FTP in Logic 9

Started by sunbambino, November 23, 2013, 03:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunbambino

Be so interested to have some views from this board re running FTP in Logic 9.

When I started using the plug in Logic I instantiated it via an Instrument slot. Then I noticed certain functions (like layering two sounds across the whole fretboard) weren't working so I contacted Fishman and they told me to call up FTP not via AU Instruments (Tripleplay) but via AU Midi-controlled Effects (TripleplayFX).

This solved the layering problem.

Is this the way you peeps are rigging FTP?

sunbambino

Bad info I'm sorry to say. I am new to this controller, love it to bits, so much to learn :-[

I cannot get FTP to layer at all in Logic 9, instantiated either as Instrument or Midi-controlled Effect (as recommended by Fishman)

However, layering does function perfectly in Logic X and FTP seems to work as an Instrument, which is gr8.

Anyone got any tips for Logic users?

Does FTP run at its best in the sequencing package that came in the s/ware bundle, I forget its name.

sunbambino

Reason I'm so keen to have FTP layer inside Logic/Mainstage instead of running it Standalone is because of the lack of effects in FTP as it stands, Fishman techs agree that the mixer section really needs slots for FX inserts and maybe a way of adding FX to the entire trad/synth patch. Something for the future?

So using FTP live I'll be running it through Mainstage 3 I reckon.

Haven't yet fully explored the details of midi-recording a layer in Logic X. I suppose the simplest way, not ideal, would be to bounce in place the layered part and un-instantiate FTP so as to move on. Or freeze it?

Anyway, seems like a bit of a monologue at the mo so I'll abandon this thread, if no-one has any light to shed, comments?

shawnb

I don't use Logic, I I use SONAR, so I'm not sure what the best thing to do inside Logic is...

I have found, however, that the '2nd track' method works best for me when using my DAW, and I suspect this will be the case for any DAW. 

This has been doc'd elsewhere, but basically, you create a track with your FTP vst in it.  Create a 'hardware synth' patch & load it.  This instance of FTP will pass configurations & parameters to your FTP. 

Your synth tracks become normal synth tracks, and you use the FTP MIDI input port to directly feed the synth.  There is little need to have a FTP instance for each instrument; just use the MIDI generated by the FTP to drive your synth. 

The benefits of this are:
  -  All MIDI data, PCs, CCs, can be xmitted to your synths directly from your DAW.  You have optimum control over your instruments. 
  -  MIDI clock is controlled by your DAW and can be passed directly to your synths. 
  -  This works very easily in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode.  You don't have to worry about 32/64 or j-bridge, let your DAW deal with it. 
  -  Any DAW proprietary synths work, because they're being hosted by your DAW.
  -  It's very simple & has low memory usage.  You don't have a bunch of FTP instances.

The downside is:
  -  There is only one FTP instance running, so if you desire different configs for different instruments, you need to change the settings on your single FTP instance before working on the other tracks.

Hope this makes sense,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

sunbambino

When you say 'Create a 'hardware synth' patch & load it' I assume you mean Hardware mode.

This what I need to look into, if I have wasted time by not checking into an area which has been well-discussed here, sorry, and thanks for taking the time to explain. I thought Hardware Mode was just for addressing external midi instruments.

shawnb

Hardware Mode and a Hardware Synth user patch are two different things. 

Hardware Mode is the mode that gives you access to user patches when you do not have an FTP app or vst running. If you are running the FTP app/vst at all, then you are NOT in HW mode. 

HW mode is intended to give you access to all FTP features, such as mono mode, when the FTP app isn't available, e.g., whenever you aren't using a PC.   

For more on hardware mode, look here:
   https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9625.0

A 'Hardware Synth' patch is what is created in FTP when you select 'Hardware Synth' as your instrument within the FTP app/VST.  See the attached picture.   

This special type of patch enables you to define a set of FTP configurations that are not tied to a specific VSTi (soft synth).  This is useful, for example, for playing external hardware synthesizers thru your FTP/PC.   

If you want to use the FTP without a PC (in any mode other than 'Basic mode'), you must create your desired 'Hardware Synth' user patches, load them to the FTP controller, then invoke HW mode when you play. 

But 'Hardware Synth' patches can also helpful when driving software synths, e.g., when using the 'second track' method described above. 

Shawn

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

sunbambino

Very good clarifications, extra relevant, cheerz

Haven't really got the point of trying to hook up cc pedals with FTP yet, expression and bend etc yet, I yearn for the simplicity of my Axon II backpanel, just plug in a pedal, callibrate and BEND.

Could Hardware Mode make it any easier to achieve, say, cc'ing modulation?

Sun B

Bolder1

Hi All,

I would like to interface the FTP into Logic 9 and record into a virtual instrument AU track. After recording into that track, I'd like to look at Logics event list and see 1 midi channel per string (6 channels). Right now the FTP shows everything as channel 8.

The user guide says "See "Boot in Hardware Mode" for details on how to use basic MIDI controller mode with six separate MIDI channels, one for each guitar string." I have had no luck with this procedure.

Essentially I want the FTP to show up in my event list after recording just the way a Roland guitar converter would in poly-mode. I've done it with my GR-33 and it gives me what I am seeking, but the tracking does not compare to the FTP. How do I get the FTP in the correct mode to do this?

I produce sample libraries and have a banjo library for Kontakt (.nkm) and the EXS, where each string is set to channels 1-6, and I would like to test making various midi files for users.

I've been communicating some with Frank at Fishman, but it has been a bit scattered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
Dennis

shawnb

Quote from: Bolder1 on February 10, 2014, 11:29:04 AM
Right now the FTP shows everything as channel 8.

The channel 8 data is transmitted by the FTP device and (I'm pretty sure) is used to communicate between the controller and the FTP application.  I've only seen the channel 8 data when in Hardware Mode.

The user guide says "See "Boot in Hardware Mode" for details on how to use basic MIDI controller mode with six separate MIDI channels, one for each guitar string." I have had no luck with this procedure.

You should only need Hardware Mode if you are trying to run the FTP WITHOUT an instance of the FTP app or the FTP VST running.  You can run 6-channel mode (aka MONO) without booting the FTP in Hardware mode. 

Any suggestions?

I would try the following:
(1) Use the 2nd-track method described above in Logic.
(2) Create a 'Hardware Synth' patch in FIRST USER SLOT on your FTP.  This patch should select MONO as the MIDI mode.  Select this as your patch within FTP. 
(3) Connect the FTP normally and turn it on.  (Do not boot in HW mode.)

Let me know if this works -

Bolder1

Shawn,

Thank you for the fast response - one thing I'm confused about - when you say -
Quote(1) Use the 2nd-track method described above in Logic.

What are you referring to?
Thanks - Dennis

shawnb

Bolder1

I thought I'd wait to try the "two track method" since I had an appointment set up with Frank at Fishman for him to operate my computer remotely to set this up, I decided to wait. He created a different Logic Environment (which to be honest I don't really fully understand what it is doing), but it DOES work and give me what I was looking for.

See the attached screen shots.
Dennis

keg8605

^^^This seems like the work around I need for mainstage/logic.  Hopefully they can help me out.