GP-10 Normal COSM Amp collection

Started by jwhitcomb3, June 20, 2015, 07:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

Here are a collection of presets that each explore a different COSM amp model with the normal pickups.

The idea here was to use the ExpOff pedal to travel between lower and higher gain sounds. Usually this is done by crossfading various amp controls (but I do it with the Treble Booster on the Vox preset). It is different for each preset, as I tried to voice the controls to best leverage the qualities I like in the amps. For example, for some I will boost the bass and mids for low gain settings (heel down), and/or cut the treble and/or presence for the high gain (toe down).

If the preset has "LFO" in its name, one or more assign wave pedals is modulating the tone controls. This is fairly subtle, intended to give the sound a little motion/dimension, rather than a big sweeping effect (except for the "MagsEntropy" patch).

The ExpSw often brings in a wah, but sometimes will be assigned to something else (such as a compressor on the Matchless patch).

The control pedals are generally as follows: Ctl1 Reverb (sometimes compressor), Ctl2 amp solo, Ctl3 delay, Ctl4 tap tempo. If you don't have a Boss FS-6 or FS-7, get one! :) The comments in the librarian indicate the specific controls for each preset.

I generally prefer these presets with the ExpOff about mid-throw, and then dial in more/less hair as desired. However, these presets are very sensitive to the guitar's volume control as well, so sometimes I just set the ExpOff and forget it, just dialing in my tones with the guitar volume. I used a Fender Aerodyne Strat when making these patches.

While the idea was generally for consistency in controls between patches, there is some variation based on what made each preset sound best.

Note there are also COSM pickups enabled for each preset, which are simply ignored if you use the normal input (disable them if you like). I use the switch on my RR Strat to switch between COSM, Normal and Blend. The GK vol controls the modeling volume and S1/S2 are pickup select up/down.

The "MagsEntropy" preset is the odd duck here. It started as an experiment using LFOs on the EQ module. For two frequency bands, the gain modulates from cut to boost, while the Q is similarly modulated, so the cut frequencies have a wide Q and the boost frequencies have a narrow Q. The ExpSw toggles amps.

I have been tweaking these presets over the past few weeks. They are still not entirely volume balanced. I welcome your comments and improvements.

Dr Tadpole

Thanks for sharing these!!! I definitely miss a general volume control, so I think i will do some tweaking on controls, but the overall sound is really good!!!!

many thanks again

Giorgio

Autana

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on June 20, 2015, 07:56:18 AM
Here are a collection of presets that each explore a different COSM amp model with the normal pickups.

I have been tweaking these presets over the past few weeks. They are still not entirely volume balanced. I welcome your comments and improvements.

Thanks for share this  jwhitcomb3!  it look really useful, I will check this weekend and comment.  8)
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

JiveTurkey

Just a quick note to say I tried these last night. I need to get some volume behind them but I really dug the MS1959 patch. I am going to work with it some more and see if I can use it as a base amp tone. Good work!

jcifuentes

I'm lookingfor a better brown sound.This just might do it! Thanks for the time and effort, much appreciated...