VG-99 - Metallica - That Was Just Your VG !

Started by A2theT, September 13, 2009, 11:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A2theT

I made these patches to challenge myself to make something that sounded great whether I use my GK-3 or just my straight regular guitar.  This definitely sounds great either way.

For the dirty patch:
CTL1 will turn on the second guitar once the verse riff kicks in at the beginning and CTL2 will turn on the harmony for the interlude after the solo.

For the clean patch:
CTL1 to turn on the phaser for Kirk's little part at the beginning.  (I struggled to try and get that sound. so if anyone has can take a stab at it, be my guest).

I've included an mp3 sample where I just recorded the guitars quickly using Sonar and the drums are someone else's midi track I found.  It really doesn't work that well as this song has a loose tempo feel so tight midi really kills it.  The drum sound is Toontrack Superior Drummer 2 and the drum patch I used is called Slayer.  It sounds pretty close, kinda Slayer Reign in Blood'ish but I chose it because I think the snare is bang on!  Anyway, I just pulled out snipits from the recording to give you a quick idea of the sounds...

Important note, this was recorded direct via VG-99 USB but I made the patch by listening to the sound live through my Crate Poweblock and Marshall 4x12 so your audible results may differ. 

Hope you like it. ;D

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

DctN

To rec it's really good but in my ampli don't work the same ::) I must to change my ampli!!

A2theT

hmmm.... well I recorded it via USB straight into the computer with no amp.  But when I play it through my Crate Power Bock amp and my Marshall MG4x12 cabinet it sounds great too!  With my GK or even with just a straight guitar.  BTW, the guitar I used for the recording was a Jackson Kelly (like Marty Friedman's when he was in Megadeth.  It has Seymour Duncan's in it)./
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars