GR 55 - recreate the sound on "Hard Days Night"

Started by gibvictory, November 09, 2015, 01:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibvictory

I put this here because it might not only be a GR55 question.

I have a GR55 and using the Rick 12 string modeling to try to recreate the sound on "Hard Days Night". I can't get the higher strings to ring out louder than the standard six strings. It's fine for other uses but on this song the high strings ring out predominately. I assume some of this is due to the way a Rick is strung up with the thinner string before the thicker strings. Is there any way to adjust this or is it just an EQ thing going on between the Rick and Vox amp. Is there a parameter I over looked? I'll get by if I can't but just curious.

gibvictory

neshel

I don't know how such old recordings can still be reveled in or referred to........course, why play a song, especially live, when you can hear the recording.......

stratrat

From your second post, I gather you found the parameter to adjust the level of the root strings. However, here's another approach...

I use the "normal" guitar sound for the root strings and let the modelling mix in a Nashville tuned guitar only with no root. Each on a separate path/chain, so they can be amped, EQ'd and compressed independently. Lets you tweak to perfection.

Also note that key to the classic Ric 12 sound is are Vox style amps and for a lot of it (especially the Byrds and Petty), a fairly heavy hand on the compressor.

gibvictory

Thanks stratrat that's exactly the parameter I used. I actually already use the other approach. That is why I wanted to minimize the root strings on the modeling. I have a piezo equipped guitar and wanted to mix in the piezo to help with the sterile strumming feel of the modeling. I use the piezo on another Beatle song, Nowhere Man, because it seems to help with the crispness of the tone as opposed to the normal pickups. I almost always mix normal pickups or piezo with any GR55 synth sounds to help with latency or the sterile modeling feel. Thanks for the help.

admin

Quote from: gibvictory on November 09, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
I put this here because it might not only be a GR55 question.

I have a GR55 and using the Rick 12 string modeling to try to recreate the sound on "Hard Days Night". I can't get the higher strings to ring out louder than the standard six strings. It's fine for other uses but on this song the high strings ring out predominately. I assume some of this is due to the way a Rick is strung up with the thinner string before the thicker strings. Is there any way to adjust this or is it just an EQ thing going on between the Rick and Vox amp. Is there a parameter I over looked? I'll get by if I can't but just curious.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/this-is-the-right-way-to-play-the-beatles-a-hard-days-night-chord
Guitar chord shapes explained plus video lesson

(Image: © REX/Shutterstock)
The exact way to play this chord has long been the subject of debate, and many voicings of the chords have been suggested over the years.

The guys from the touring Beatles musical Let It Be Live use an Fadd9 played on a six-string guitar and an Am11 played on the 12-string guitar. This was accompanied by a D note on McCartney's bass.

Mixed together, the notes form a Dm7add11, but you can play it as a Dm11/G if you're playing on one guitar.

Below, Stephen Hill and Michael Gagliano (aka George Harrison and John Lennon in the Let It Be musical) show you their approach to the chord and how to play the rest of the song.