FTP directly into Hardware

Started by FreeTime, September 06, 2013, 11:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITL

Anybody have any luck plugging the FTP receiver into the iConnectMidi4+.  I have tried two different ones and neither has powered the FTP receiver dongle when plugged into the USB host
port in the back. 
LGXTSA, Godin Session Custom TriplePlay w/ Fishman Piezo, JTVariax59, Axe-FXII, Integra 7, Motif XS, VoiceLive 3

Elantric

FTP works great on both original black iConnectMIDI and new iConnectMIDI4+
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.msg60216#msg60216
Be sure you have first used a PC or Mac to "Pair" the FTP Controller to the USB Receiver and establish FTP is working 100% and applied all the latest FTP firmware updates first.

How to connect Fishman Tripleplay to iConnectivity USB Host to MIDI conversion boxes:

1) Be sure FTP Controller is "OFF"

2) Insert the FTP USB Receiver into the iConnectMIDI4+'s Left Rear USB Host Port, or the original black iConnectMIDI's front USB Host Port.  You should see the FTP USB Receiver's red LED "flash" and blinking: on / off / on / off / on / off, etc.

3) Now on the Guitar mounted FTP Controller , do not hold any other buttons ( we are using FTP in "Basic Mode")  slide the power switch "ON"

4) This should result in the FTP USB Receiver's red LED stop flashing and now have a  steady Red glow, indicating power is "On" and wireless link connection to the FTP controller has been accomplished.

5) Turn the volume up on the  FTP Controller, and play your guitar - you should see blinking MIDI Data communication status lights on the front of the iConnectMIDI4+.

6) Connect a MIDi cable from the  iConnectMIDI4+'s MIDI Out #1 to an external hardware Synth or Tone module with 5pin DIN MIDI Input, and play - should hear a working Guitar to MIDI system. 

FWIW -

A few other folks have also posted good results using Fishman TriplePlay with iConnectMIDI4+ for 5 pin MIDi conversion here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9050.msg84865#msg84865

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9050.msg81711#msg81711

<kingjahrome wrote>
QuoteAs mentioned in previous posts Sweetwater showed [iConnectMIDI4+] in stock this week, and I just received one yesterday.

It worked out of the box with Fishman Triple Play triggering a late 90's Yamaha PSR530 keyboard, and no computer connected.  Pretty nice!

Have not used any other features yet but I plan to use the iPad integration as well for recording midi and softsynths into Ableton and Sonar.

Here is what Fishman recommends

http://tripletalk.fishman.com/2013/12/using-tripleplay-directly-with-5-pin-din-external-midi-hardware/

Using TriplePlay directly with 5-Pin DIN external MIDI hardware
2013/12/10 FRANK P

Using TriplePlay directly with 5-Pin DIN external MIDI hardware
Standard
This is sort of a follow up to an earlier post regarding using TriplePlay to an external synth via a DAW.  Some customers ask if it is possible to use the product without a computer at all, and it is.  I have yet to see external MIDI modules with USB input (type A connector).  Sound modules like this may exist; I just haven't come across one.  If there is a USB connector on this type of device, it is usually a type B connector, intended to run MIDI via USB out from your keyboard/module to a computer and back from your computer to the device.

To plug in your TriplePlay USB receiver you need a device with a type A connector which can receive USB MIDI information and provide compliant power to the receiver.  Similarly, I have not seen many external devices intended to translate USB MIDI to 5 Pin MIDI.

Nearly all such devices on the market are intended to do the opposite, to translate 5 Pin MIDI to USB for connection to a computer.  But, there is one currently available product I've seen that can do this, the Kenton USB MIDI Host.  I was able to find one in the US on eBay.  It isn't a widely available device, but it can be purchased just about anywhere, if you're willing to purchase online.

Kenton MIDI USB Host
We've tested a wide range of hardware MIDI devices using this product here in our lab.  Just connect your TriplePlay USB receiver to the USB port on the Kenton device and use the 5-Pin DIN MIDI OUT port to connect to the input of your hardware.  Make sure you've completed the pairing procedure and that your USB receiver and controller are paired.  Also, note that you can send some of the same commands to the MIDI IN port on the Kenton with a USB foot controller (for example) that you can with our software.  Patch up/down and program change commands will engage with your TriplePlay controller via wireless.   These commands are detailed in the TriplePlay user documentation.  See the user guide for more information on Hardware Mode, Hardware Mode Patches and Hardware Synth.  You can setup your TriplePlay controller to have the parameters you want, when addressing hardware devices directly, by using our TriplePlay software as a utility and saving these settings to the device.

ITL

Unfortunately, I had poor luck using the iConnectMidi4+ to power the FTB USB Receiver.  I tried 2 different units to no avail.  I ended up sending them back and ordered the Kenton unit and it works flawlessly! It is great to be able to trigger the Motif XS rack and JD990 with the FTP mounted on my JT Variax 59.  I am able to get a great pallet of sounds, Acoustic/Electric thru the HD500 and now with hardware synths.  Thanks to everyone for your advice!
LGXTSA, Godin Session Custom TriplePlay w/ Fishman Piezo, JTVariax59, Axe-FXII, Integra 7, Motif XS, VoiceLive 3

l6podman

I just got the iConnect4+. I plugged the TP USB receiver into the back of the iConnect, connected My Roland 1080 to the std. Midi Ports, Roland Headphone out to the Line-in of my HD500, and .........midi guitar out of my amp.   For gigging I'll send the Roland to the PA Mixer. We use sequences in our band, so I'll just have the sequencer select my patches (also zero out the volume when I don't need the synth.     The only problem I've been having is signal level of individual strings. Balanced them out in the TP software, but direct into the Roland, some strings are louder than others.

GuitarBuilder

My experience has been the same as l6podman.  Going through iConnectMidi4+ to Roland JV-880 and Mac Mini, hardware synth is working fine. The main issue I've run into is the TP software not recognizing the receiver in this configuration (works fine direct into Mac), so no individual string control.  Software synths and DAWs seem to be OK with the connection.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

jasavoy

Figured it out.
I had both MIDI cables plugged in, and the GR33 didn't like that. Disconnecting the MIDI out at the GR33 fixed the patch select issue.

>I am trying to use the iConnectMIDI4+ with the FTP in the host port to control a Roland GR33.
>Sounds are coming out of the GR33 fine. Selecting patches isn't working using the D-pad on the FTP controller.

>Any idea as to what the problem may be?

DisasterArea

Please forgive this blatant spamming, but I thought I'd post this here:

Looks like we'll have a few of these to sell in about two weeks.  FTP is supported and it's fully bidirectional so you can send data to the FTP and receive notes and CC from it at the same time.  In my testing, I've been able to select different patches on my Alesis Micron, which has 5-pin MIDI only, as well as trigger notes, bend, etc.

Elantric

Disaster Area! , Thanks for bringing this product to our attention !

Looks Good  - nice and small!

Spider

Question: will FTP apps "see" reciver or not? It isn't possible for example with iConnectivity MIDI4+

Elantric

Quotewill FTP apps "see" receiver or not

No need for "apps"  - see topic of Thread

"FTP directly into Hardware"

Use the USB Host to MIDI converters mentioned in this thread that allow a path for the Tripleplay to drive old school keyboards  or tone modules  with 5 pin MIDI Inputs   - no computer, no software needed.

The list is here:
External multi-voice hardware Tone Generators for MIDI Guitarists
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5035.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=50.0

Spider

Elantric I know that :)

and I mainly use FTP this way (Blofeld, Motif XS, FB-01) but...

problem with USB to MIDI hosts are that if it even has USB for computer it hide real "hardware" > FTP isn't recognized by Fishman app. And when I would like to use FTP with software I must remove it from USB Host 2 MIDI and put into computer (if I use MIDI4+).

Maybe Ghost Converter is in some way transparent and could be used in the same time with FTP apps and hardware.

Elantric

Quoteproblem with USB to MIDI hosts are that if it even has USB for computer it hide real "hardware" > FTP isn't recognized by Fishman app. And when I would like to use FTP with software I must remove it from USB Host 2 MIDI and put into computer (if I use MIDI4+).

I doubt you can solve that easily - perhaps a "USB A/B Switch?
use unit below and plug in the FTP Receiver, then add two typical USB A to B Printer cables - one to USB Host box (kenton/iConnectMIDI/DisaterArea), the other to PC/Mac for FTP Control Panel configuration  - use front panel A or B switch to select the current FTP operation mode you seek.

Spider

Nice! Personally I don't need this -- use other solution -- but it is worth to know.