MOTU Z-Box

Started by Elantric, July 11, 2014, 11:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I can recommend both Focusrite Scarlett USB and (ironically) MOTU 828 MK3 Sound cards for Windows

And there are good reports on the Steinberg UR22 - but the Guitar input is reported to clip a bit early.

Also Native Instruments interfaces work well too.  - but with Windows machines its always a trial a lots of error until you locate the combo that works.

There exists this MOTU Z-Box gadget that actually helps tame input clipping for many Audio interfaces

http://www.motu.com/products/guitar/zbox

The MOTU ZBox is a great device for guitarists that use amp sims. According to the MOTU website, the ZBox "emulates the two-jack switching network found on many classic amplifiers, complete with analog simulation of the input tube grid". (some Fender amps and others still have these types of inputs).

"ZBox matches the output impedance ("Z") of your guitar to the impedance of a non-amp input, such as the mic/instrument preamp inputs on your audio interface. Without proper impedance matching, your guitar won't sound natural or "feel right".

ZBox's unique advantage? Authentic matching circuits that emulate the two-jack switching network found on many classic amplifiers, complete with analog simulation of the input tube grid. Only ZBox delivers the most authentic amplifier impedance matching available for the absolute truest sound and "feel" from your guitar.

ZBox is the "missing link" for digital guitar processing, providing the hardware-driven input characteristics required to truly emulate a real guitar amp."

Read more about it on the MOTU website: http://www.motu.com/products/guitar/zbox

---

COMMENTARY:

It works well! Sturdy box with gummy rubber feet. Did what I expected. The ZBox had to appeal to a wide verity of tone chasers, from Wes Montgomery tones, to Djent tones. But because it's just basically emulating the very front end of a guitar amplifier, it works in all situations where you need to plug your guitar into a mixer, or any other instrument input device that's not a guitar amplifier. Something to mention - many "classic" Djent tones were made with amp sims before the ZBox was released. However, I think the ZBox would be very welcome by this style of guitarist as a lot of those guys end up having to roll off a lot of high end with EQs, and the ZBox does some of that for you, yet in a very natural and musical way.

There are other uses for the ZBoz. If you're using a wireless transmitter, placing a ZBox between your guitar and a wireless device might be a good idea. However, in this video I'm mainly focusing on using the ZBox with an audio interface and an amp sim.

Since the ZBox does a nice job of emulating the front end of an amp, it might actually be a bit subtle for some guitarists' ears. But sometimes subtle is the difference between "eh", and "Ah!"

Bottom line: For only $30 - $40 US dollars, if your using an amp sim, I think you owe it to yourself to give the ZBox a try. As mentioned before, amp sim plug-in based "Djent" sounds would really benefit from this device because the Zbox will eq the highs just right and at the same time add some slightly warner mid tones. Good for jazz, blues, and all rock styles too.

---

THE VIDEO:

Listen and watch the spectrum analyzer as I switch between the DI/amp sim, the ZBox/amp sim, and then a Bogner Ecstasy with V30s and a SM57. The ZBbox seems to dampens some harsh and brittle high frequencies, and/or alters some harmonic content levels, and it does so very musically.

I played a 1979 Led Paul Custom. directly into..

1) AMP - Bogner Ecstasy with a 57 cone off-axis.

2) DI/ZBox/Amp Sim - One track has the ZBox inline, the other does not.

Go to the MOTU website at http://www.motu.com/products/guitar/zbox to learn more.

Also, If you use MOTU products or are considering MOTU interfaces, the amazing Digital Performer, MachFive 3 or any other MOTU product, I highly recommend visiting MOTUNATION at http://www.motunation.com/forum/index.... MOTUNATION is a popular MOTU users group. If you want to meet some serious Digital Performer, MachFive, and MOTU hardware power users, MOTUNATION is the place.

* I'm in no way affiliated with MOTU. I've just happily been using MOTU products for a very long time.