General performance question

Started by loopman, August 06, 2014, 08:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loopman

Hi guys, there's someone among you that can tell me about speed tracking and random unwanted midi notes performance comparison between the GR-55 and the TriplePlay? I guess that the GR-55 compared to the TriplePlay is faster with its internal sounds, but slower when controlling softsynths, right?

Let me know,
it's important

Thanks a lot

Spider

1. GR 55 isn't faster with internal sounds. OK it could be on the same level, maybe even some times a little ahed (0,5 ms on high E) but... generally it is slower. See and if you want try use translator http://cyfrowogitarowo.pl/archiwa/56
2. So FTP is faster then GR55 (PCM and MIDI).
3. It is at this moment best guitar to MIDI converter on the market. Speed is only part of  this. FTP is cleanest guitar to MIDI too.

aro

Before getting my FTP, I played two different GR-55's at GC for hours. I liked them, but I was very curious about the FTP, so I ordered it, with the idea that I would return it if it didn't do as well as the GR-55.

I didn't return it.

Tracking is great, and I like the fact that I can use unlimited sounds. At home it replaced my MIDI keyboard going to my PC, and playing live with a cover band I use it through my iPhone. I'm very happy with it.

Elantric

QuoteTracking is great, and I like the fact that I can use unlimited sounds. At home it replaced my MIDI keyboard going to my PC, and playing live with a cover band I use it through my iPhone. I'm very happy with it.

However IMHO - many potential FTP users get wound up with the idea of using the FTP to MIDI trigger Guitar sound libraries - thinking the FTP alone can duplicate the same experience as a DSP Guitar Modeling system (VG-99, GP-10, Tyler Variax)

Sure that is possible  - but many forget that a modern DSP Guitar Modeling system provides several orders of magnitude wider range of picking dynamics, lower latency, and more natural "feel" compared to using guitar strings converted to MIDI to trigger Guitar sounds in your favorite PCM sound library (N.I. Komplete, Sampletank3, etc)   

Effective summer 2014,  the Boss GP-10 is the king of modern DSP Guitar Modeling systems IMHO.

aro

Quote from: Elantric on August 06, 2014, 01:46:47 PM
a modern DSP Guitar Modeling system provides several orders of magnitude wider range of picking dynamics, lower latency, and more natural "feel" compared to using guitar strings converted to MIDI to trigger Guitar sounds in your favorite PCM sound library (N.I. Komplete, Sampletank3, etc)   

Effective summer 2014,  the Boss GP-10 is the king of modern DSP Guitar Modeling systems IMHO.

Excuse my ignorance, but how is the GK-3 pickup used by the Boss GP-10 better than the FTP pickup? I'm not arguing, just genuinely curious since I really don't know a whole lot about all those technologies.

Elantric

QuoteExcuse my ignorance, but how is the GK-3 pickup used by the Boss GP-10 better than the FTP pickup? I'm not arguing, just genuinely curious since I really don't know a whole lot about all those technologies.

Read this thread for details on COSM 13 pin systems.

Roland COSM Reference Library
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

aro

Quote from: Elantric on August 06, 2014, 05:05:08 PM
Read this thread for details on COSM 13 pin systems.

Roland COSM Reference Library
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

Thanks for the link. I still don't understand how the GK-3 pickup differs from the FTP, making it better in terms of latency, but I don't doubt you  :)

Elantric

The pickups are relatively equal (don't get bogged down by thinking one hex PU is faster / better than another hex PU!)  it's what the hex PU's are connected to that make all the difference - With DSP Guitar Modeling systems there exists six A/D's and fast DSP that avoiding all "GTR - MIDI" Bottlenecks and added latency.
All Guitar to MIDI systems suffer longer latency, that is substantially reduced in DSP Guitar Modeling systems  - and a DSP Guitar Modeler will deliver superior results for most stringed instrument players , with the exception of duplicating a Piano sound, where you still need a GTR to MIDI system, or GTR to PCM system

Spider

Aro:

Any guitar to MIDI system isn't good for trigger "guitar" emulation on external (VST/hardware syntehtiser) like wrote Elantric. It is possible but it isn't perfect. From the other side this is very good test of guiar to MIDI systems i.e. how good it mimic itself. FTP is here the king.

For modelling/guitar emulation use guitar modeller like GP-10 or JTV.

aro

Got it, thanks. It's not the pickup, it's the technology behind it.