TRAYNOR K4 STEREO AMP

Started by germanicus, April 29, 2008, 02:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

http://traynoramps.com/keyboard/product/k4/

Cabinet Program Power (Watts)   300
Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power)   12-inch/200-watts
Speaker Configuration - HF (Size / Power)   2x 30w 4.5-inch mids/ 2x 20w 2.5-inch HF Drivers
Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB)   20 - 20k
Inputs   4
Channel 1 - Inputs   2 Stereo pairs of 1/4-inch TRS
Channel 1 - Controls   Gain, 3 band EQ, 5 position voicing, Lead/OD Trim
Channel 1 - Switches   Lead/Overdrive, Tube/Solid State input select
Channel 2 - Inputs   Stereo pair 1/4-inch TRS, mono XLR
Channel 2 - Controls   Gain, 3 band EQ
Channel 3 - Inputs   Stereo pair of 1/4-inch TRS, stereo RCA
Channel 3 - Controls   Gain
Channel 4 - Inputs   Stereo pair of balanced 1/4-inch TRS
Channel 4 - Controls   Gain
Master Volume Control   Yes
Input Sensitivity (mV)   Ch.1/2 - 500mV / Ch. 3 - 250mV
Line Out (type / configuration)   Stereo XLR (Post EQ, Pre Master), Ground Lift
Line Out Sensitivity (Vrms)   1Vrms
LED Indicators   Power, Clip Lead/OD
Protection   Thermal
Headphone Jack   Yes (Rear)
Other Features   Unfilitered mono-summed Subwoofer 1/4-inch output
Dimensions (DWH, inches)   15.5 / 23.3 / 19.6
Dimensions (DWH, cm)   39.4 / 59 / 50
Weight (lbs / kg)   57.3 / 26
Specifications subject to change without notice

---------

Im currently using a k4. Its a full range keyboard amp. Very powerful and accurate unit.
Its not cheap, but its been very reliable and sounds better than any other options I tested (Roland Keyboard Amps, Atomic amps, behringers).

Its a triamped combo totalling 300 watts. It has a 12 inch woofer powered by a 200 watt amp. 2 4.5 inch drivers and 2 2.5 drivers, one of each powered by its own 50 watt amplifier (for stereo operation). 4 seperate stereo channels, the first channel having switchable tubes for adding warmth to the sound.

Im able to send the guitar output through the tubes on the first channel, and use the others for synth outputs.
As its a full range setup, what you put in is extremely close to what you get out of it. Theres little tonal coloring so its perfect for modellers such as the 99 or Line 6's various products. The 4th channel is off the main bus, so you can use it as a stage monitor and send your signal out from the direct outs on the back of the unit simultaneously.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Kenmac

Yeah full range keyboard amps really are the way to go when you're using a VG-99 or GR-33. Back in the mid 90's when I was in a band I used to use my VG-8 in conjunction with my GR-33 through a couple of Peavey KB-300 keyboard amps. The guys in the band really liked the sound. The Peavey also had an XLR mic in jack, does the K4 have one as well?
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

germanicus

Channel two has an XLR in. There are multiple inputs on most channels. Channel 1 has 2 stereo pairs of quarter inch TRS. Ch 2 has stereo pair of quarter inch TRS plus a mono XLR input. Ch 3 has a stereo pair of 1/4 TRS and stereo RCA. Ch4 has Stereo balanced pair of 1/4 inch TRS. Heres a link with detailed specs/features

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-K4-Keyboard-Amp?sku=702649

Traynor k4

jkstraw

Just picked up a K2 today!  Thanks for the review on your K4 it got me interested in checking them out (was going to grab a kc-350).

The sound is fantastic - acoustic tones come through really nice.  Great deal for an amp of this quality and power.

jkstraw

Hi germanicus,

Well I finally caved and traded in the K2 for a K4...I just couldn't resist!

I was wondering if you could help me confirm a small annoyance.  I picked it up last night and couldn't wait to try it out - however I have a sick wife and 1.5 yr old sleeping :-)

So I set the gain at ~ 25% and Master Vol. at 2.  I noticed a pretty annoying buzz or muddiness.  It isn't something that would be audible at any real volume, but at this very low volume it is noticeable especially on the lower strings....almost some sort of cross talk.

My routing is as follows:  GK-3 => VG-99 (st.) => RC-50 (st.) => K4 (st)
I was using the first patch (ie. tele clean).

Have you noticed this on your amp?  Would you be willing to try and replicate?  I tried messing with EQ on the amp and bypassing the tube pre but it was persistent.

I never heard this on the K2 I was using - so I was a little concerned I might need to get a replacement K4.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

germanicus

Quote from: jkstraw on May 22, 2008, 07:18:46 AM
Hi germanicus,

Well I finally caved and traded in the K2 for a K4...I just couldn't resist!

I was wondering if you could help me confirm a small annoyance.  I picked it up last night and couldn't wait to try it out - however I have a sick wife and 1.5 yr old sleeping :-)

So I set the gain at ~ 25% and Master Vol. at 2.  I noticed a pretty annoying buzz or muddiness.  It isn't something that would be audible at any real volume, but at this very low volume it is noticeable especially on the lower strings....almost some sort of cross talk.

My routing is as follows:  GK-3 => VG-99 (st.) => RC-50 (st.) => K4 (st)
I was using the first patch (ie. tele clean).

Have you noticed this on your amp?  Would you be willing to try and replicate?  I tried messing with EQ on the amp and bypassing the tube pre but it was persistent.

I never heard this on the K2 I was using - so I was a little concerned I might need to get a replacement K4.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm. I have not experienced this. My k4 is extremely quiet, but ill try and replicate it. If you want to private message me I can give you my cell number or you give me yours and when im down at my rehearsal studio I can look it over.

Just to clarify, you say its more prevalent on the lower strings, does this mean the amp is quiet when your not plugged in? Its a buzzing when you play? Id try and isolate it, make sure its not something coming from the rc50. Have you tried bypassing the VG99 completely and just use the magnetic pickup son your guitar and see if you get the same thing?

Traynor k4

jkstraw

Hi germanicus,

Thank you for the reply - I did as you suggested and bypassed everything.  The buzz is still there (on the decay of lower notes most notably).  But in reality it is not noticeable in a musical context.  I noticed the issue in a very quiet house late at night.  With ANY reasonable volume the issue is non-existent - also brought the K4 over to friends place to compare with his Marshall head and cab (4x12).  In comparison the K4 is dead quiet....and I must say I was able to dial in a very close approximation of his rig in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for the offer - greatly appreciated!

ericmeyer

I have played the VG-99 through a bunch of different scenarios.  I own the JBL EON G2 (15") and they work OK but I think they are flat and too bottom heavy...too much bass.  I've played the VG-99 through a Fishman Loudbox and it sounds great.  Of course it should...it's basically a full range amplifier.  After being disappointed with my JBL's I decided to look at some higher dollar equipment.  So I brought home some QSC 122i powered speakers and I have to say that I can't get rid of my JBL's fast enough.  I hear a huge difference and the QSC speakers represent the sound much more accurately and they have a ton of power and are extremely quiet.  My rig now is my VG-99 through QSC 122i speakers.  I know they cost more but you do get what you pay for.  You get wood not plastic and to me wood always sounds better.

Charles Beatty

Well - based on this forum I bought a Traynor K4.  I have not gigged it yet.  However, I gave it a two hour workout last night.  I'm not quite sure if I like it better than my Tech 21 Power Engine.  I'll update in a few weeks.

Elantric

Any update on the Traynor K4?

this looks like it may suit my needs for a portable stereo powerhouse amp.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=57&id=340

The North American built Traynor K4 is an advanced, extremely versatile stereo keyboard amplifier capable of delivering an extremely wide and varied tone pallet. The flagship keyboard amplifier in the line, the K4 uses three separate integrated amplifiers to deliver true stereo separation of the mid and high frequencies with the added bottom end of a mono-summed 200-watt 12-inch woofer. This variation of the 2.1 speaker configuration allows a stereo image to be felt on stage, inspiring the player with full stereo feel from a single 300 watt combo amplifier.

A single 200 watt 12-inch woofer delivers solid low end while a pair of 50 watt amplifiers drive pairs of 4.5-inch midrange drivers and 2.5-inch compression drivers that deliver high and mid frequency program.

Designed to be one of the most versatile amplifiers in the line Traynor line, K4 offers a choice of tube or solid-state signal path, selectable from a singe switch on the front panel. The tube circuit uses a pair of 12AX7A tubes capable of delivering warmth and to smoothness to the often-sterile sound of modern digital keyboards. When used with a small amount of drive, the tube section can create natural tube compression and recreate the subtle dynamics that can't be properly emulated by most of today's digital workstations.

A solid-state signal path can be selected; bypassing the tube circuitry altogether for those times when the cleanest signal path possible is preferred. The K4's channel one input also features a foot switchable Tube Overdrive control allowing the player to dial in any amount of tube, from subtle warm grit to a full on overdrive.

Versatile inputs allow two stereo sources to be connected to Channel One, while an additional stereo source or a microphone can be connected to Channel Two. Channel Three can handle an additional stereo keyboard or any other source including MP3 player or laptop where additional EQ control isn't required. Channels One and Two have separate 3-band EQs for tone shaping, while Channel One offers an additional 5-position voicing circuit.

A fourth post DI out stereo input channel with its own gain control can be found on the rear panel of the K4. This versatile fourth channel allows an external click track, drum monitor mix or monitor feed from the FOH or monitor console to be played through the K4 without sending that signal back through the DI outputs. This allows the K4 to act as its own powered monitor, without everything you hear on stage being part of the audience's mix.

Built for the rigors of the road, the Traynor K4 is manufactured using a solid, void-free plywood cabinet construction and an all-metal grille to protect the high quality speaker components.

Features

True Stereo Configuration in a combo amplifier format
300 watts (200 watts low frequency, 2 x 50 watts mid / high frequencies)
4 sets of front panel stereo inputs (three channels)
Post DI stereo line input with dedicated volume control (rear)
XLR DI Outputs (Stereo)
Solid Plywood Cabinet Construction
All metal grille & metal bar handles
Operates upright or as a wedge monitor

A video overview of using the Traynor K4 as a Guitar Modeller Amplification device.

Boss GT-10 & Traynor K-4 Video Demo by Glenn DeLaune

QuoteI noticed a pretty annoying buzz or muddiness.

I can report some K4's suffer "rice crispy" distortion from overheated  HF Horn Voice Coil driver diaphragms have been abused

Simple fix,  Read :

Foster / Fostex HF Driver repair (Traynor K4)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9493.msg68334#msg68334

jimeye4

Just curious as to what input settings folks find the best on the
Traynor K4 amp for the VG-99?

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group jimeye4!  :D

I don't use that amp but just to clarify your question, do you mean the GLOBAL output setting on the VG-99, the setting on the K4, or both?

jimeye4

Both would be great,
even just the K4 settings would do though....
Thanks

cynegetic

so is that tube pre on the traynor worth anything with use of the 99?

Elantric

I love the Tube Preamp - I use it as a "Lead Boost" on any patch.

Its perfect for the VG-99!

cynegetic

Does it 'warmify/tubify' as one is lead to believe? How is this amp at the extreme end of the volume section? Good when cranked? How about the 'everyone else in the house is sleepin but I don't want to wear headphones' volume?

germanicus

The tube preamp is noticeable in effect but I wouldnt have the expectation that it would behave as a really nice tube amp does in terms of dynamics when pushed to breakup. Its a nice 'bonus' on the k4, but keep reasonable expectations.
As far as volume, it performs very well at higher levels, easily overtaking some loud drummers whom I play with if necessary. I've never had a want for more volume with it. At much lower volumes I cant tell you, ive always used it in the context of playing with a full band at regular volume.

Traynor k4

mikevandusen

In my experience in using a Hartke KM200 and Roland k350 & k550 the bullet tweeters made any lead sound harsh and tinny - which is why I went to a cube 60. Is the K4 better at sounding better on guitar leads ?

A2theT

I don't need an amp right now but I've had my eye on the Motion Sound KP-100S.

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

guitarnstuff

I have that motion sound amp and am very pleased with it.
Chris

imerkat

You got a K4?! I've been looking for that since i got my GR-55. how convincing is the LP + STACK patch through it?

Can you post a review of the GR-55 + Traynor K4 here?  :D

mbenigni

Quote from:  imerkat on August 16, 2011, 05:28:34 AM
You got a K4?! I've been looking for that since i got my GR-55. how convincing is the LP + STACK patch through it?

Can you post a review of the GR-55 + Traynor K4 here?  :D

I thought about posting a review in the amp section (even though no one seems to read or reply there LOL.)

Quick impressions: it's convenient, w/ lots of inputs, EQ controls, and a great cab that sits in a lot of positions.  It's also easier to move around than you'd expect of a 50+ lb amp.  Tonally, it's not as flat as I'd hoped, with a midrange bump that accentuates source distortion in some ugly ways if you're not careful.  But there do seem to be workarounds (level management, EQ) if you are careful which is why I haven't rushed to post a damning review.  I've had good and bad nights with it, but in the end I decided to keep it.  Or maybe I just didn't make up my mind fast enough.   ::)

My overall sense, though (based on listening to the same patches through my Yamaha HS80's), is that you can get cleaner, flatter power from a mono powered speaker (or two) from Mackie or whomever, and probably get a better overall tone more easily that way.  What you'd lose is portability (especially if you want stereo) and built in mixing and EQ with physical controls. 

The K4's stereo imaging is, as I'd been warned, very subtle.  It borders on pointless, except that it lets you program stereo patches without worrying about phase issues from summing, and it will pass true stereo back out to supporting extension cabs if you need them - all good stuff.  I'm thinking about clamping some sort of mini-gobo to the grill to reflect the output from one of the tweeters - that should help accentuate stereo when the K4 is used standalone in small rooms.

That LP+Stack preset... was never a favorite of mine, so I might not be the best guy to comment there.  :)

Jim Williams

I have been using a stereo power amp wit 2 small PA speaker cabs.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

imerkat

@mbenigni

well i am using the LP+Stack user preset my buddy tweaked for me not the one on the rhythm channel. Thank you so much! as i suspected by the configuration of the speakers; a slit mid-hump.

mbenigni

I wasn't being entirely serious.   :P  Just letting off a little steam because nobody was replying when I needed feedback about the K4, just before pulling the trigger.