GT-100- Experience so far...

Started by Syph, March 20, 2015, 09:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syph

Let me preface this by saying the Gt100 is an amazing price of hardware with great sounds etc etc... But I think I am starting to hate it. (I may just be suffering from still not knowing how to use it, but....)

It feels like there is no optimal way to set the unit up for my work flow.

Patches seemed like a great idea, but scrolling through banks sucks for improv. I dislike changing patches as well since there is no delay spill, and I use a LOT of delay.

I dislike using manual mode since a pedal can only turn on/off one thing. Manual mode also disables using per patch assignments in the pedals. There are 8 buttons on the GT, and they can only do 1 thing at a time...

Midi sync: there is no way to turn on/off midi sync on the fly. And if you are not syncing to an external clock the units Bpm changes per patch. If you dig through menus or disconnect  the midi when syncing, it reverts to patch tempo. So if I want to optionally sync the GT to my loop station I have to put my ipad in the middle and then build weird midi controllers. Otherwise I change patches in the looper and the GT changes tempos. Terrible.

The 8 rotary encoders are far from reliably controllable via my big toe, and I'll admit that is a more idiosyncratic thing to me (probably). And on top of that, they become useless live in manual mode.

With only 8 assigns, it's impossible build a detailed editor on the ipad to compensate for the lack of real time control available on the GT, which really seems like the nub of the issue for me.

I appreciate the gt100 would be a great device if I was working with a band with pre written material, or if I could actually write my own material instead of being a chronic improviser. I could write around the limitations of the gear, and work the gear per song. But in an improvised (soloist) format I am finding the GT to be too limiting to produce a wide variety of tones with out scrolling through banks, pressing 50 pedals, changing modes every 6 bars, or waiting for a delay trail to wander off.

I am curious if anyone else feels this way, or if I am missing the buttons that do all the things I want them to do!

Very seriously though, love the sounds I can get out of the unit. If money were not an issue it would live in my studio and I would be very happy about it.

I just wish there was a compromise between patch mode, manual mode, usable encoders, and assigns.

Graham G

I'm a real novice with multi-effects,but i also use the GT100 in manual mode,then i use assigns via an FS-6 pedal to give instant multiples of whichever of the 8 pedals i want at the same time.
I haven't used/tried a midi pedal,but i suspect there could be so many things going on with one switch,it'd make me dizzy :)
Like a said i'm a GT100 dummy,i only use it live,but i think it's a great product.

Syph

I have thought of the expansion switches/midi controls, but as I already have an rc300, a gt100 and 4 fs5u's I have run out of real estate for my feet! (And yes, all the buttons/expressions are already tied up with the RC as well.)

I am not trying to dis on the GT, awesome piece of gear, and I really want it to work for me! I worked with a band for a while with it and it was great. Had it slaved off an ableton session with all patch changes automated, automated FX and looping in ableton. 'Twas amazingly cool! Felt like a wizard...

I guess I am partly hoping some one turns up and calls me an idiot for missing something obvious. As it is though I am thinking about selling it and getting a gr55. Lots of limitations on that things work flow as well, but a much more diverse set of sounds to work with.

If6was9

Quote from: Syph on March 20, 2015, 09:24:08 PM
I dislike using manual mode since a pedal can only turn on/off one thing. Manual mode also disables using per patch assignments in the pedals. There are 8 buttons on the GT, and they can only do 1 thing at a time...

Hi Syph,
in manual mode you can still use the assignments per patch: the expression pedal maintains the function assigned in normal mode; as for the CTL pedal and the PH Loop pedal, you will find the "ASSIGN" items at the end of the effect list, by turning the knob all the way to the right.  :)

Syph

Hey If6was9,
thanks man! I remembered the expression (and exp switch), but I was under the impression that the standard patch assignments didn't work in manual mode, where as system level assignments did. When you say "at the end of the FX list", do you mean it's on the rotary encoder in manual mode?

Thanks again man, I'll dig the unit out in the morning and have a gander :)

If6was9

Quote from: Syph on March 24, 2015, 06:08:02 AM
When you say "at the end of the FX list", do you mean it's on the rotary encoder in manual mode?
Yes!  ;D

Elantric

Highly suggest use Gumtowns FX floorboard editor app for deep editing GT100 Control assignments

Syph

Thank you gentlemen, have built some new patches usings assigns in manual mode and will test them out at work over the weekend.

Graham G

Quote from: Syph on March 26, 2015, 01:28:16 AM
Thank you gentlemen, have built some new patches usings assigns in manual mode and will test them out at work over the weekend.

Shouldn't you be working at work ;D

Elantric

QuoteWith only 8 assigns, it's impossible build a detailed editor on the ipad to compensate for the lack of real time control available on the GT, which really seems like the nub of the issue for me.

with google image search, I recently stumbled an a resume of a GUI designer in Egypt  - Omar El Kammar who created this back in 2013 - no other info
https://www.google.com/search?q=COSM&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CeemAO7e3HS-IjjJoGmjjnqq7OhGdwgpDOT6XGTtZglD7CQuSzqRWrmG5umpHH7ORn9R81tJLGdFc7ZgoPqi2MzLNyoSCcmgaaOOeqrsEXE2u-RZ4P4HKhIJ6EZ3CCkM5PoRUsTCtt-K-hUqEglcZO1mCUPsJBF4oaDz59H4LioSCS5LOpFauYbmEW-j4ru1yreOKhIJ6akcfs5Gf1ERQpgDLWAreQwqEgnzW0ksZ0VzthFrvHG0qabKUCoSCWCg-qLYzMs3EdkYZCMu6fUF&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibm7bb9__WAhWnq1QKHb0yBsYQ9C8IHw&biw=1396&bih=726&dpr=1.38#imgrc=Ll9EemrV0VnQqM:

i believe its simply a graphics User Interface  mock-up - not functional
https://www.behance.net/Kammar

https://www.behance.net/gallery/6694055/The-Boss-GearTech-iPad-Application-for-the-Boss-GT-100

http://dropr.com/omarelkammar/76476/the-boss-geartech-ipad/+?p=547763