I made, I was actually quite pleased with some of the results. Did get rid of that ''quack'' for the most part, but then the ''price'' was a bit unbalanced sound, don't know how else to call it, at the low strings. Especially the low E, can't get it to sound really good and ''natural'' and thus chording is so-so.
Then one of my pals, also a guitarist came to visit and I left the track playing. His comment was ''thats some good acoustic playing, sounds like you'' and then asked me what guitar I used since I am currently out of an acoustic (I actually returned an Ibanez TCM50 for the GP...) and I went ''huh''. I guess our own ears are much more critical of something - especially when one knows we are using a GK to model something. He thought it was an actual acoustic guitar and liked the tone - and he's not a bad player.

And listening some more, it does get the job done. I'd like to play some pieces like Malmsteen's Trilogy Suite Op 5 and Icarus Dream Suite Opus 4 and those have acoustic guitar parts in them. Swapping that on the stage would be a pain + bringing another acoustic. This will have to do. And honestly, listening now to this (and no I'm not a huge fan of his (after the first 3 albums anyway) but this is a good example of - imo - not so good acoustic tone  ;D ) and what I get from the GP, I think it's fairly close. If not on the same level. I must admit though, I haven't owned a nylon stringed acoustic in years. Just steel stinged ones. And on that note, this thing cannot emulate a steel stringed dreadnought, obviously. Haven't found a convincing patch for steel string yet.

But once again, thank you to Autana for the tips and these patches. A bit more work and experimenting and I'll probably even out the other kinks too. I can say I do get better results with this than I got with the Ibanez TCM50 into Katana's acoustic channel and also an Epiphone PR5 into Zoom G5 and using that to record into reaper. The GP-10 gives better results.

chrish

I know that you don't own it, however the vg99 acoustic pod series patch by aliensporebomb have a great sounding acoustic electric guitar (steel string) on chanell B. I have to believe the gp10 can also perform in this reguard.

mccorp

Amazing work with the Nylon patches. It is incredible how this GP-10 captures the tone of each of these different classical guitars.  :)
Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm