FTP initial impression (in comparison to GR55)

Started by Headless68, September 09, 2014, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

In a word - Brilliant
It's not just the speed of tracking it's the musicality of what it delivers - in short you can play more like you are just playing guitar and it copes pretty damn well
Even hammer on / pull off runs including going to open strings trigger and track - will still use the 55 for guitar / alt tuning / cosm but FTP will be my synth driver for sure

If you were thinking about it - Dio it :-)

Phil

shawnb

Yes. The FTP feels organic, natural & fluid.   And you don't need to adjust your playing style... as much....

Comparing the GR-55 to an FTP is kinda like comparing a Jeep to an Audi v6 engine, though.   Great engine, but useless on its own, you still gotta build a working car around it.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Spider

Add a classic-like synth to FTP and feel it on guitar :)

Headless68

Out of interest - is it worth going full versions on the synths that come with the FTP?

Elantric

And over past 5 years I have upgraded to NI Komplete Ultimate ( too much money - but good array of tools for music)

Last Spring I updated to IK Total Studio when it was on Sale @ $199 - but that only had SampleTank 2.5

Then i recently upgraded to IK SampleTank 3

The Upgrades during holiday sales are the time to buy - sign up for the email list for IK Multimedia and Native Instruments

and look for sales at:

JRR Shop
http://www.jrrshop.com/sale-specials?limit=54

AudioDeluxe
http://audiodeluxe.com/

FrankG

to Headless68,

I have a Yes Vote on the SampleTank 2.5 to Ver 3 upgrade, partially because I really don't have the will-power or time to become a "Super-User" of a half dozen Plug-ins that have varying degrees of duplication, but all with slightly different ways of accomplishing the same end.

The Full Library with ST3 is far greater than the sum of all the "Bundled" Plug-ins that come with the FTP system... Though in all fairness if you're looking for heavy "Electro/Synth" voices that are easily "Tweakable" the NI Reaktor fair is hard to beat (Not really my thing though)...

Frank
the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

Headless68

Further update - so impressed with FTP I have sold GR-55 and bought a larger SSD drive and NI Komplete with rig kontrol3 to perform midi foot switch duties ....never expected that one after at least 25 years of Roland gear - that's how good I'm finding FTP though
Next - Mac book pro :-)