FTP - How to route the tripple play vst to midi output in fl 12?

Started by cj31387, November 04, 2015, 08:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj31387

I have to use the FTP software to get bending and stuff but i don't want to load vst's through that software in FL 12. I would rather send an output of the midi data in the FTP VST to a midi out and then have other synths have a midi in on that port. But this does not work. It's not sending any midi data out to that port. How can I route the FTP to another synth in FL 12?

https://db.tt/9UjGkgvN

dafrimpster

Have you tried setting up the ftp in hardware mode and using it as a generic midi controller in FL?

cj31387

Quote from: dafrimpster on November 05, 2015, 06:47:17 AM
Have you tried setting up the ftp in hardware mode and using it as a generic midi controller in FL?

Yeah that didn't work, but I may have done it wrong.

shawnb

I'm not familiar with FL...

But in a DAW, I always use the "two track" method with my FTP.   

On the first track, run the FTP vst, with a hardware synth patch.    Do not host a VSTi in the FTP.   All this track does is allow you to configure the FTP settings.

On the second track, run your VSTi, your soft synth.   Use the FTP port as its input.

This way, your VSTi is directly controlled by your DAW - FL.    Things like tempo are properly passed to your VSTi.   And you have full control over your FTP parameters in the first track.

Hope this helps - another configuration to consider.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

More benefits of the two track method are listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9952.msg71812#msg71812

The benefits of this are:
  -  All MIDI data, PCs, CCs, can be xmitted to your synths directly from your DAW.  You have optimum control over your instruments. 
  -  MIDI clock is controlled by your DAW and can be passed directly to your synths. 
  -  This works very easily in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode.  You don't have to worry about 32/64 or j-bridge, let your DAW deal with it. 
  -  Any DAW proprietary synths work, because they're being hosted by your DAW.
  -  It's very simple & has low memory usage.  You don't have a bunch of FTP instances.

The downside is:
  -  There is only one FTP instance running, so if you desire different configs for different instruments, you need to change the settings on your single FTP instance before working on the other tracks.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

The FTP midi data always comes from the FTP midi input port.   It doesn't come from the FTP vst. 

I think that is the direct answer to your question.

cj31387

Quote from: shawnb on November 05, 2015, 09:18:30 PM
The FTP midi data always comes from the FTP midi input port.   It doesn't come from the FTP vst. 

I think that is the direct answer to your question.

Well I'm not getting note bends directly from the FTP midi input port, only when i use the FTP Software, but then for some reason i cant send that midi bend data out to another vsti instance with output port.

cj31387

Quote from: shawnb on November 05, 2015, 09:10:37 PM
More benefits of the two track method are listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9952.msg71812#msg71812

The benefits of this are:
  -  All MIDI data, PCs, CCs, can be xmitted to your synths directly from your DAW.  You have optimum control over your instruments. 
  -  MIDI clock is controlled by your DAW and can be passed directly to your synths. 
  -  This works very easily in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode.  You don't have to worry about 32/64 or j-bridge, let your DAW deal with it. 
  -  Any DAW proprietary synths work, because they're being hosted by your DAW.
  -  It's very simple & has low memory usage.  You don't have a bunch of FTP instances.

The downside is:
  -  There is only one FTP instance running, so if you desire different configs for different instruments, you need to change the settings on your single FTP instance before working on the other tracks.

Ok this does work I tried it before but what I had to do was do program change to get it started. Program Change # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ect...

cj31387

Hmm thats kind of janky though. If i unfocus the FTP VST to anything else in FL I have to come back in FTP and double click hardware synth and switch the patch up then back down again.