Steinberg UR44

Started by Elantric, August 05, 2015, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Steinberg UR44
Seems a good mix of features for Win/OSX and iPad IOS compatibility with IOS app DSPMIXFX that provides access to the built in Yamaha DSP for Reverb, Compression, and Guitar Amp Modeling on iPad !

A few folks here at VguitarForums used the Steinberg UR22 - and reported distortion issues when recording guitar direct to the Hi-Z Instrument input, but my research traced that to the "powered by USB" aspect of the UR22 which runs on +5VDC . This UR44 is different, employs a separate +12VDC supply, Six Inputs ( four XLR Mic type on front, two Line Inputs on rear) and a dedicated DSP for low latency FX  - yields higher signal to noise . I plan to run it from one of my 12VDC External battery packs, and use it as a MIDI I/O interface too.   

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44/ur44_setup_examples.html

http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=downloads_ur44&L=1

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur44.html

USB Class Compliant Mode

The UR824, UR28M and UR44 can be switched to CC (Class Compliant) mode*. In this mode the interfaces work with the iPad (2 or later) through Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit. Combining the UR units with an iOS audio application, such as Steinberg's Cubasis, you get a fully mobile audio recording solution.

6x4 USB 2.0 audio interface with 4x D-PREs, 24-bit/192 kHz support & MIDI I/O

The perfect balance between connectivity and portability: the UR44 is a powerful audio/MIDI interface designed to suit a huge range of recording and production situations. Four mic preamps, six inputs, four output channels, MIDI I/O ports, onboard DSP power and full iPad connectivity offer an outstandingly flexible feature set.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dspmixfx/id833462295?mt=8

Elantric

S.O.S. mag  Review
By Barry Watson
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct14/articles/steinberg-ur44.htm?print=yes

Could Steinberg's mid–sized USB audio interface provide the perfect package for the home studio and music on the move?
Barry Watson

The UR44 is the latest addition to Steinberg's roster of audio interfaces, providing a definite step up in specification from the small and capable UR22 we looked at in June 2013 (see www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun13/articles/steinberg–ur22.htm). It features the same Yamaha D–Pre microphone preamps as the rest of the range (which are also found on Yamaha digital mixers) and a maximum sample rate of 192kHz. When compared to the UR22, the UR44 offers more inputs and outputs (six ins and four outs) plus a flexible low-latency monitoring system with effects. The package includes the Yamaha DSP bundle, comprising the REV–X reverb, Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip compressor/EQ and the new Guitar Amps Classics amp simulator, plus a basic version of Cubase. iOS compatibility is achieved through the use of an appropriate Apple Connection Kit, making it an interesting option for music-making on the iPad.

Opened Up
Just like the more diminutive UR22, the UR44 is packaged in an incredibly sturdy metal case, sporting the ever–popular brushed aluminium and black finish. The build quality and paint job really do eclipse other interfaces at this price. The unit is nicely weighted, whilst switches and pots feel positive and abundantly hardy in use. Chunky rubber feet beneath the case and handy labelling of connections on the top round things off nicely. The interface is powered by a wall–wart DC adaptor, which is included alongside a USB cable with a removable ferrite core. As with other larger USB audio interfaces, bus powering is not an option, which might constitute a limitation for those interested in location recording. (MOD EDIT: But it runs on +12VDC and there are plenty of options for DIY External Battery) 

Starting with the front panel, four Neutrik Combo connectors give access to the D–Pre mic preamplifiers. On the jack front, inputs 1 and 2 are set at instrument level for guitars and bass, whilst inputs 3 and 4 are line level (either unbalanced or balanced). Above the Combo sockets is a series of LEDs: a peak indicator for each input as well as phantom power and mains power. It perhaps would have been nice to have multi–coloured LEDs here to show input activity as well as input overload. To the right of the four input connectors are the gain controls. Such a layout is neat when the various cables are plugged in, and also allows for more accurate gain matching between channels. Phantom power switching is in pairs — a welcome feature if you need to connect anything that doesn't like it — and although there is no pad switch, a high–pass filter and polarity switch are accessible via software control. A monitor section follows, with volume controls for two independent headphone mixes plus the master output.
Around the back, two further line inputs are provided and, usefully, these can be switched in sensitivity between +4dBu and –10dBV. There are four line outputs here, and two additional main left and right line outputs that carry the same signals as outputs 1–2. Such a specification is handy for users wanting to connect a second set of monitors, but as an engineer who regularly dabbles with surround mixing, it would have been nice to have six independent outputs to make the interface even more versatile. I suppose this decision makes sense when comparing the specification of the UR44 to the larger UR28M (which does have six outputs), but I will continue to keep this on my wish list! Another omission that sets the UR44 apart from the UR28M is the lack of digital I/O, which could prove problematic for those wishing to connect external equipment using S/PDIF, for example. MIDI In and Out connections and a switch for class-compliant (iOS) operation complete the back panel line–up.
Installation
As with other Steinberg products, getting started involves a number of steps and user registration. The interface is boxed with a 'tools' disc containing the USB driver, the 'dspMixFx' software control application and the DSP effects. This software — plus subsequent updates — is also available from the Steinberg web site, for those who don't have an optical drive. The DSP effects need to be activated before use, and this is achieved by first launching the installed 'eLicenser' application and entering the serial number supplied on a licence card.

Two additional line inputs are located next to the four line outputs on the rear panel. A  further Main LR pair of line outputs carry the same signals as outputs 1–2, so that two sets of monitors can be connected. MIDI input/output is present, as well as a  class-compliant mode switch for use with iOS. Power is by means of a  12 volt external supply.
Two additional line inputs are located next to the four line outputs on the rear panel. A further Main LR pair of line outputs carry the same signals as outputs 1–2, so that two sets of monitors can be connected. MIDI input/output is present, as well as a class-compliant mode switch for use with iOS. Power is by means of a 12 volt external supply.
Cubase AI is downloaded directly from the Steinberg web site using the code from a second licence card. User registration is required, and the install is very sizeable at around 3.4GB. Following investigation, it was revealed that such substantial size is due to the standard installation including over 2.5GB of content that isn't even used by the free version of the software! I assume that this is related to the special offer upgrade to Cubase Elements that is advertised when Cubase AI is first used, but it's extremely presumptuous of Steinberg to assume that users would like to have the content there ready for a potential upgrade. Frustratingly, the content is fairly difficult to remove manually afterwards, so users would benefit from clearer information on screen at the installation stage. To negate this issue, 'Custom Install' must be selected and all content options unchecked, ensuring that only data pertaining to AI only is copied to the hard disk.
The firmware can be easily updated at any time via the Information window within the dspMixFx software . Clicking 'Check For Update' here will search for firmware and software updates and then apply them. Those wishing to use the UR44 with an iPad require firmware version 2.1 or later.
Bundled Bits
A colourful dspMixFx application is provided to set up foldback mixes and control other hardware features on the interface. This software is to be used with audio applications other than Cubase, and is presented as a virtual mixer panel with a reassuringly intuitive layout. On the left–hand side of the mixer panel, each input is represented as a channel with volume, pan and mute/solo controls, plus a polarity switch and high–pass filter (inputs 1–4 only). DSP effects can be added to signals in the foldback mix as inserts, but typically the blue send knob is used to effortlessly add a touch of reverb to incoming signals. The master section on the right–hand side features master output faders and meters, and an effects return to specify the reverb algorithm being used and control reverb time/return level. Two independent headphone mixes can be set up by toggling the Mix buttons, and all settings can be simply stored for later recall. By pressing the Set–up button at the top right-hand side of the window, users can access additional hardware settings, including sensitivity switching for line inputs 5–6 and to change the high-pass filter frequency for the first four inputs.

The dspMixFx software (top left) working in conjunction with Reaper. The Sweetspot Morphing Channel Strip and Guitar Amp Classics plug–ins are also pictured, in this case being used to provide low-latency effects on the foldback mix.
An iPad app version of dspMixFx is also available and can be downloaded once the firmware has been updated. The app works alongside other iOS audio apps to provide the same functionality as described above. Used creatively, the app can alternatively act as a digital mixer for a live session or rehearsal, for example with microphones running through the reverb, EQ and compression, and guitars passed through the amp simulator.
Cubase AI 7 features 32 audio tracks, up to 16 virtual instrument tracks and an updated graphical user interface. Notably, version 7 allows the use of sample rates above 96kHz, and so constitutes a more useful recording package than previous versions (which were limited to 96kHz). A limited Halion Sonic SE sound set is available, consisting of General MIDI timbres plus a handful of pads and synths. The 28 stock audio effects are also basic, but are complemented nicely by using the VST3 versions of the bundled plug–ins on inserts and sends. The REV–X plug–in is a parameter–rich digital reverb from Yamaha, whilst Guitar Amp Classics offers a variety of usable tones and simple user interface. Likewise, the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip offers a pleasant-sounding EQ plus more detailed control of compression parameters than the stock dynamics plug–in (for instance, higher compression ratios are available). Cubase AI integrates DSP monitoring controls for the UR44 into its native mixer panel, so the dspMixFx software is not required when using Cubase.
In Session
Using the UR44 with my DAW of choice (Reaper) was a delight and yielded excellent results. Simple hardware controls combined with the intuitive layout of the dspMixFx made it incredibly simple to plug in microphones and manipulate the sound coming from the headphones to my liking. Plenty of gain was available to the microphones (up to +52dB) and again, I found the D–Pre preamps to be low in noise and transparent. Adding reverb on the foldback mix really allows the instruments being recorded to work in context with the other tracks playing back, whilst panning the inputs helps to separate them in the headphones, particularly in a self–operation situation where a number of inputs are being used by the performer/engineer. The only down side to all this was that I was unable to access the VST3 versions of the bundled effects plug–ins for mixing, since Reaper does not support this standard.

Meanwhile, in Cubase AI, a UR44 template provides a useful starting point for a recording project. Use of a template is key to getting the device's inputs and outputs active and direct monitoring switched on, but annoyingly, some fiddling with the VST Connections panel was still required to get inputs 5–6 up and running. Seasoned Cubase users will not be fazed by this, but the way in which inputs and outputs are accessed isn't at all obvious for the beginner.
The re–designed Cubase mixer panel displaying the UR44 direct monitoring controls in the top section for the first three mixer channels (which correspond to hardware inputs). The REV–X digital reverb processor is also shown and offers a  good range of adjustable parameters.
The re–designed Cubase mixer panel displaying the UR44 direct monitoring controls in the top section for the first three mixer channels (which correspond to hardware inputs). The REV–X digital reverb processor is also shown and offers a good range of adjustable parameters.
When using any of the Cubase variants, control of the foldback mix and DSP effects is integrated into the software itself, so there's no need to use dspMixFX (which in fact will not function whilst Cubase is running). Far from making the process more streamlined, I found the somewhat cryptic graphics on the Input Settings and Hardware Control panels within the Cubase mixer to be less intuitive than the dspMixFx user interface. Furthermore, it took me a while to get going, as the default horizontal zoom setting on the mixer rendered many of the direct monitoring controls invisible, a confusing situation that was only rectified by undertaking an Internet search to find out the keyboard shortcut for zooming out in the mixer ('H' on the keyboard). However, once these hurdles were overcome, Cubase AI did do everything I needed for recording, editing and mixing some audio tracks, whilst also providing some passable string pads to layer up the mix. If you don't own any other DAW software, Cubase AI does represent a worthwhile option when starting out, if only to access the VST3 versions of REV–X and the other bundled plug–ins for mixing duties.
Verdict
Summing things up, the Steinberg UR44 is a high-quality and sturdy four–input interface with flexible direct monitoring features, decent-quality bundled plug–ins, and a basic DAW to get you started. The dspMixFx software works incredibly well when working alongside external software, but it's frustrating that this cannot also be used when recording with Steinberg's own sequencers. This package will fit the bill for those who want to record more than two simultaneous inputs at high sample rates using analogue inputs, or those wanting to switch between computer and an iPad rig with minimal headaches. The UR44 is well worth a look! .

Alternatives
The Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 is a slightly more expensive option. It features a greater number of line inputs than the UR44, plus SPDIF I/O and ADAT optical in. Software–controlled direct monitoring and two separate cue mixes are present, but doesn't include any DSP effects processing. In use, I've found the mic preamps to not be nearly as clean as the Steinberg's, and maximum sample rate is set at 96kHz.
The Akai EIE Pro is a fantastic budget option. It has broadly similar features to the UR44 with retro styling, VU meters and bonus features including insert points and USB hub. The preamps don't match the quality of those on the UR44, and there is a simple direct monitoring system that doesn't have software control or effects. Sister company M–Audio recently launched a re–boxed version of this interface called the M–Track Quad.
Specifications
Four D–Pre mic preamplifiers with Neutrik Combo connectors.
Two instrument jack inputs on Combo connectors, two TRS line inputs on Combo connectors.
Two further TRS line inputs.
Four TRS line outputs, plus Main LR line outputs (which yield same signals as line outputs 1–2).
Two quarter–inch headphone sockets.
MIDI In and Out.
USB 2.0.
Requires Mac OS 10.7 or 10.8, or Windows 7 or 8 (32– or 64–bit).
Compatible with iOS (requires an Apple Connection Kit).
Comes with Cubase AI Elements 7 (via download), REV–X reverb, Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip & Guitar Amp Classics amp simulator.
Supplied with DC power adaptor & USB cable.

Lzybdha

Elantric, I can't wait to see a review of this box and a comparison to the other interfaces that are part of your continuing show down for an iOS set up.  I know that I'm really interested in hearing how this stacks up!
I don't even know how to spell noob

Elantric

So far its been a royal pain in the butt - For some reason Steinberg requires an "e-Licencer" just to run its UR44 DSP Mixer with the Guitar amp sims - and the "e-Licencer" installer is a nightmare on OSX - completely prompts me to insert a Nuendo / Cubase USB "E-Licenser key stick - which is NOT supplied with the UR-44. ( and I have zero interest to Buy a E-Licenser Stick and install Cubase)

I did get the OSX USB Audio Driver to install on my mac, and audio worked  -  but OSX shows no MIDI I/O available from the UR44 on OSX - so it has issues.

On Windows 8.1, its a separate can of worms - i finally got the "Soft-E-Lincenser  to install and work - but i can not get the UR44 USB Audio driver for Windows 8.1  to install correctly. it just sits there for 35 minutes then gets hung, while i see lots of internet traffic during a simple USB driver install. 

I was supposed to start using the UR44 for ipad  - but fresh out of the box, mine has old stale firmware that must be updated prior to  working with the Steinberg / Yamaha IOS DSPMixer app  -  but the UR44 firmware must be updated to latest version first - using either a Windows PC or OSX Mac   - But the UR44 Firmware update app refuses to run on OSX,
and  Windows  without the UR44 USB driver, the Firmware Update app cant find the UR-44

its time to break out the lyrics to "there's a hole in my bucket dear georgie, dear georgie" 

Steinberg User forum is useless  i did find a Steinberg Forum post in portuguese from another UR44 owner complaining about my identical situation  - and the UR44 docs are not accurate  - just a giant 8 language wall poster with warnings about FCC, and links to " go read the Website.

Steinberg customer support are completely absent - no replies to my emails after waiting weeks -(Maybe they are all on Extended Holiday in Europe?)  its a new low for the worst customer support experience I have ever witnessed from any Pro Audio company -   worst documentation - 3 unique download UR44 PDF docs,  all with the same identical name "RELEASE NOTES.PDF, yet each covers separate topics: USB Driver, License manager, Basic FX Suite - ugh!

Steinberg was purchased by  Yamaha a few years back, who apparently  cut the staff ( most now work for Presonus on Studio One DAW)
We know Yamaha also recently purchased Line-6. hopefully this is not a sign of things to come, but I'm not holding my breath - I advise  download any Line-6 apps USB Drivers  for Line-6 gear now while you still can before the Yamaha bean counters do to Line -6 as they have already have done to Steinberg.

I have seen better Owners Manuals and had better customer support from a Chinese Guitar dealer on Ali-Express.com  even Native Instruments or Mark of the Unicorn have much better Customer support. 

Elantric

OK - I finally have the UR44 working.

I suppose if you are a genuine geek, enjoy browsing the net for solutions, have a flawless high speed internet connection ( required for loading the UR44 USB Driver) and lots of patience  - this interface is for you.

But its finally up and running - finally got the Win 8.1 USB driver loaded, Firmware updated, and Basic FX Suite and E-Licenser all working on Windows - ( It still refuses to work on Mac )   and UR44  sounds rather quiet - although I detect bit more hiss in the UR44 headphone amp, compared to the lower noise Scarlet 2i4)

Side note  - for a recent project I resorted to using my Gretsch 6120+ Kemper feeding the Scarlet 2i4 in Sony Vegas , and that worked very well with the Scarlet 2i4's  "point & shoot" hardware controls for "panning" between  Direct in and DAW Out and mono / stereo switch  monitoring -  right on the front of the Scarlet 2i4 (for what it is worth the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is on sale next at Guitar Center for $150)

By contrast, the Steinberg UR44 requires  navigating to its own little mixer app that sits in the background for configuring many of its features - like Direct Monitoring.

On Windows , the UR44's  Guitar Amp and FX are only available as VSTi FX in a DAW to Host the UR44's VSTi FX. Too bad the included UR 44 "dsp Mix" app does not directly support hosting VSTi FX - and there is no MIDI automation for these UR44 amps or FX.

Next stop - using the UR44 on iPad - which after I finally got the UR44 firmware update installed ,   I can go test what i was after all along - UR44 on IOS with its DSP Guitar amp sims 

to be continued.     

Elantric

Not too happy with the Steinberg UR44  on iPad -

I used for a couple hours last night - there is an internal Yamaha DSP which seems have lifted the code for the Amp modeling straight from a 2001 era  Yamaha DG-100 DSP Modeling amp - I recognize the controls and signature sound   

Which means the Cab simulation is junk

So using the Steinberg / Yamaha "DSPMIX" IOS mixer app for UR44, I defeated ALL DSP processing inside the UR44, and tried to see how it worked as a basic 24 bit iPad Audio interface for BIAS FX (IOS) - but all audio passed through the UR44 had this "shrill  / cold / lack of warmth'  "UR44 signature"  sound to it. I reverted back to the Roland UA 22-EX and Line-6 SonicPort VX - finally had a good 24 bit sound with BIAS FX again.   

Still tough to beat the  Roland UA 22-EX or Focusrite 2i4 ( with powered USB Hub) as good all purpose iPad/iPhone 24 bit Audio  / MIDI interfaces