Zoom MS70 CDR Question

Started by Redvers, July 04, 2017, 01:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redvers

Hi, so I've been playing around with the aconnect feature in Linux. Connected a GP-10 to a GR unit no problem. I thought I'd try the same with a Zoom MS70 CDR and a Line6 M5. I can see the m5 as my USB to midi cable, but I'm not sure the zoom is appearing. All I want is for the one to send a program change to the other. Do I need to start the pedal up in a certain mode or open some zoom software first? Is there a way using python or the terminal to get the pedal talking quickly?

sixeight

So the MS70-cdr does not show up when you type aconnect - l?

It does work for me, though I haven't tried it with the new version 2 firmware on the Zoom.

sixeight

Just did a test. Firmware v2 works fine with aconnect. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe a faulty USB cable?

Redvers

I can see a few devices, midi thru, timer and announce? Do they sound familiar? I tried connecting various ports and nothing worked. Thanks for looking into it so far.

sixeight

Quote from: Redvers on July 04, 2017, 11:33:49 AM
I can see a few devices, midi thru, timer and announce? Do they sound familiar? I tried connecting various ports and nothing worked. Thanks for looking into it so far.

You should see ZOOM MS Series in the list. That is the one I see. I then connect with:

aconnect 'Teensy MIDI':0 'ZOOM MS Series':0

Where Teensy MIDI is the name of my VController MIDI pedal. To connect the GP-10 midi out to the zoom type:

aconnect 'GP-10':0 'ZOOM MS Series':0

Redvers

Ahh yes, I'm not seeing that at all. I will retry it somehow. Thanks.

sixeight

Maybe this guide may help you.

https://github.com/sixeight7/VCbridge/blob/master/RPi%20full%20install%20VCbridge.txt

It shows the steps to get a raspberry pi model b+ ready for serial midi. This is the setup I developed and use. Most of the commands are for the UART on the GPIO of the RPi. You won't need them...

Redvers

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I got it working. The secret? No idea, just used a more up to date os I guess? So I have a super old Yamaha midi foot controller controlling s USB device which is good.

I can't get it to work on reboot but that's an issue for another day. 

sixeight

Quote from: Redvers on August 23, 2017, 12:43:11 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I got it working. The secret? No idea, just used a more up to date os I guess? So I have a super old Yamaha midi foot controller controlling s USB device which is good.

That is great...

I can't get it to work on reboot but that's an issue for another day.

That is a pain to get working properly. I have just updated that part of the VCbridge code as it wasn't working again...

Redvers

I'm not 100% if I'm doing it in root or as a user, also i haven't tried delaying the command, it might work if I let the pi find the devices first maybe? It's all good fun.