Modern Tremolo Pedals

Started by Elantric, January 19, 2015, 12:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

EHX Super Pulsar

A truly super tremolo with powerful controls and signal routing. Packs a veritable database of great tremolo effects, from classic brownface to modern envelope-controlled rhythmic trance. Guitar trailblazer, Bill Ruppert, is your guide on a sonic safari thru the tremolo chronicles.
QUICK SPECS:
Analog Tremolo with Stereo in/out, mono in/stereo out, stereo in/mono out and mono in/mono out.
Adjustable modulation waveforms include sine wave, triangle and pulse waves, plus 9 rhythmic patterns that may be changed by the user and saved.
Modulation rate set by RATE knob, TAP TEMPO FSW, external Tap FSW or external clock.
The waveform phase for the right channel may be adjusted from 0 degrees to 360 degrees in relation to the left channel.
Modulation Rate and Depth can interact with your playing by adding envelope follower modulation to each parameter.
Expression pedal or CV control over Rate, Depth, Shape, Phase or Volume.
Volume Boost of up to 12dB when DEPTH control is set to minimum position.
Save and recall up to 8 presets.
MODE FSW allows user to scroll through TAP DIVIDE modes, EXP MODES or 8 Presets.
True Bypass using mechanical relays.
9VDC AC Adaptor Included.

Elantric

Sonuus Voluum

http://www.sonuus.com/products_voluum...

More than simply a volume pedal, the Sonuus Voluum is a volume-based analogue multi-effect with a digitally-controlled high-fidelity pure-analogue signal path for guitar and bass.

The Voluum combines sonic performance with flexibility and control. Constant high-voltage analogue power rails ensure high-headroom with low distortion and low noise for maximum signal clarity. Intuitive modulation allows effects to be controlled by the footpedal, signal envelope or MIDI. While other stomp boxes are either on or off, the Voluum gives you glitch-free continuous control to enhance the subtleties of your music.

The effects in the Voluum — noise gate, compressor, LFO (tremolo), volume and limiter — can be used simultaneously or in any combination. For example, you can combine a transparent noise gate with smooth compression for clean sustain, running into an envelope-controlled tremolo and using the pedal to control the overall volume of the effect.

When used purely as a volume pedal, the Voluum offers unprecedented control. Start by adjusting the cut or boost or optimise the feel of the pedal using one of 28 response curves. Then explore the beautifully smooth fades and triggered ADSR sound-shaping envelopes.

With both USB-MIDI and standard 5-pin MIDI connections, the Voluum was designed to be connected! Use MIDI to change presets, control effects, record automation data, or send MIDI clock to sync the LFO. With USB you can connect to the comprehensive Windows/OSX editor to visually configure the effects. Or simply use the Voluum as a USB-MIDI interface.

Now_And_Then

EHX Super Pulsar. Hmmm...

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21939-electro-harmonix-releases-the-super-pulsar

"Comes standard with an EHX 9.6-Volt/DC200mA AC adapter and carries a U.S. list price of $316.73."

Somewhat more than I want to spend on a tremolo pedal but maybe. Well not maybe but probably. It says it will run from an external clock. Like a DAW, I assume. Depends on the street price which I expect to be 75% of list.  Very very interesting. Very tempting, too. When will they be available, I wonder...

aliensporebomb

Re: EHX Super Pulsar: once again Bill does an amazing demo of a new piece of kit.  I love all the crazy leds that reflect what the trem is doing - cool visual aspect of depicting an audio related function.  Spendy, but anything good is.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteIt says it will run from an external clock. Like a DAW, I assume.

http://www.ehx.com/products/super-pulsar
Sadly there is no Manual yet for the EHX Super Pulsar to understand the external Clock Input path

Also know that like MANY EXH pedals there is zero path for using an internal 9V battery

MIDI In is typically necessary for DAW MIDI Clock Sync

If you do need that  - the Sonuus Voluum does support MIDI clock sync
Sonuus Voluum OM is here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13402.0;attach=10934
QuoteLFO/tremolo
Tremolo is a classic effect where a low-frequency-oscillator (LFO) modulates the volume of your
instrument.
The Voluum LFO (tremolo) lets you recreate this effect, while giving you many more options. Smooth
tremolo sounds with multiple waveforms featuring envelope-, pedal- and MIDI-controlled speed and
depth variation, as well as MIDI-clock sync to keep the tremolo in time with your sequencer.

Duo mode gives you two LFOs to let you get really creative!

I love my Sonuus Voluum - it performs several tasks very well

---

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21939-electro-harmonix-releases-the-super-pulsar

New York, NY (January 19, 2015) -- The brand new EHX Super Pulsar expands upon the classic Pulsar tremolo pedals and is packed with features that can make any tremolo effect possible. Its powerful controls let you create classic pulsating rhythms and experimental stutters while the advanced signal route allows for any stereo or mono configuration.

The warm analog circuit of the Super Pulsar can take the shape of a sine, triangle, or square wave while also allowing for unique rhythmic patterns via an on-board sequencer. Further controls over the waveform include Shape, Depth, and Rate. A Tap footswitch and Tap Divide button make it easy to be in sync on the fly. The Mode/Preset footswitch toggles between five expression modes or enables access to eight different effect presets. The envelope section gives you dynamic control over both depth and rate which can increase or decrease with your input signal.

The Super Pulsar gives you even more expanded control with an advanced stereo input/output section and inputs for external controllers. The I/O section let you choose any combination of stereo/mono operation. While using stereo, the sound image can be altered with the Phase Invert switch and the Right Phase control which moves the Phase of the right output relative to the left output a full 360 degrees. An external expression pedal may control over Rate, Depth, Shape, Phase or Volume. Tap/Click In helps sync up with external sources.

The EHX Super Pulsar is a classic analog tremolo with expanded control in a rugged, affordable package. Check out the demo to hear it for yourself. Comes standard with an EHX 9.6-Volt/DC200mA AC adapter and carries a U.S. list price of $316.73.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=19308374

mbenigni

QuoteI love my Sonuus Voluum - it performs several tasks very well

Not least among them, a very simple thing:  it's a standalone expression pedal that sends MIDI via 5-pin out.  Super useful and harder to find than one would think.

Elantric

Not least among them, a very simple thing:  it's a standalone expression pedal that sends MIDI via 5-pin out.  Super useful and harder to find than one would think.

Add that the Sonuus Voluum is delivering swamp thing tremolo ( perfect for early Bo Diddley, Slim Harpo, Tony Joe White) - with its dual LFO's and Win/OSX GUI control app, there are lots of incredibly useful functions in this pedal -   - like foot controlled compressor/ limiter too even works as a USB MIDI Interface for Ipad  / iPhone

I'm meeting the Sonuus design team this Friday Morning at NAMM

mbenigni

QuoteI'm meeting the Sonuus design team this Friday Morning at NAMM

I'll be interested in hearing about that.  I bought the Voluum and the Wahoo during their Black Friday blowout, and now that I'm obsessing over the Kemper again (and seriously tempted by the Profiler Remote) I've considered selling them both.  I think they're both great products, but I can probably find ways to live without them.  If anything I'll keep the Voluum for its extensive utility applications, and sell the Wahoo - I don't use wah etc. very often, and the KPA has me covered there if I do.

mbenigni

Quoteas a USB MIDI Interface for Ipad  / iPhone

Wow!  I hadn't even thought of that!  Thanks.  :)

whippinpost91850

Very interesting, I didn't know that either ???

Now_And_Then

I just read about this on "The Gear Page" in connection with the EHX Super Pulsar:

http://tapestryaudio.bigcartel.com/product/midwife-presale :

The Midwife turns any momentary NO tap signal into MIDI clock. This makes it possible to tap in tempos for DAW programs, keyboards, MIDI capable effect pedals, drum machines, sound boards and light boards (as long as they accept MIDI clock). When paired with the Time Traveler, you can send out pre programmed BPM presets and convert it to MIDI clock. This combination also makes it possible to  send out subdivisions such as 1/4, 1/8th, dotted 1/8th and triplets.

Elantric

Review of the Sonuus Voluum
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/sonuus/voluum/index.html?no_takeover

The Sonuus Voluum pedal is far more than a volume pedal - this is high-end gear that affects "volume" and the signal output in as many ways as your imagination allows.

Ease of Use: Moving in and out of any of the effects involve nothing more than stepping on a switch, moving the pedal, etc. Developing unique sounds is more challenging, or would be more challenging with a typical pedal - and with so many options available on the Voluum, dialing into sounds and fine-tuning them is only somewhat straightforward initially. Sonuus took care of this for the non-gear-nerds like me and with their integrated software. With the Voluum connected via USB to your computer, it communicates to user-friendly and highly intuitive software so that you can edit the Gate, Compressor, LFO (trem), Volume, and Limiter effects easily and with zero experience - you can see and hear the results in real-time and save the patch if desired. Within minutes I was able to tweak some of their factory settings to my preferences. The manual also is spot-on... clear, precise with easy to find information. However, with the software the Voluum is easy enough to use that you likely will not refer to the manual much. // 9

Sound: This stomp box for guitar and bass uses a patent-pending sensor (superior to optical sensors), which means no pots to wear, no scratching, no popping... no noise except the pure signal of your guitar. It also offers a transparent-true-bypass or a buffered-bypass (ideal if using long stage cables when you want to preserve tone). In a nutshell, the sounds are superb because the Voluum is so crystal clear and without altering the original signal, which brings up a vital point: typical volume pedals act like the volume knob on your guitar, altering tone as you ascend or descend in volume; conversely, the Voluum does not compromise tone and lets you cut or boost the signal to any level you desire, including upward of a 30dB boost above normal level - and the Voluum's foot pedal can be adjusted depending on how you prefer to map the volume change. For example, you can have complete silence when the pedal rocks back only half way, or you can increase the volume by 10dB when pressed all the way forward.

This is only the beginning since this pedal also has a Gate, Limiter, Compressor and LFO (tremolo) functions that can be included or excluded in patch settings, all at the same time or in any combination, thus making it highly diverse - more of a multi-effects stomp box than a one-trick pony as its name (Voluum) implies. And more than just the volume can be affected by the foot pedal. For instance, you can adjust how much compression your signal has (and change the attack and release times of the Compression) and even give your guitar a signal boost in the process (ideal when switching from rhythm to lead). Each function also can be adjusted with a wide range of parameters, e.g., determine how quickly the Gate/Expander reacts and how much the signal should be reduced, soft-limit the signal peaks with the Limiter, etc. In other words, take any quality gate, limiter, compressor pedal and think of any editing possibilities and the Voluum can match it. Therefore, although this pedal is larger than many other volume-based pedals, it offers all those additional function that can allow you to clean up your pedal board.

And this brings us to the LFO/Tremolo function, which is the true icing on the cake. Nearly every pedal board has some type of modulation or tremolo pedal, but the Voluum has taken this to new heights. You can have either one or two LFOs (waves include sinusoid, triangular, square, saw up, saw down, trapezoid and random), their measures could be of any value, and you even can alter the dB (volume) of the oscillations involved. Think about it; whether using the pedal or creating a fixed envelop, you have the ability to modulate among hi and lo settings for non-static and very exciting transitions/sounds. The possibilities are almost limitless, from basic 1960s surf music to synth-like effects, which is why the Voluum pedal has 39 pre-sets to showcase both a number of volume and compression applications, along with a few dozen of tremolo-type effects, as well as 100 user pre-set spots for your own custom effects. The Voluum also includes a tap tempo function if you would rather not key-in the BPM settings. On that note, the YouTube video below demonstrates various BPMs over a song that is 70 BPM (some tremolo responses are 70 BPM, whereas others are a multiple of that number, e.g., 140 BPM, 21o BPM, etc.). The Tremolo function does include a "clock multiplier," but I altered the effects manually and saved them as patches:

// 10
Reliability & Durability: Made from heavy-duty cast aluminum, the patent-pending sensor is not of the optical variety, the latter of which are susceptible to dirt and often do not respond as fast or as sensitively as you will find with the Voluum pedal. There also are roller bars to protect the knobs and buttons from foot stomping, as well as a "lock" mechanism so that you do not alter any saved settings while gigging. And although I don't gig my gear, the Voluum can use 9V or high-capacity AA batteries along with a regular power output for uninterrupted signal response. However, I use the USB connection, direct from my computer, so that I don't have to bother with additional adapters. // 10

Overall Impression: When Sonuus brought out their Wahoo (wah) pedal, I was blown away - every conceivable wah variation you could think of, and the ability to customize beyond that and save another 100 pre-sets. The Voluum pedal is no different, and it is far more than a volume pedal - this is high-end gear that affects "volume" and the signal output in as many ways as your imagination allows. Besides what I've described, other functions include a MIDI interface (to send and receive messages and to sync up with a sequencer), the ability to see your patch and metering levels live (gate, volume and compression) and to adjust the LED brightness (great on-stage gear), completely silent transitioning of the effect when using the foot pedal and if switching between a clean signal and the Voluum, low battery indicator and free firmware updating (OSX and Windows). This is one of those five-star pedals that need to be on a wish list. // 10

mbenigni

Steve, did you get this email?  Glad to see Sonuus keeping up with f/w releases for the Voluum and Wahoo.

Hello,

New firmware has been released for beta-testing on the Sonuus Wahoo and Voluum analogue effects pedals. If you have one (or indeed both) of these pedals then please take a look at the new firmware and let us know what you think of the new features, and if you find any problems/bugs in the firmware.

For intial testing, the Desktop Editor is only available for Windows. The OSX Desktop Editor will be available when the releases become official.

As these are both beta (pre-release) firmware I recommend you don't update to use them if you are just about to use your pedals on a gig or important studio session -- just in case!

Voluum Version 1.1.2(beta)

See our forum post for download links and more information:
•Fix problems with MIDI sync. When Sync'd MIDI Start/Continue was being ignored so there could be an offset between the sequence and the LFO. This is now taken into account so the LFO should be much tighter synchronised with the MIDI Clock.
•Added phase control for MIDI-Sync'd LFO. You can now tweak the LFO phase to let it run ahead of, or behind the beat (you have free control of the phase).
•Added new LFO/Tremolo features to let you more easily recreate vintage tremolos:
1."optical" mode has been added which simulates the response of an optical control element (this has a faster attack time and slower release time, whereas a VCA-based tremolo like the Voluum usually has a symmetric response). This can be used on any LFO waveform to give a more vintage feel to the sound, while still allowing lots of experimentation possibilities.
2.a new "classic" waveform has been added. This can be thought of as a "half-sine" wave with a variable duty cycle. This, particularly when used with the new "optical" mode gives very authentic vintage tremolo sounds.

Wahoo Version 1.2.4(beta)

See our forum post for download links and more information:
•Fix problems with retrigger not working (introduced in version 1.2.01). Now LFO retrigger and envelope punch should work correctly.
•Improved detection of transients for detecting retriggers. This has been made much more robust.
•Fix problems with MIDI sync. When Sync'd MIDI Start/Continue was being ignored so there could be an offset between the sequence and the LFO. This is now taken into account so the LFO should be much tighter synchronised with the MIDI Clock.
•Added phase control for MIDI-Sync'd LFO. You can now tweak the LFO phase to let it run ahead of, or behind the beat (you have free control of the phase).

Artist Profile (Alberto Rigoni)

Italian Bass player and composer Alberto Rigoni has been using Sonuus gear for a very long time. This month he is featured in the UK's Bass Guitar Magazine.

What's more, the magazine features a free CD "into the BASS" with a selection of Alberto's tracks. While they are all great, I particularly love "Ubick" and not only because the intro features some great Sonuus Wahoo riffs!

For more info on Alberto, and to listen to the Ubick track, check out this page: albertorigoni.bandcamp.com/track/ubick

Elantric

I did!

Sonuus is very responsive to customer suggestions. I love the Voluum pedal , adding an FX loop in GP10 to use it with normal PU signal chain.

tabache

Hi,
do you know other tremolo so extreme?
I need that for synths, than I want a slow LFO (rate) that controls volume. With longs periods 10 sec, 20 sec, ... etc ... (frequency 0,1 Hz, 0,05 Hz, ....)

mchad

I just ordered a Source Audio Vertigo. Gently used. Bargain.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/vertigo_tremolo.php

For me, trems must have midi clock. I love the chop. I used an Adrenalinn for a long time. Here's a track I wrote with Adrenalinn chopped guitar. Impossible without midi clock from the DAW.

https://soundcloud.com/emale-1-1/serpentine-v11-1

Elantric