Guitar Scale Length - Does it make an impact on COSM Pickup Modeling ?

Started by Elantric, February 16, 2011, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

The purpose of the scale length property is to "properly voice" the virtual COSM Guitar pickups.

All will work fine on the longer scale guitar - but some VG-99 / GR-55 / GP-10 patches with COSM pickup modeling may sound different on your longer scale instrument with GK-3.

As a test, say you own two guitars , each with a GK-3 hex pickup.

One is a Les Paul  guitar with a 24.75" scale (Gibson) with a GK-3,

The other is a Baritone guitar with a 28" scale with a GK-3.

Using the same patch on the VG-99/ GR-55 /GP-10 which is supposed to model the Neck pickup on a fender strat
Performing an A/B test using both guitars the you will hear a slightly different sound between each instrument

There are many other factors too.

Your actual Guitar you use makes a HUGE impact on the quality and character of the Roland COSM pickup modeling.

Think of the Roland COSM Pickup modeling as offering you a wider tonal pallete to work with, to augment the fine characteristics of your physical guitar.

also , if you have a cheap poorly intonated guitar, with dead spots on the neck, rough frets and dead strings - the Roland COSM pickup modelling can not work any miracles to save your bad tone.

----------
read the VGuitarForums created

GR-55 FloorBoard Editor Help
Over 100 pages! (PDF)

The GR-55 FloorBoard Editor was made for conveniently editing internal settings in the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer on most common computers.
This doc covers all operations of the Roland GR-55

Feb. 25, 2015 –  courtesy of Colin Wilcox (Gumtown), Steve Meiers (tekrytor) Shawn Bullins (ShawnB), Steve Conrad (Elantric), Jim Williams of VGuitarForums

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=86

neophytte

My Torero has a 25.5" scale length, but I haven't got my 55 yet ...

I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers

Richard

Elantric

neophytte

It is - I believe the GK-3 is 7.3mm and if I get one of them doohickey's from eBay, I've got about 8mm to play with ....

Cheers

Richard (who must remember to order eBay doohickey!!)

gregjon

Thanks for all the help you guys are providing. I just got my GR-55 today.
I have a Godin Multiac Nylon Slim guitar and a Godin Freeway SA and a Strat with the GK-3 pickup.

Does anyone know what Scale length to use with each of the Godins for setting it up?

Thanks

Greg
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

TheGuitarPlayer

gregjon

Thanks, I tried that but keyboard patches still don't sound right.

Any recomendations for the other settings like pickup types and sensitivities ?
I tried the "Piezo G" for the Goding Freeway SA and "Piezo" for the Godin Nylon Slim but still not working all that well with the PCM stuff. With the sensitivities, I have tried everything between 25 and 65.

The Modeling COSM stuff works great though.

Thanks for your help and thanks for not saying "Read the manual" I have...

Greg
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

TheGuitarPlayer

kenact

Quote from: gregjon on May 29, 2011, 12:20:31 AM
I tried the "Piezo G" for the Goding Freeway SA and "Piezo" for the Godin Nylon Slim but still not working all that well with the PCM stuff. With the sensitivities, I have tried everything between 25 and 65.

The information regarding scale length and pickups is available at godinguitars.com.

The Freeway uses a Ghost system (Piezo G), but the ACS uses an RMC system (Piezo R).

Some people have had better luck using lower sensitivity. You can also try changing the velocity & nuance settings.

Ken
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

aliensporebomb

Definetely true.

I've even noticed differences between instruments of the same scale length.  My Jackson Soloist SL2 is 25.5" scale length with 24 frets for two full octaves but
my strat is also 25.5" scale length and 21 frets and the bridge is at a different position and those two guitars even using the same patches sound different.

I have to actually edit the patches to sound closer to the way they did on the other guitar.  I was getting a bit leary of taking that Soloist out to gigs since it
was neckthru and a limited run version.

The Strat is a bit more replaceable if it gets damaged or ripped off or whatever. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.