Acoustic Preamps

Started by TheParasite, September 22, 2017, 07:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheParasite

To date, I've not been but, maybe 75% satisfied with the steel string acoustic guitar patches I've tested.  I run the acoustic out from the Godin xtSA straight to the board.  I was wondering if anyone has placed an acoustic preamp pedal inline (between guitar and board).  If someone has, have the results been stellar...good...so so...?  And, which preamp did you use?

Thanks!

Godin XTSa (a pretty one)

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: TheParasite on September 22, 2017, 07:41:58 AM
To date, I've not been but, maybe 75% satisfied with the steel string acoustic guitar patches I've tested.  I run the acoustic out from the Godin xtSA straight to the board.  I was wondering if anyone has placed an acoustic preamp pedal inline (between guitar and board).  If someone has, have the results been stellar...good...so so...?  And, which preamp did you use?
Thanks!

I use the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI for my (non-hex) acoustic guitar signals.  Very high quality with cool technology and presets.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

TheParasite

Hate to say this, but both of those products are out of my price range.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Godin XTSa (a pretty one)

Cam Grant

Try a ZOOM A2.. easy on the wallet, and you can tailor the sound of your acc to sound like other acoustics, and add revs, delays, chorus, eq, etc...
GT1000-CORE, VG-99, VG-88 , Custom GK loaded Strats, & Teles. Taylor Acoustic, Rickenbacker 330, Rickenbacker 620,VOX AC15, AC10.

mmmmgtr

Quote from: camgrant on October 19, 2017, 07:15:14 AM
Try a ZOOM A2.. easy on the wallet, and you can tailor the sound of your acc to sound like other acoustics, and add revs, delays, chorus, eq, etc...

Agreed! The Zoom is probably the best at a lower price point. I used to own one and replaced it with a much more expensive preamp that definitely sounds better,  but very debatable if it's that much better for over 4x the price.

Their lower cost stuff in general is pretty damn amazing for the price.  I use a G1ON as a cheap,  portable practice rig and can't believe it's only $50...

Elantric

Quote from: camgrant on October 19, 2017, 07:15:14 AM

Agreed - I prefer the Zoom A2.1u with Expression pedal
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar-bass-effects/acoustic/a21u-acoustic-effects-pedal
Its also a USB Class Compliant audio interface for iPad  , Battery powered

And has an array of  DSP Guitar modeling - converts a steel string Acoustic into a Dobro,, Nylon, etc. 

Often sold used for $75

Zoom A2.1u manual
https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_A21u.pdf