Rockin' the suburbs

Started by Beeboos, December 09, 2014, 10:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeboos

Greetings, guitar bretheren...
  Part time lurker & first time poster here. First, let me say that you guys are WAY smarter than I will ever be about guitar synths.

I'm an old school rock guitarist that plays in a local cover band. I've basically played most of my life through a Marshall 1/2 stack and a tube screamer. Maybe a couple of other stomp boxes for delay effects. I like to keep it simple. I eventually picked up a Boss GT-10 effects processor about 6 years ago because of flexibility and compact setup for live gigs. More recently I bought a GR-55. I got the synth for home recording. I've got a Roland VS-2400 CD home studio. I've taught myself various instruments over the years and I enjoy writing songs that nobody will ever hear in a little room I like to call my "studio".  ;)

I'm blown away by the depth of knowledge that the people in this forum have on guitar equipment. I've never been a gear head, so to speak. So thank you for sharing your knowledge. It's much appreciated.

If you would indulge me I could use some guidance on these topics...

1) Inputting guitar into tablature software. Can I run straight out of my GR-55 into <insert software or solution of your choice here> and just play? What are my options? I'm basically trying to capture ideas somewhat spontaneously instead of writing them out on a napkin with lines drawn on it, which is my current high tech method.

2) Some of my GR-55 synth patches have a noticeable delay before they activate. I've used the synth a couple of times live and I really get a kick out it. However, certain patches (all stock from the factory) have a slight lag before they engage, unlike the immediate response of a stomp box. This results in an awkward look from the bassist live. *&^%$#@ bassists! I'm sure it's something simple and your smacking your head, but hey, did I mention I'm not a gear head?  ;)

Yes, I'm willing to learn and read. No, I will never be as smart as you on this topic.

Thanks for indulging and surviving this post.

Bobby

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Beeboos!  :)

Beeboos

And suggestions? Anybody? Bueller?

Kevin M

For 1, you can achieve this via MIDI note data transmitted from the 55. It might not be the most accurate, but it will get you in the ballpark. There are many choices for software, but I'm not familiar with the notation stuff. For 2....yes, a noticeable delay when switching patches, unfortunately.  Try searching the forum for known workarounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elantric

Quote2) Some of my GR-55 synth patches have a noticeable delay before they activate. I've used the synth a couple of times live and I really get a kick out it. However, certain patches (all stock from the factory) have a slight lag before they engage, unlike the immediate response of a stomp box. This results in an awkward look from the bassist live. *&^%$#@ bassists! I'm sure it's something simple and your smacking your head, but hey, did I mention I'm not a gear head? 

There are different layers of "latency" - the known GR-55 200 milliseconds of silence upon each and every patch change is a big deal breaker for some

Learn how to create GR-55 patches that employ Control Assignments - so you stay in the same patch for the whole song and get 4 different sounds under CTL Pedal and Expression pedal controls.
GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

Also the GR-55 Guitar to PCM and Guitar to MIDI suffer delayed latency that sound "behind the beat" of where you are picking.  If you cant adjust and learn to play ahead of the beat during live performance, Then you need the lower latency systems - You Rock Guitar or Fishman Tripleplay or older Axon. 
FWIW-  The older "VG" series employ 100% 6 channel COSM processing on their sound generation and have near zero latency.

Quote1) Inputting guitar into tablature software. Can I run straight out of my GR-55 into <insert software or solution of your choice here> and just play? What are my options? I'm basically trying to capture ideas somewhat spontaneously instead of writing them out on a napkin with lines drawn on it, which is my current high tech method.

Sure

There is info that goes into details on doing that in the one GR-55 thread every owner needs to read.

GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

Suggest search "Guitar to Tabulature" 

Sonar and Logic-X  have limited transcription tools  built in

Too many other popular choices for "MIDI Guitar to Tabs / Sheet Music " Sibulius, GuitarPro, Notion, Progression, TablEdit
http://www.midiillustrator.com/

Capturing playing in either Guitar Pro 6 or TablEdit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8198.msg58210#msg58210

I prefer using my Guitar with a Fishman TriplePlay  or You Rock Guitar GenII  - a bit more accuracy than Roland/Boss hardware.

QuoteAnd suggestions? Anybody? Bueller?

Learn to Use advanced search and find the info you seek

Advanced Search Tools
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2978.0

As this is a self help volunteer user to user forum with zero affiliation with Roland Corp.

The story of VGuitarForums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7912.0

Beeboos

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Elantric...
  Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me such an in-depth response. I've read a ton of your posts on here and I just want you to know it's really appreciated.

Is the latency issue because it's switching algorithms? That would make sense to me and why you're suggesting staying in the same patch. I'll look into that solution.

For tab I've looked at guitar pro and sibulius so far. What do you personally use for tab? I'll look at the others you mentioned, as well.

Thanks again, Elantric. Let me how I can send some good karma your way.