Wow, when Gibson is discussed on non music websites it must be bad....

Started by aliensporebomb, November 24, 2014, 11:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm

I have plenty of stories - sadly I cant share them until 2075

But after deep review,  I have no regrets ( I dodged a bullet) when I told Henry "no thanks" back in 2009 when I was  in Nashville being inline to become the Engineering Manager for Gibson Guitar.

Mrchevy

I can see both sides of this. I used to be a senior fleet mechanic for UPS. I worked a set 40 hrs a week, had paid holidays, benefits, all the goodies, and it was a VERY disciplined, black and white policy, work environment. At one point I was offered the opportunity to train and become a supervisor (an entry level management position ). I would have received a salary, a few extra benefits, etc. typical of management over hourly workers. I would have also been required to work 12 hr days, and likely have to relocate every couple of years ( state to state ). They did offer relocation benefits though.

With management comes more benefits, headaches, and responsibility. It's a matter of choice. Married or single.........they both have advantages and disadvantages, it's just a matter of which you prefer more. Ruling with an iron fist can piss a lot of people off, but it makes it fair for ALL who work there, and with a B&W policy, you at least know where you stand, take it or leave it. In my case, I chose to stay single, and eventually decided to move on to a new relationship. Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I don't. Money isn't everything, but if I'd stayed with it, I know my life would be much different now. Not sure if it would be better or worse, just different. All I know is that in the past, the closer I came to management, the less I liked my life. Maybe it's my own B&W policy to question authority  ;D 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

chrish

Quote "Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I don't. Money isn't everything, but if I'd stayed with it, I know my life would be much different now"

Musician philosophy :D sung In four-part Harmony

"The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live each moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret-- or life is yours to miss.
No other road
No other way
No day but today"

From Rent written byJonathan David Larson

Elantric

Quote from: chrish on November 05, 2017, 10:56:13 AM
Quote "Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I don't. Money isn't everything, but if I'd stayed with it, I know my life would be much different now"

Musician philosophy :D sung In four-part Harmony

"The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live each moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret-- or life is yours to miss.
No other road
No other way
No day but today"

From Rent written byJonathan David Larson

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25188006/
I think the biggest fail by far was the Jimi Hendrix Signature Gibson. WTF were they thinking?
http://www.myrareguitars.com/gibson-creates-signature-jimi-hendrix-strat

Quote from: mikebat, post: 25187769, member: 147596Did anyone ever try one, compare it to the Fender Hendrix model...just for kicks?
I got to play both the budget and the Deluxe Hendrix Estate models at the Nashville plant ( was on a job interview) , despite the awkwardness of the marketing, the Deluxe Hendrix Estate guitar was actually very good - had a unique tremolo that felt great and stayed in tune - straight string thru the nut and reverse left handed headstock meant the non speaking string length  for problematic "G" string was minimized  , and even acoustically the Gibson Deluxe Hendrix Estate guitar with its glued in neck ( not bolt on - like the Jay Turser level budget model ) sustained very well and was very resonate - IMHO  among the best Strats I ever played . Sad a varient of the design ( without the flawed marketing baggage ) never went into production
http://www.myrareguitars.com/gibson-creates-signature-jimi-hendrix-strat

QuoteThis is an amazingly bold move by Gibson. The danger of infringement is extremely real. Generally speaking, a manufacture may create a similar product as another as long as the product does not create confusion within the general public.

But many do place a high value on the Brand name on the headstock, and apply their  adhered dogma on their final opinion and expectations

But IMHO this game has been played before by the competition
http://www.vintageguitar.com/1754/the-fender-master-series/

fuzzfactory

one more reason i love my 1991 strat!  ;D

mooncaine

For me, the first warning sign was Gibson's malign neglect of the guitar synth company that made the Photon. I bought one, it stopped working in less than a year, and it was hell just trying to find anyone, anyone, at the company who said anything other than "I don't know." They eventually put me in touch with a grouchy engineer who wanted me to ship it so he could decide how much more than the minimum $300 it was going to cost. These were late 1980s US dollars.

My next experience was better, but too short: they bought Steinberger, and I waited years and years for them to finally produce a headless guitar with sensible, affordable materials and options. They tried it for a while and just sorta stopped. When a product line just peters out like that, you lose access to spare parts and repair opportunities.

I'm all done with Gibson. Their stupidly overpriced guitars break near the peghead too easily, they're too heavy, they're uncomfortable, but mostly they break too easily. No thanks.