VG-88 wave synth sound clips?

Started by susbemol, May 25, 2012, 07:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susbemol

Hi guys,

First post here! :)

I am considering picking up a second-hand VG-88 v2 and was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of some "wave synth" sound clips? It's one of the main reasons why I'm interested in it.

Thanks a lot

arkieboy

Hi susbemol

Here are a few 'synth' sounds from the VG88.  They are limited, but I really like them - they are pretty organic and grungy and a perfect foil against a modern keyboard synth.

Hope this helps

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

Nice examples - one of them was a ringer for my old GR-100 system, some others were highly unusual - really cool!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

Mostly just presets I think ... but I could well have tweaked them :-)

The first one is very old school GR100/300 - I think its called AnalogGR or something like that - didn't fiddle with that.  Another one I use a lot is a preset call 'Holdsworth' which I didn't play here.

One of the sounds is a 'Horn' wave that I play with travis picking which I originally played on a GR700.  This sound is not much like the one I used on 'Gaia' back then but its nice that you can get some simple syncopated picking parts going and sound a bit more like a keyboard player.  The 88 is more forgiving than the 700 ever was.

The last sound is an impression of a GR700 sound Mike Holmes used on 'No Love Lost' the iQ album 'Nomzamo' - I'm in Paul Menel's band - the then singer of iQ - and we kick around with a couple of other ex-iQers - John Jowitt (currently in Mick Pointer's 'Arena') and Martin Orford (with John Wetton when John plays his solo material).  Because the JX3P engine in the GR700 was pretty basic, a lot of the non-imitative 'synth' sounds can be coaxed out of the 88 in a slightly fuzzier form but with bags more expressivity.

Someday I'll pick up a VG99 when I'm a bit more flush but I need to see a luthier about a couple of my guitars and I really need to replace my Marshall 9100 power amp with something lighter before my back gives out.  That's if the petrol bills from rehearsing don't bankrupt me first!!

Steve

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

Cool!  Pretty well acquainted with the IQ and side-project spinoff bands - welcome to the site and enjoy.  Something about these devices that seems to demand a progressive approach for some things!

Kevin M

Wave synth aside the VG88 is also a pretty decent unit for its other capabilities (modeling, etc).

susbemol

Hey Steve, nice to see you in this forum too. :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated.

Since I posted this thread I've got a great deal on a GR-55 and I've been having fun programming it. The modelling stuff can be very useful (especially the Analog GR model (GR-300)) and the GR-55 will also be used as a backup to my regular rig.

arkieboy

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 11, 2012, 08:49:12 PMSomething about these devices that seems to demand a progressive approach for some things!

There are lots of us on the progressive scene in the UK using VG/GR: Mike, of course, from iQ (VG99); Simon Godfrey from Tinyfish (VG99, GR33); Nick Sheridan from Primitive Instinct (VG88)... I'm sure there are more :-)

Steve

arkieboy

Oh, and nice to meet you here susbemol.

And indeed there's lots to like about the VG88 kmaus10.  I don't really use the electric guitar modelling live at the moment as I have a nice guitar rig so the 88 fills in for acoustic guitars, synths and the occasional harmony part behind my regular guitar. 

However, in the studio the '12str 5th' - a 12 string strat with the top four strings tuned to a 5th and the bottom two to bass - found its way all over one of the tracks on Paul's new album.  And I knocked up a quick crunchy Rick 12 string through a Marshall stack for a rich rhythm sound that didn't have to be double tracked ...

It's really that kind of thing for which it excels for me

Steve

drjoness2001

Working side-by-side with my GR-300, I created the VG-88 patch heard above that is very close to the original GR-300 sound, and tracks equally well. This is with version 2.0 software on the VG-88.

I used a custom built splitter, so I could play the GR-300 and VG-88 at the same time. Save the file linked below, "GR300.SYX", and open it with the program VEditor.

In addition patch number 1-1, "Pat G300," you will find patch number 1-2, "Slo G100," a square wave type GR-100 patch.

aliensporebomb

arkieboy

Thanks, Wayne

That will definitely get used :-)

Steve