Does the FTP work for left handed players?

Started by mchad, December 17, 2015, 04:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

I look at the lovely pictures of the FTP and how it's situated on a righty guitar. However if it was to be placed on a lefty the cable end is going to be at the high E string.

The GK3 has a reverse setting to cater to the lefty orientation. Does the FTP have a similar feature?

Elantric

QuoteThe GK3 has a reverse setting to cater to the lefty orientation. Does the FTP have a similar feature?

Not that I'm aware of.

Contact Fishman

http://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/

mchad

shawnb

Interesting question...  Is it really necessary?

In multi-mode synths, hardware and software, it's easy to "reverse" the channels on your patches.  Even that would only really be needed on patches with string splits.  Not necessary for patches that do the exact same thing to every string.

A left handed setting is required on the GK because Roland gear is hardware...

The only real benefit that I can see of a left hand setting that I can see is to make it easier to use the presets that have splits (or alt tunings, were they to add support)

Mount it however you want, I think.   Am I missing something???
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Mount it however you want, I think.   Am I missing something???
When you install stock FTP on a left handed guitar,  the hex PU cable may get in the way of existing controls , and the FTP Controller controls face opposite 180 degrees.

And we do not know if in FTP there exists hardware high pass filters which make the analog signal path different for each string.   

mchad

Response from Fishman:

Quote"...Hi Michael,
You can, but you still need to have the cable on the low e side of the guitar.  There is extra cable that can be released beneath the controller, and this has been enough for LH users to complete the installation.  It isn't as simple as just having the software different, unfortunately, there are hardware issues as well.  So, the product does work for lefties, but it has to be flipped around and the installation is less than ideal..."
If there are any lefties out there with an FTP installed I'd love to see a pic or hear your comments.

Elantric

Quote...Hi Michael,
You can, but you still need to have the cable on the low e side of the guitar.

Their Answer rather confirms to me that inside the  FTP guitar mounted controller, there exists separate  high pass filters which are tuned different for each string.