Boss GP-10 USB AUDIO/midi

Started by SLICK, March 12, 2014, 04:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

Quote from: glennfin on November 18, 2014, 11:57:45 AM
Gumtown, I just discovered the wonderful world of Unbutu... switched over a Windows machine and I'm never going back.  ;D Unfortunately, I still need to keep some windows machines around to run the boss and roland editors for the VG99, GP-10 and soon to get GT-100...

.. any chance of running these editors with WINE in Unbutu?

If you can't get them going with WINE, you might consider VMWare's free player version to setup a Windows OS inside. I've been toying with it lately to setup an analytics cluster and it works pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BackDAWman

Quote from: Elantric on November 17, 2014, 04:52:27 PM
Apparently Boss GP-10 will receive and act upon external MIDI patch change commands received on MIDI Channels 1 thru 11  -and ignores all MIDI messages on MIDI channels 12-16

I set the GP-10 to channel 12 and that worked nicely! I have had the odd peculiarity happen with it though. Every now and again I get Logic reporting that it has found the audio section of the GP-10 and do I want to use it. It is like the GP-10 has rebooted and set up a new connection with Logic. On one occasion the GP-10 froze! Unplugging the USB connector fixed it...

gumtown

Quote from: glennfin on November 18, 2014, 11:57:45 AM
Gumtown, I just discovered the wonderful world of Unbutu... switched over a Windows machine and I'm never going back.  ;D Unfortunately, I still need to keep some windows machines around to run the boss and roland editors for the VG99, GP-10 and soon to get GT-100...

.. any chance of running these editors with WINE in Unbutu?
The GT-100FxFloorBoard editor has a Linux version anyway.
For the others running under W.I.N.E. they should run, but I don't know if the USB/Midi will pass through from the Linux kernel to the windows emulator, the W.I.N.E emulator runs at an equivalent level of Windows 98.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

glennfin

I'll have to experiment with that when I get everything setup. Someone at work also mentioned "Virtualbox" for running XP inside Unbutu... also Kevin mentioned free player above...

I just discovered this thread which has some interesting info...

Using the GP-10 Tone Studio software with a MIDI proxy
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12704.0

Quote from: gumtown on November 18, 2014, 02:51:24 PM
The GT-100FxFloorBoard editor has a Linux version anyway.
For the others running under W.I.N.E. they should run, but I don't know if the USB/Midi will pass through from the Linux kernel to the windows emulator, the W.I.N.E emulator runs at an equivalent level of Windows 98.

Elantric

The "hurdle" will be the Virtualbox WinXP Must use the official Roland USB Driver too - - and most Virtualized Operating systems can not "see" the outside Linux controlled USB ports - where the Boss GT/GP hardware is physically connected. Likewise the Jack Audio for Linux cant "see" or communicate to Gumtowns Floorboard Editor inside the Virtual WinXP - report your results.

gumtown

If you use "VM-Ware" for Linux and run Windows inside Linux,
You can get the drivers and editors to work,
but you must give the Virtual machine running in VM-Ware absolute control over the USB port (to Linux the USB port hardware disappears),
which defeats the purpose of running Linux.

So using Linux and windows in the same computer, you will be able to do GP-10/VG-99 editing - or - interconnect the USB-Midi,
but not both at the same time.

Running W.I.N.E in Linux is not being a true Linux user anyway, I would opt for a dual boot on separate disk partitions, Linux/Windows.
If you are experimenting with operating systems, I would also look at searching the topic "Hackintosh" and see if your spare computer hardware is compatible.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

glennfin

If I get the urge to experiment with different operating systems, I'll start with one of the Linux/Ubutu distributions. I thought it would be convenient to have all the editors running on one machine running Ubutu but I see now that's it's more trouble than it's worth.

I still have a few spare PC's running Windows XP, I'll use these to run the editors but there are several "issues"

1) Some windows software that runs on XP requires a service pack 3 update. This is no longer available.
Microsoft no longer provides a download/update for service pack 3 and I can't find any other way/source for this (I've tried)  :(

2) I discovered a while back that there's an issue with some USB drivers (roland/boss) installed on XP where if you have installed a USB device multiple times, windows will not allow the device to operate after a certain number of installs. Yes, I have run the roland/boss "clean" program and this does nothing. It's amusing (not really) that roland claims this is due to XP. but I've only had this issue with their drivers/software. I have an XP laptop that I was able to install GP-10 tone studio on and it's working. It previously had the VG99 editor installed but I uninstalled it a while ago. I recently tried to install the Roland Editor for the Fantom XR on this same laptop and it will not work. PS... I've never installed a Fantom editor driver on this laptop in the past... this is the first time..... very frustrating.

So now I use two XP machines, one for the GP-10 editor, and another for the Fantom and VG99 editors......

Maybe someday Roland will provide editor software and drivers that will run directly in Ubuntu.  ::)

I've completely switched all my computer use over to Ubuntu except for these XP machines that run the roland editors..... Goodbye and good rinse to Microsoft.  :P

Elantric

Re WinXP and old Roland Driver removal - - I've had success running Microsoft  "REGEDIT" and search for all instances of the gear you are trying to remove  - ( search on  "Roland" or "Fantom XR") - and just delete those lines of code, save and reboot.

I've completely switched all my computer use over to Ubuntu except for these XP machines that run the roland editors..... Goodbye and good rinse to Microsoft.  :P

What Ubuntu Multitrack DAW app do you use?

I understand Ardour is good
https://ardour.org/

And here's a guide to install Reaper DAW on Ubuntu!
https://alexanderstechcorner.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/install-reaper-on-ubuntu-linux/

glennfin

Oh yea, you reminded me...... I'm still using a windows XP machine in my studio for recording and running Yamaha Studio Manager software. This is a dedicated machine ONLY for recording, using an RME PCI interface card with Cubase essential software connected to a rather large digital console for multitrack recording and editing. It has never been connected to the outside world and I have never had a single issue (funny how that works). No E-mail, no internet, ,no updates, nothing.. it's isolated  ;) I've been using this system for years and it does everything I need it to do and it does it well. There's no reason to change over to a Linux based system right now..... .you know what they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.  ;D

.... and thanks for the tip on the regedit...I thought that's what the roland "clean" program was doing but I'll give it a try. Unless  it specifies "Fantom", I'm not sure which "roland" instance would be the correct one to remove... unless I remove all of them and re-install everything... not sure I want to take a chance on that.

glennfin

Just found this suggestion from Roland..... first time I've seen this procedure for fixing the "10 USB driver install limit" issue....... I'll try it this weekend but it doesn't explain why I was able to install the GP-10 driver and software, but not the Fantom on the same laptop.

http://www.roland.com/support/knowledge_base/201930949

PROBLEMS INSTALLING USB DRIVERS IN WINDOWS
Tags: driver, usb, xv-2020, r-1, ua-5, ua-20, ua-25, ua-1ex, ua-1000, ua-101, r-9
The can be several reasons why a USB driver may appear to not be installed correctly in Windows. Here are some things to check.

You may have installed it but not selected it. Be sure to check Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio and see if the USB Audio Device is selected as the default Input and Output. If it's found there, it should also be available in your recording software.

If the interface does not appear in your recording software, it may be that your USB cable is bad (replace it) or that you have reached a "device limit" in Windows. This is characterized by USB drivers appearing to be installed correctly but not seeing audio or MIDI ports in recording software. The problem is caused by a 10 USB driver limitation in Windows XP/2000.

USB Driver Limitation Solution:

1. Click on "Start" and choose "Run," then type in "cmd" as the command line. Click "OK" and a DOS prompt will open.

2. Type the following commands one line at a time, hitting enter after each:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

3. The Device Manager will now open up, so click on the View menu and choose "Show Hidden Devices." Look through the device manager carefully and note that there are a lot of drivers with a kind of translucent colored icon next to them. These are what are called "ghosting" or otherwise nonpresent drivers your computer is remembering in case you were to ever use the device again later. They can also be drivers that do system functions and are hidden by default, or partially installed or corrupted driver install attempts, all sorts of things really.

Look under these categories in particular:

+Human Interface Devices
+Other Devices
+Sound, video and game controllers
+Universal serial bus controllers

4. Uninstall any driver that shouldn't be there, but pay particular attention to things like these:

USB Composite Device
Composite USB Device
USB Audio Device
USB Human Interface Device
USB Device
Unknown Device

*3rd party USB drivers no longer in use or installed multiple times.

*Edirol drivers you are having problems installing.

Delete these or any driver duplicates and then restart your computer.

5. After you have completed these instructions your Roland/Edirol USB driver should be reinstalled to end the procedure. MIDI and audio ports will then be visible in your software.

Terry50

Hi,   :)
I want to record 6 midi and 6 audio tracks at same time.
I had it set up once a couple of months ago   :P   and now I need to be refreshed.
The pickup is working on all 6 strings.
So far I set up the 6 midi tracks and 6 audio tracks (all on GP-10-1)

I got one mono audio track to record which picks up all 6 strings.

Steer me in the right direction please.  :D

Cheers
Terry

Sacal

Sounds like all your audio tracks are setup on channel 1

Channel 1&2 are the left and right stereo effected channels.
Channels 2 through 8 are the mono channels for each string.

You also need to set midi output setting to mono to get each string on it's own midi channel.

Hope that helps to get you going again!

Terry50

Thank you,
You got me going again.  ;)

Now I have tracks in my DAW and I want to re-guitar them.   ::)

I didn't see anything in the manual for this.
I figure we set up six tracks with GP-10-3 tp GP-10-8 inputs.  On the original tracks, set the outputs to GP-10-3 tp GP-10-8.  But it isn't working.

Help   :D

Sacal

Set USB routing on the GP10 to Re-guitar/Amp 1

The manual is terrible on this subject, considering it's one of the reasons people buy this unit!

Terry50

HI :)

First let's get this settled:  When you change the computer software to a different play patch, then the patch changes on the GP-10 unit (vice versa)
But for the USB routing, they don't change together.   :-\

I'm thinking this may be a clue to why I can't get reamp to work.  :(
I put it on re-guitar/amp 1.

But am I right that you have to 1) set up another track; 2) set the input to GP-10 1 (etc for each string) 3) change the output on the original track from my speakers to the GP-10 1 etc.

Thank you   :D
Terry   8)

Terry50

Hi   :)
USB routing won't change on the GP-10 when the software is changed.   :o
That about says it all except I can't get reamp 2 working either (I can't get any reamping done   ???)  - which I think is related to this software function anomaly.   
Is this supposed to be like this ?   :-\
Thank you,
Terry 

Elantric

QuoteUSB routing won't change on the GP-10 when the software is changed.

Sound like pilot error

Suggest read all prior posts on this same thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10805.25

Terry50

in USB routing diagrams (Owner's Manual, p.13), what does PC stand for if not Personal Computer  ?

If it is a computer,  why have 2 computers ?

I don't get it.   ???
Terry

Terry50

After I have my raw tracks recorded, am I supposed to set the outputs to GP-10 1,GP-10 2,GP-10 3,GP-10 4,GP-10 5,GP-10 6,
OR   
to  GP-10 1,GP-10 2,GP-10 3,GP-10 4,GP-10 5,GP-10 6,GP-10 7,GP-10 8.

When I want to reamp and reguitar, am I supposed to set up tracks to record the new sounds with inputs  GP-10 1,GP-10 2,GP-10 3,GP-10 4,GP-10 5,GP-10 6,
OR   
to  GP-10 1,GP-10 2,GP-10 3,GP-10 4,GP-10 5,GP-10 6,GP-10 7,GP-10 8.

This isn't in the manual somewhere that I missed is it ??

Terry

GuitarBuilder

If you're referring to the two boxes on the diagram that say PC GK 1-6 IN and PC GK 1-6 OUT, then these denote the inputs and outputs  of only one USB computer connection.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Terry50

If you can record dry in 6 channels in standard routing, why have dry-guitar ?

Terry50

Do you route all 6 dry signal outputs in your DAW to the same GP-10 channel 1 ?   or to 6 different GP-10 numbers (3 through 8.) ?   :)

Terry50

Can you have separate raw tracks go to different guitar patches ?    :)

Maybe with several passes.  A pass on each different patch.  I don't know.    ::)

Terry50

Can you reamp a single mono track ?   
I have tried an assortment of different in's and outputs.  I made an extra audio track to receive the new sound. Nothing gets recorded.

Terry50

when you reamp or reguitar a raw track from your DAW, what output do you use ?  :D
Do you use the same number GP-10  for the input of the audio track that you have to set up?   :D