Godin LGX-SA / LGXT

Started by feloniouspunk, February 01, 2008, 08:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

My 2012 LGX-SA and xtSA's have Ebony Fingerboards

I suspect it varies by model  - but its true many converted to Richlite in 2013

Both my 2015 Godin ACS-SA and 2015 Godin A10 fingerboards are Richlite  - and its not bad

- but Ive never seen a LGX-SA or xtSA with one, those all had Ebony Fingerboards last I checked  - even at 2016 Winter NAMM show

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313072&page=2

Quote-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:32 AM
To: Shanahan, Paul A CIV
Subject: RE: Fretboard material ACS SA USB -- possible counterfeit guitar?

Hi Paul,

The current version of the ACS-SA has a richlite fingerboard. Richlite is indeed a synthetic material. It has sonic properties that are similar to ebony.

Regards,

xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Support Clients / Customer Support
Guitares Godin / Godin Guitars

http://www.godinguitars.com

Check out the Godin Boutique
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinswag.htm

kenact

My A10 has a richlite fretboard and it's hard to tell the difference between that and the ebony fretboard on LGX-SA or LGXT.

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

Been playing my Godin A10 as well - and realizing its a unique instrument that requires a new approach to playing  - but it inspires to create music I would never dream of playing on my Les Paul    - happy i got it during an Amazon sale
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4946.0

Flymo

"...I would be grateful for any feedback from anyone with experience with the LGXT!"

Bought a used LGXT earlier this year - about a couple of years old with the Richlite fingerboard - initial impressions were fine, good looking, well finished, lovely neck, great sounds, integrates seamlessly with GR-55 - but a bit heavy to carry (I'm used to a G3T with GK-2A) and the intonation at the octave was a fair bit off.
No serious problems, then? 
Almost. 
I bought a big, wide padded strap, which helps, and tweaked the bridge saddles to correct the intonation - but ran out of travel! 
Fresh strings were no help, and careful measurement suggests that the bridge is just too close to the neck.  (sigh) 
That's a problem that I do expect on a $50 ukulele, but not on a Godin.

Workaround: I don't use a trem, so the trem springs were tweaked until the block locked, which improved the intonation enough, almost. 
So not perfect, but very good indeed!

I like it enough to really want to do a hex piezo bridge conversion on my G3T, when funds allow.

lespauled

Wow, I've owned a Freeway SA, LGX-SA and an xtSa and have never had a problem with intonation.  Maybe the guy/gal before you bent the posts?  That's the only reason I can think of for that situation.

kenact

Quote from: Flymo on September 23, 2016, 02:27:13 PM
Bought a used LGXT earlier this year - about a couple of years old with the Richlite fingerboard - initial impressions were fine, good looking, well finished, lovely neck, great sounds, integrates seamlessly with GR-55 - but a bit heavy to carry (I'm used to a G3T with GK-2A) and the intonation at the octave was a fair bit off.

It's a shame you bought it used. All Godin guitars come with a limited lifetime warranty. If there was a defect, you could have gotten it corrected.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Singwas

After making some recordings directly to my mac only using the Humbuckers, I m asking myself: for what purpose does anyone use the piezo PU (in traditional way, not using a 13-Pin-cable). For simulating a western-guitar?
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

lespauled

Quote from: Singwas on October 06, 2016, 11:11:50 AM
After making some recordings directly to my mac only using the Humbuckers, I m asking myself: for what purpose does anyone use the piezo PU (in traditional way, not using a 13-Pin-cable). For simulating a western-guitar?

Um, acoustic?

sixeight

Quote from: Singwas on October 06, 2016, 11:11:50 AM

Before I got my VG99, I had the Godin XTSA. The piezo PU went into a Boss AD-8 for acoustic sounds. I  thought it sounded quite good. But the piezo's kept giving me trouble, so I traded both the Godin and the AD-8 in for the VG99.

CodeSmart

I had one issue with my XTSA, too little slack of piezo cables rendering the thinnest E string sound bad. But after giving cables more slack everything works fine. I just love the acoustic sound and this piece of wood is really playable.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

blindjammer2015

Fiddling around on my gr-55 with my LGX-SA a few nights ago, I noticed that for some reason, the sound of the piezo sent down the 13 pin cable isn't quite as clean and rich as the same output sent through the acoustic / mix quarter inch jack. Has anyone else experienced this? I turned off the amp modelling, it still gives a slightly colored sound compared to what I prefer. Unless there is something I am missing with regards to the patch I'm currently using? Loving the guitar so far after 4 months and the acoustic sound through the transducers is fantastic!

supernicd

I have not noticed this, though I don't know that I've A/B'd the 13 pin vs. acoustic/mix 1/4" output for the piezos.

I would use the GR-55 Floorboard editor and make sure everything is turned off:
- EQ
- Noise suppressor
- Etc

And also make sure the volume for the normal/magnetic PU/s is turned up sufficiently on the GR-55 on that patch.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

QuoteI noticed that for some reason, the sound of the piezo sent down the 13 pin cable isn't quite as clean and rich as the same output sent through the acoustic / mix quarter inch jack. Has anyone else experienced this?

yes - I hear the difference  - its because you avoid running Godin mono Piezo signal through  the multiple GK 13 pin interface analog signal buffers in the audio path. Fewer opamp stages in the signal chain  often yields lower hiss noise and improved dynamic range 

blindjammer2015

So at least for the piezo acoustic sound I should run it through the standard quater inch whenever possible? what about the magnetic pickups? If I want to use some of the delays / other fx from the gr-55, does running it through the 13 pin cable take away from it as much as the acoustic sound?

admin

Nothing is perfect, and many folks use the Godin + GR-55 + Amplified speakers  or PA daily on the job just fine

So it all boils down to your needs , experience, and expectations and priorities  - and those are very individual and different for each person.

admin

Here is user Viramundo - using a guitar with RMC piezo pickups into the GR-55

ALL Parts including drums sounds are generated by playing the guitar and one 13 pin cable into one GR-55 - all live.
GR-55 - Steely Dan's Black Cow video with drums from GR55 & utilizing looper
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12499.0

blindjammer2015

Well, fixed some of the problems by adjusting string sensativity slightly, which is good. Still can't get the best modelled acoustic sound, however. Sucks trying to adjust parameters when I can't see the screen! hahaha.

Charles Beatty

Very nice!  I can't tell by the video if that's a Yamaha guitar.  Can you confirm?  Where is the GK controller mounted?

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 05, 2016, 05:18:01 PM
Here is user Viramundo - using a guitar with RMC piezo pickups into the GR-55

ALL Parts including drums sounds are generated by playing the guitar and one 13 pin cable into one GR-55 - all live.
GR-55 - Steely Dan's Black Cow video with drums from GR55 & utilizing looper
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12499.0

admin

It's a Frame Works guitar with RMC Piezo 13 pin system from Germany

FRAME Works MIDI Guitars
https://web.archive.org/web/20070921231346/http://www.frameworks-guitars.com/midi.html
Viramundo wrote>
QuoteHaving owned & tried nearly all the electro nylon guitars available including Godins etc. I recently bought a Frameworks Modern Classic nylon strung guitar, which I believe to be the finest and best sounding electro-acoustic guitar (and it should be for the price!).

This wonderful instrument is fitted with a RMC pick up & a 13 pin output so here I am taking my 1st plunge into the world of guitar synths/midi etc.

I have a Roland GR-55 on order & I feel like a 6 year old before Xmas!

Singwas

Hi! Sadly I lost my Pickup Selector Tip Cap. Seems to be a special inner size. Is there any replacement part? Is there a unversal fitting one on the market?
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

admin

Quote from: Singwas on May 18, 2017, 12:23:42 PM
Hi! Sadly I lost my Pickup Selector Tip Cap. Seems to be a special inner size. Is there any replacement part? Is there a unversal fitting one on the market?

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
      H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

info@godinguitars.com
http://www.godinguitars.com/

RipChord

Hi, new here but a vet V guitar user.
I seem to only be able to find videos of LGX-SA demos where ppl are strumming Poison, or tying some delicate fingerpicking in the acoustic mode.
Can you bang out rolicking pub versions of Don McClean or the Pogues using the acoustic sounds on an LGX-SA like you can on a Multiac? Or does it sound like most electrics do when they are trying to emulate an acoustic; a jangly, pitchy rattling that sounds like six pennies tossed in stainless colander?

Hurricane

Quote from: RipChord on June 17, 2017, 12:39:03 AM
Hi, new here but a vet V guitar user.
I seem to only be able to find videos of LGX-SA demos where ppl are strumming Poison, or tying some delicate fingerpicking in the acoustic mode.
Can you bang out rolicking pub versions of Don McClean or the Pogues using the acoustic sounds on an LGX-SA like you can on a Multiac? Or does it sound like most electrics do when they are trying to emulate an acoustic; a jangly, pitchy rattling that sounds like six pennies tossed in stainless colander?

8)

Depends on the acoustic FX you use on the LGXSA - I have one and the BodyRez presets in my
T.C.Helicon VoiceLive 3X given me great results  . I've only had it a couple of months now .

EZ :

HR 

blindjammer2015

I've definitely found the results to be better than anything I could've hoped for. I was worried about the same, as other electrics I've played that try to emulate an acoustic usually don't come out of it sounding that great. I considered it a sign of good things to come when I was practicing alone in church one day and a bandmate friend walked in and asked me who was playing the acoustic guitar before realizing there was no acoustic guitar anywhere in the room.

On a bit of a different issue... when using patches on the GR-55 that involve my normal PU, for some reason I get a bit of buzzing whenever I lift my fingers off the string... not string buzzes or vibration, but it's definitely electronic. Not enough to pose a problem while playing, but something that I can notice and is a bit of a bother to my own ears. When I put my fingers on the strongs and start playing, it sounds beautiful... soon as I stop touching the strings, however, it comes back. any thoughts as to what this could possibly be?

Elantric

On a bit of a different issue... when using patches on the GR-55 that involve my normal PU, for some reason I get a bit of buzzing whenever I lift my fingers off the string... not string buzzes or vibration, but it's definitely electronic. Not enough to pose a problem while playing, but something that I can notice and is a bit of a bother to my own ears. When I put my fingers on the strings and start playing, it sounds beautiful... soon as I stop touching the strings, however, it comes back. any thoughts as to what this could possibly be?

90% of my guitars do that too - its due to locale EMI / EMF fields

your body is mostly water and a good electrical conductor . and makes less noise when properly earth grounded  = which occurs when you touch the strings which are also earth grounded

Often the noise is reduced if you rotate your whole body 90 degrees - in other words - if you experience hum when facing north - rotate your body to face west or east to reduce hum.

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/7491/noise-while-not-touching-guitar-strings-or-metal-parts

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/15878/pickups-and-selector-switch-stop-buzzing-when-touched/15879#15879

That is normal.

The strings are earthed so when you touch them your body becomes earthed and no longer acts as an antennae and electrical hum is reduced.

Nearly every other conductive part on a guitar should also be earthed for noise reduction reasons.

If a part isn't earthed and you touch it (while not touching something that is earthed..) the hum will generally increase.

If the hum reduction when touching the pups/selector still occurs when you are already touching the strings that would imply your strings are not earthed. Most guitars  run a wire from one of the bridge post holes to earth - to earth ground the strings, so your body will be grounded.