FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit

Started by hired gun, August 24, 2015, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hired gun

Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit

has anyone used the aux 8 pin out on the fishman oem to plug in a gk3,,, im ready to try it if anyone knows anything about this would apreciate any info ,,,the gk3 in the photo plus into the fishman oem look like the same plug and it looks like its paralleled to the fishman pickup because they didnt use the connector they just soldiered direct to the board an the connector is just sitting there unused funny the gk-kit has the bigger plug on it but the oem roland pickups for g5's and gc's and wort gk3 are the smaller 8 pin

Elantric

FTP shares the same Hex PU pinout as Roland Gk-3, and Yamaha G1D, Axon AIX-101

details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.0

1. Brown.........String 1 - high E
2. Red............String 2 - B
3. Orange.......String 3 - G
4. Yellow........String 4 - D
5. Green..........String 5 - A
6. Blue............String 6 - low E
7. Black...........Ground.
8. Ground Shield.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3365.0

hired gun

it works  this is too cool you can plug a a gk-3 wort board straight into a fishman triple play oem and share the fishman pickup between the the roland and the ftp how cool is that i had a 4 inch long male to male 8 pin plug cable from a g5 pickguard that i bought with pickup and wiring that was too easy

alexmcginness

YES!!!!!!! Any more pics and instructions on how to do this?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

Well, I assumed it would be as easy as plugging in a  multi cable to the chassis of the GK board. After reading the other thread and the need for more electronics it seems that mounting both on a guitar is the only practical way to go.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

Quote from: hired gun on August 25, 2015, 08:56:48 AM
it works  this is too cool you can plug a a gk-3 wort board straight into a fishman triple play oem and share the fishman pickup between the the roland and the ftp how cool is that i had a 4 inch long male to male 8 pin plug cable from a g5 pickguard that i bought with pickup and wiring that was too easy
I seem to be missing something here. You say its as easy as plugging in a cable yet on the thread Elantric sent me too they say if you dont have proper extra electronics itll start smoking. Which is correct? Can you hook up the fishman and the GK to share the one pickup using a multi wire jumper or are other electronics ( resistors etc ) required?
  Can you reverse this and have the GK 3 power the fishman?

FreeTime

The difference seems to be piezo vs magnetic pick up.

Piezos make their electrical signal by varying the pressure on a crystal, vs a mag pickup which produces its signal by moving something ferrous (string) through a magnetic field . Although you shouldn't play your guitar that hard, it is theoretically possible to make a spark (think BBQ lighter) off a piezo pickup; the response just isn't as linear as a magnetic pickup which I'd imagine the input stage to the FTP is tailored to.

Sharing one pickup through a Y cable might cause impedance mismatch/volume weirdness especially on the COSM end of things if one processor receives a feeble signal.
If it doesn't work buffer will be required. Can of worms here. Neither device is expecting a buffered input.

Indeed you can get +5Vdc via TA78L05 from the GK3, there just isn't enough juice flowing down your GK 13 pin cable to power all that additional hardware without putting undue load on the supply.

I don't see the point of wireless midi if you're wired to your VG/GR/GP anyways, but using it on its own with wireless guitar would be pretty cool.

Elantric

Actually in this example I assume we are talking about adding an internal GK-3 to the Fender Tripleplay Strat that employs a Fishman Magntic Hex PU

Perhaps the OP can confirm the guitar type he is using?

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/fender-fishman-tripleplay-stratocaster-hss/product-0141800.html

Elantric

Now here another option for mobile guitarists

I located a gently played Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat that was very well maintained ( with a recent fret polishing)

The overlooked feature of this guitar is its built in USB Class compliant Audio Interface  -
AND or for what it is worth -  assuming its the same core USB Audio chipset employed in the Fender Tripleplay Strat USB Audio - so far I'm NOT able to get good results on any MS Windows PC with this interface.   
http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/fender-universal-asio-driver/
But I only used ASIO4ALL - need to try the Fender Universal ASIO USB driver for Windows here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130724235209/http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/fender-universal-asio-driver/

its very clean, i believe its 24 bit, and this guitar is an excellent foundation for mods
( see the thread in progress how it install an internal GK Kit in Fender Fishman Tripleplay Stratt)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15974.msg114112#msg114112

Can also use this guitar as a platform for an Antares ATG Internal Luthier Kit!  - I'm pursuing the "TripleCrown" mod !

Start with a Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat = and keep the stock Fishman hex Mag  PU - we will modify this so it can drive the existing Fishman Tripleplay Guitar to MIDI system 

* Add Antares Internal Luthier Kit for adding internal DSP Guitar Modeling and Alt tuning

* Add Roland GK-KIT-GT3 for adding a path for connections to VG-99 / GR-55 / GP-10

or leave Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat  stock and be productive while on the road. Just add eityher a MacBook Pro or an iPad or an iPhone + Apple Lightning USB (Host)  Camera Adapter  - and on the Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat,  locate the side mounted  USB jack, and connect headphones, then  connect a mini USB Cable between the guitar and your WinPC/ MacBook, or connect to an Apple USB Camera Adapter and connect to your iPad or iPhone. Its simple, and effective and clean audio.   

GuitarBuilder

Even better news is that it may be available from Fender as spare parts (7703232000 and 7702480000) and could potentially be retrofitted to any other guitar!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

have you located the Fender service manual for the  Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat" ???

( I love this guitar! )

GuitarBuilder

Elantric

QuoteNo service manual, but I do have the parts list!

THANKS!!!!

GuitarBuilder

You're most welcome, Elantric.  Compared to what you do for us on the forum, it is only a very small token. ;D ;D

Vade

Well this is interesting news. I'll be very interested to see which way you go with this Elantric. Simply plugging a cable to connect an internal GK3 and the Fishman board in the triple play Strat would be a game changer. I've been keeping my eye out hoping that the Godin LGXT would be included in the Godin sale but a relatively easy mod to get built in FTP and 13 pin into a Strat sounds even better. Another plus is you could mod the wammy bar without worrying about the piezo if you didn't care for the stock stat model.

Edit: 09-27-2017

As regards this thread, there are many pictures and it's a record of a work in progress; that can make it seem more complicated than it is. The bottom line is that when using a Fender FTP Stratocaster as a guitar to mod you can run a simple 8 wire jumper from the built in FTP to a Roland GK3 internal kit you buy and install. Fender's built in hex pick-up will feed both the FTP and the GK3. That's the essence of the mod and that's pretty simple. Everything else is about how you want to place the GK3 and set up the controls for the GK3; you'd have to figure that out for any guitar where you wanted to install an internal GK3. If you do decide to go this route I'd highly recommend Gumbo as a source for the 8 wire jumper and his Synth-Linx 13 pin connectors. He knows his stuff and he's a whole lot of fun to work with. (Think Mad Max Kangaroo toting a guitar) Best of luck and have fun if you decide to go this route.

This is what it sounds like live...

https://soundcloud.com/vadie/ambient-steel
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Trevor

I'd like to run a RMC Polydrive off my FTP's hex pickup, so I can have independent access to all my 13-pin GR-30 stuff as well as softsynth.I'm guessing I can just solder off the back tabs of the FTP's board for hex signal, does this sound correct, or does anyone know if I'm impedance mismatching?

Elantric

I assume you have a magnetic FTP hex PU?

Skip the RMC Polydrive and head for a Roland GK-KIT-GT-3

($135 here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11241.0

- thats what i'm about to do on my Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat

just run the FTP Mag Hex PU to a parallel jumper ribbon cable and feed both Fishman FTP Controller and GK-KIT-GT3 preamp board
as explained above!  ^ ^

GuitarBuilder

I just scored a Fender TP Strat as well - Sunburst with Rosewood fingerboard.

The GK retrofit is an attractive option; the question is: "do we retain the USB/audio jack plate?".  I agree with Elantric that having the USB audio out is quite useful; I have doubts about the audio jack (headphone output).  Perhaps I can fabricate a new plate for a GK jack and USB jack only.

The other mod I'm contemplating is converting the headphone volume control to a tone control; if I remove the audio jack this is a logical next step.

Elantric

I'm thinking of attempting the impossible

Add both Antares ATG internal kit and GK-KIT-GT3

I'm looking to replace the stock Strat output jack with a cover i can mount a '62 jazzmaster stack pot - install a new side mount jack plate or ??

Might have to remove the built-in USB Audio  - but hate to do that as its so convenient to just carry one guitar and one iPad and be able to learn songs and compose anywhere. 

There is also the Brian Moore approach - install the Strat jack plate on the rear

Casio MG-510 got it right -easy access for maintenance

When I was at Ernie Ball /  MusicMan in 2000,  I suggested this same approach to Dudley Gimple when he designed the MM Petrucci Piezo

I've done similar shenanigans before!

whippinpost91850

Elantric quote  "I'm thinking of attempting the impossible
Add both Antares ATG internal kit and GK-KIT-GT3"

I've been thinking of this as well, but am still trying to figure out how to do it as a floor box instead

Trevor

Quote from: Elantric on December 17, 2015, 12:22:09 PM
I assume you have a magnetic FTP hex PU?

Skip the RMC Polydrive and head for a Roland GK-KIT-GT-3

($135 here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11241.0

- thats what i'm about to do on my Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat

just run the FTP Mag Hex PU to a parallel jumper ribbon cable and feed both Fishman FTP Controller and GK-KIT-GT3 preamp board
as explained above!  ^ ^
Luckily I have a bunch of midi guitar equipment around (anyone want some optical 13 pin pickups?), so I gutted a GK pickup controller and am going to mount it directly on the FTP, as my home built ergo guitar has no room for even pots. Hacked together for testing, works fine, edges will eventually be sanded off, and the whole thing morphed to the FTP plastic top with moldable plastic.
I did think I had a ground prob, but simply pluggin in the guitar jack fixed it.This is too cool FTP, AT200 guts, GK-3 all on one guitar.Endless possibilities.

vablows

Trevor

Not the best shot , but here's the proto.If you don't count when the GK-plug is in, it barely changed the profile of the FTP, about 1 inch in the vertical and 1.5 in the horizontal, either way, all accessible and not in the way.It ain't pretty, no time for that, looks like an FTP puked up a GK wart in it's sleep, the little serial cable tail goes to the AT200.Making a backing for soloing to is cake, I get lost lost lost.

mooncaine