RC-300 and controlling each loop's volume question

Started by caruso, March 14, 2014, 10:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caruso

Hi,

Before buying this unit, I'm trying to find out if I can control each of the 3 loop's volumes individually with either utilizing the on board expression pedal for one of them and adding two other expression pedals for loops 2 and 3 or, by assigning each loop to either the left out, right out and one of the sub outs and controlling each out with volume pedals. It would also be helpful if these were global settings for me, so they were consistent for each memory patch. I can't see anyone bending down and using the volume sliders if this unit is on the floor. Anyone try this?

Cheers

Syph

Hey man,

The first idea (using built in expression plus 2 externals set to control loop 1/2/3 volume) should work fine. I think the volume pedals would work as well, but don't quote me on that. I know there are a few guys around these parts that have sussed out the panning/stereo behaviour, I doubt it will take too long to hear from them  ;)

caruso

Many thanks for the info!

I couldn't find any reference to this in the user's manual. I do want to add that my ideas about controlling the volume of the individual loops must not affect the input of my incoming signal as well as the output of the incoming signal. Maybe then, my incoming signal must be assigned somehow. Only concerned about the volumes of the loops when they are engaged. I know, I'm fussy!

Cheers

Cricket

Quote from: caruso on March 14, 2014, 10:50:03 AM
Hi,

Before buying this unit, I'm trying to find out if I can control each of the 3 loop's volumes individually with either utilizing the on board expression pedal for one of them and adding two other expression pedals for loops 2 and 3 or, by assigning each loop to either the left out, right out and one of the sub outs and controlling each out with volume pedals. It would also be helpful if these were global settings for me, so they were consistent for each memory patch. I can't see anyone bending down and using the volume sliders if this unit is on the floor. Anyone try this?

Cheers

It seems to me that either of those options for volume control of the three individual  tracks within a patch is possible.

I don't think there is a way to make these global settings though.   You would (as far as I can see) have to set this patch by patch.

Another thing, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I do not think you can save a patch with only settings info.   I tried to do this for a patch using shawnb's Frippertronics workaround and couldn't get the unit to do it.  What I had to do was store a few measures of silence on one track... then the settings saved.

This worked for me for my purposes.  Not sure how this might affect you.

At any rate, this is how I think it works.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else will chime in.   ;D

caruso

Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing I can address my volume needs with the RC300 but I had a feeling about the global settings not being able to do what I wanted them to do. It's the same with my old GP-100, which was relegated to studio use only, because of the lack of midi variance. Seems like a lot of work and planning just to do a live show. You would think by now Roland would be more attuned to its user's needs after all these years but I guess not.

I think the Pigtronix can do what I want to do but obviously I have to add the volume or expression pedal and buy their step pedal as well and, only having two loops at hand with that unit is not the same as having three with multiple expression pedals. Also I don't think you can step through the presets remotely if you are tying up an expression pedal for volume in the Pigtronix. Not easy to do in a live setting. Probably looking at two Infinity loopers if that's the case or just dealing with the RC-300 until, if and when, Roland does an update. Geez...

Cheers

Psychadelia

Actually, you can achieve the individual loop volume control rather easily on the old RC-50, which seems to get over-looked alot since the 300 came out... I have an expression pedal hooked up to the 50, and I have EXP 1 assigned to Current Volume min 75 max 125, and the best part is that It changes the phrase's volume for the the 'current' phrase, so if I step on the phrase 1 pedal I control that phrase's volume, if I step on phrase 2...

you get the drift  ;)

Syph

Damn, that's pretty awesome of the RC50! Gives me some nasty ableton thoughts for my FBC1010...

In regards to the RC300 save behaviour, I haven't had problem saving a settings only patch. Or to rephrase, I can save a patch with custom settings and no loop data. Or to rephrase again because looper terminology and syntax is a ****, when I load a patch on my RC300, I recall my drum machine data (on/off, level, tempo, beat etc), track settings, FX settings, assignments, and have 3 empty loops to record into as I please. I haven't tried the frippertronics set up, but I can't think of any reason that should interfere with the save behaviour....

I personally don't really find any issues the lack of global settings for assignments. My workflow involves building a template patch with the desired behaviour/assignments/FX that I would consider my "global" settings and then save this to patch 1. If I want to build a new patch I can then load patch 1, edit it as needed, hit save, scroll up x many patches, confirm save. 2 buttons and a scroll, done. Bam! New patch with all assignments working (like volume control).

Probably doesn't need to be said but just in case, the RC300 will fully cut sound when changing patches. Sounds like you just want to change patches between songs, so that should be sweet, but yeah, no seamless patch changes.

Cricket

Quote from: Syph on March 15, 2014, 11:30:56 PMIn regards to the RC300 save behaviour, I haven't had problem saving a settings only patch. Or to rephrase, I can save a patch with custom settings and no loop data. Or to rephrase again because looper terminology and syntax is a ****, when I load a patch on my RC300, I recall my drum machine data (on/off, level, tempo, beat etc), track settings, FX settings, assignments, and have 3 empty loops to record into as I please. I haven't tried the frippertronics set up, but I can't think of any reason that should interfere with the save behaviour....

Hm.   You're absolutely right.  Thanks... and I take back my earlier claim.   I just tried this again with my Frippertronics patch, deleting my loop data, and it saved.   I have no idea what was going on when I first tried.  Saving "settings only" isn't something I have much call for, so I did what I did, it worked for me, and I never gave it much thought.  Anyway, glad to know this is an option.

Quote from: Syph on March 15, 2014, 11:30:56 PMI personally don't really find any issues the lack of global settings for assignments. My workflow involves building a template patch with the desired behaviour/assignments/FX that I would consider my "global" settings and then save this to patch 1. If I want to build a new patch I can then load patch 1, edit it as needed, hit save, scroll up x many patches, confirm save. 2 buttons and a scroll, done. Bam! New patch with all assignments working (like volume control).

Second this part.   Getting around the "no global settings" hasn't given me any issues either and, as with most gear, the 300, while it has its issues, is pretty versatile and has been a lot of fun to use, I think.  I'm happy with my purchase anyway.

csassakb1

On the RC 300, I don't know if you can program the sound to be saved for each track, but I do know you have those knobs for each track so if you pull up track 30 for example, you can adjust the output for each one manually.  Just push the know down or up