Why the big price disparity on the GK3 Internal Kit?

Started by BMapson, July 10, 2016, 08:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMapson

I'm pricing out the parts for my build.  The guitar is already on the way.  Why the big price differences on the internal GK-KIT-GT3?  Here in the states, I've seen prices anywhere from $229 to $339.  Anderton's in the UK lists them for £75.00 (about $97 using today's exchange rate).  Why the big difference?  What is the best place to order?

stublito

+1 on Anderton's. I'm in Hawaii and it arrived very quickly, like 5 business days. My humble guess on the price difference:

DIY electronics has always been big in the UK. I would guess that Roland UK views the GK kit as a sales driver for the synth boxes, therefore priced at perhaps cost plus 30% (just a guess).

Whereas in the US, the GK kit is probably categorized as a luthier accessory, any one who knows retail knows accessories have the highest markup (prolly close to 300%).

Stublito

BMapson

Thanks!  I do appreciate the input.  It was mystifying to me.

whippinpost91850

I live in the USA and ordered it from Andertons. Best price and got it in just a few days

whippinpost91850

I used to own a Music store foe 20+years and can guaranty no onis getting huge markups on GK3s here in the states. I think it's more Roland US thinks they are worth way more

vanceg

I've ordered my last few from outside the US. 
Right now I've switched over to using the CycFi Nu Modular system, but it's about as expensive as a US priced GK-3 kit and takes a bit more work to get running.  If you want to up the quality and use a pickup a little more suited to uses beyond just working with Roland 13 pin gear, consider the CycFi.  If you really just need a GK-3 kit, it's a really good way to go and ordering from outside the US has been very easy for me at least three times.